Author Topic: Correct Battery  (Read 6604 times)

Offline rrenz

Correct Battery
« on: November 21, 2018, 06:56:13 PM »
What would be the correct battery for a NJ late January 66 Build? Yellow caps or Red Caps? Ive seen allot of discussions about batteries but there doesn't seem to be a good transition date that I can nail down.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Correct Battery
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 12:09:02 AM »
What would be the correct battery for a NJ late January 66 Build? Yellow caps or Red Caps? Ive seen allot of discussions about batteries but there doesn't seem to be a good transition date that I can nail down.
Does your car have A/C  or maybe smog?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rrenz

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 01:51:54 PM »
Does not. Bare bones c code.
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 01:09:56 PM »
For 65-66, the 22F battery had yellow caps and 24F had red caps.

24F was a production option, as Bob alluded, there may have been options, such as A/C that required the Heavy Duty battery option.  Otherwise, unless specifically checked on the order sheet, cars would come with a 22F.

There is no reproduction of the 22F currently.  The reproduction topper with yellow caps is made to fit a 24F size battery, which doesn’t make any sense.

I’m sure we’ll start seeing the yellow caps used incorrectly at shows.  In judged concours classes, there will be deductions.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 11:31:34 AM by CharlesTurner »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline hopeto

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 04:26:51 PM »
For 66-66, the 22F battery had yellow caps and 24F had red caps.
"66-66" Typo?
Am I assuming correctly that this applies to 65 also (Feb, 65 San Jose)? So no 24F ever came with yellow caps? Thanks
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 04:37:15 PM »
Does not. Bare bones c code.
The base battery for a no option or minimal option car 65-67 was the 22F battery with yellow caps . The heavy duty battery for a 289 would be a 24 F with red caps. The current repro battery is a 68-70 style 24 F battery. There is a distinct difference between the top style of 65-67 assemblyline batteries and 68-70 assemblyline batteries. No one is currently making a repro 22 F battery
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline sgl66

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 04:45:51 PM »
Heavy Duty battery will be specified on the build sheet if it came with one....that’s if you were able to find a build sheet
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:31:10 PM by sglbbs »
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 04:51:30 PM »
Does your car have A/C  or maybe smog?
For 66-66, the 22F battery had yellow caps and 24F had red caps.

24F was a production option, as Bob alluded, there may have been options, such as A/C that required the Heavy Duty battery option.  Otherwise, unless specifically checked on the order sheet, cars would come with a 22F.

There is no reproduction of the 22F currently.  The reproduction topper with yellow caps is made to fit a 24F size battery, which doesn’t make any sense.

I’m sure we’ll start seeing the yellow caps used incorrectly at shows.  In judged concours classes, there will be deductions.

I know this thread is for 66, but FWIW, my 67 with factory Select-Aire and Smog, has a date-correct 22F battery tray in it. HD Battery is also NOT called out on the Marti. My example may be an exception to these rules. My plan is to upgrade to a 24F H.D. anyways and retain my 22F battery tray as a wall flower.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 04:54:58 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 09:20:18 PM »
I know this thread is for 66, but FWIW, my 67 with factory Select-Aire and Smog, has a date-correct 22F battery tray in it. HD Battery is also NOT called out on the Marti. My example may be an exception to these rules. My plan is to upgrade to a 24F H.D. anyways and retain my 22F battery tray as a wall flower.
Typically the air conditioning option triggered the next level battery ,alternator and regulator upgrade.

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 10:44:08 AM »
If you have the original window sticker it would also show if it had the heavy duty battery upgrade. Both of my June 65 built cars list the heavy duty upgrade battery on the window sticker.one I'ds an ac car, the other not.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 11:32:30 AM »
"66-66" Typo?
Am I assuming correctly that this applies to 65 also (Feb, 65 San Jose)? So no 24F ever came with yellow caps? Thanks

Sorry, typo, corrected.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 11:42:46 AM »
I didn’t include 67, because I wasn’t sure on the caps... although have a 67 new car pic of a 24F with red caps.  I had only seen what I thought was a yellow cap 24F on a restored car.  The repro yellow cap battery topper is only going to confuse things further.

Will have to look through my reference pics to see if I can find any order sheets without HD battery checked and then the car came with the larger battery.  I had thought, like Bob, that options that triggered higher amp alternators/regulators would also trigger the HD battery option.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 12:05:14 PM »
"The repro yellow cap battery topper is only going to confuse things further."
you better believe it will. i cannot for the life of me understand why vendors can get something so wrong. it takes just as much effort to be incorrect (tooling,etc.) as it does to do it right. shame on whomever came up with that idea.
5F09C331248

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 01:02:08 PM »
"The repro yellow cap battery topper is only going to confuse things further."
you better believe it will. i cannot for the life of me understand why vendors can get something so wrong. it takes just as much effort to be incorrect (tooling,etc.) as it does to do it right. shame on whomever came up with that idea.

All they did is use the same repro battery topper, put a decal that fits on the raised section and include yellow caps.  Not even new tooling.  I just don’t see how this item is helpful to the hobby.  I guess if red caps are used with the yellow lettering decal, it would be slightly better.

Offline rrenz

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 01:59:15 PM »
I drive my car so one exception I’ve always taken is with the battery. I’ve been so turned away by the reviews on these repro batteries that I’ve been using the red cap topper for years. In anyone’s opinion Would it be more acceptable to continue using a red cap topper on a car that didn’t have a heavy duty battery or use a yellow topper on a incorrect sized battery for a more correct look?
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary