Author Topic: Coil spring color codes - 67 6 cyl  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Humpbackshooter

Coil spring color codes - 67 6 cyl
« on: October 17, 2018, 12:07:11 PM »
Does anyone know what the color codes would be for a dearborn coil springs would be?   I'm looking to redo my front springs and I didn't see any paint  swaps on them.  ( If they had them)   Have looked for some pics, but have not found any yet. ( I will now that I have called for help  ::) )    I think differant coils have differant colors based on what motor and package came with the car?

Note:
          67 coupe.....late
          I6
          standard package

Thanks,
Hump
7   F   01   T   160548
 65A   8   2A   06/H   64   2   W
AT    Manual Steering     Factory A/C

Offline 67gta289

Re: Coil spring color codes
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 05:08:07 PM »
Here is some info from the 60-68 MPC.  May not reflect what was done at the factory, actual unrestored examples from the same assembly plant and similar time period always preferred.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 05:12:30 PM »
And here is the one year only 67 MPC info.  I did not compare this to the 60-68 version.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Humpbackshooter

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 06:12:40 PM »
Thanks  67gta289.    Mine is a 65A.   Where did you find that info?

Thanks,
Phil
7   F   01   T   160548

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 07:37:22 PM »

We would also need to know if your car had AC, what transmission and if it had PS or Thermactor

Might want to add your cars info (in detail) to your signature in addition or instead of your list of cars ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:39:47 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 08:42:44 PM »

In both replies I referenced the MPC, but that might be something you are unfamiliar with.  It is the Master Parts Catalog.  For many years there were "one year" MPCs, and those were periodically supplanted by multi-year MPCs, such as the 1960-1968 and 1965-1972 versions.   The multi-year MPCs are available for purchase.  You will see many posts here with a link to a "free" online 1965-1972 version.

Because the MPC intent was for service, it is important to know that (1) not all individual parts were serviced, and (2) similar parts were often combined with other parts in order to reduce variation in inventory, a standard cost reduction practice.

Jeff is right on in mentioning that there are key options that determine springs.  In one of the attached MPC pictures you will see a table with check marks.  The various combination of options were mapped into a different spring rates and therefore spring part numbers.  Those key options are:

(1) body style
(2) engine/displacement
(3) transmission type
(4) steering - manual or power
(5) air conditioning yes/no
(6) thermactor yes/no
(7) GT yes/no (in the case of a 6 cylinder this item is moot)

Also I should mention that if you have a build sheet, that is the ultimate arbiter of what color springs you should have.  Attached is an example.  I don't have any 67 6 cylinder examples so this is NOT something you should copy for your car.

The last attachment is a small sample of the cross reference chart.  Note that the part number and color identification are listed, along with specifications on the spring including number of coils and wire diameter.

The process should be:

1. Find the build sheet if you can.  There are several threads that discuss where it might be, and it depends largely on the assembly plant.  From there get the color.
2. If you can't find the build sheet, give us the options and we can use the MPC to hone in on what might be right for you car.
3. If you can, from your existing springs count the number of coils, wire diameter, and free length.   The free length may not be the same after all of these years, but data is better than nothing.
4. You can ask others here that have a similar car to report back on what they have on theirs.

If you are fortunate, you will get a few pieces of information that come together so you can figure this out.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 08:53:27 PM »
And here is the one year only 67 MPC info.  I did not compare this to the 60-68 version.

Just as a note and in the spirit of sharing I have build sheets that show colors not covered or included in the MPC's for this application.  Not the first time ;)

Once they get back with the details we might get lucky and have a match with one of the copies I have but there are allot of details that would have to line up for that to work.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Humpbackshooter

Re: Coil spring color codes - 67 6 cyl
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 02:46:52 PM »
Gt......Thanks for the info.    I've looked before for the build sheet, but have not found it.  (Behind the back seat. )   
Starting at the bottom and counting up...9 coils.   lenght......16 11/16     Dia.  15mm  (19/32?)

Jeff.....I up-dated the sig.     Rookie move. 

I must say, there is alot of stuff here thats just makes my head spin.   One must research every part to be correct.

Thanks,
Phil

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:54:36 PM by Humpbackshooter »
7   F   01   T   160548

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 07:57:03 PM »
Looked through the buildsheets I have (limited) and I was surprised to find a match to the T code, non Thermactor, AC, automatic and wo/PS that you provided. Only difference was when the two cars were built.

Here is a close shot of the front and rear spring boxes from that build sheet

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:28:32 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 09:01:55 PM »
I was interested in what the MPC lists.  For this application, the front is listed as "Brown Gray."  The build sheet shows something in front of "Gray" but I can't tell what it is.  A "D" perhaps?  Is there something in front of that?

For the rear, the MPC lists C7ZZ-5560-B, a 610 lb. spring that appears to be the service part for two different springs - C7ZA-5556-M and C7ZA-5556-Z.  No colors listed.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 07:05:23 PM »
I was interested in what the MPC lists.  For this application, the front is listed as "Brown Gray."  The build sheet shows something in front of "Gray" but I can't tell what it is.  A "D" perhaps?  Is there something in front of that?

Build sheet was cropped tight on that side. Normally the printing starts in box #1 the box shown furthest to the left in the scan. Yes it appears there is an extra letter there. Normally colors are identified by three letters during this period - have some later ones with two letters.  Don't know if this was just a printing error, letter accidentally included or someone did not align the print with the boxes.  All the codes in the line above line up well so doubt it was an alignment mistake. Looks like they had problems with fitting the rear spring colors in the allotted space. At the same time it would have been difficult for workers to pull the correct front coil springs with only one identifying color if there were two on the the coil springs in the bins.

Really surprised I even found one considering the combination
Jeff Speegle

Offline Humpbackshooter

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 10:03:30 PM »
Thank y'all for your help.  🙏. I really appreciate the info that you are providing. 
Could the letters in front of the "gray" be  "BRO" for brown?  R would it have "BRN"?

Jeff, this car has no P/S.   Manual steering and the the wife doesn't like it.  She wants to put power on it. 😃  👎🏻
  I keep telling her that it doesn't need any. 

Thank you again

Phil
7   F   01   T   160548

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 10:35:11 PM »
Thank y'all for your help.  🙏. I really appreciate the info that you are providing. 
Could the letters in front of the "gray" be  "BRO" for brown?  R would it have "BRN"?

That is what we were discussing. No room (only one date box there) left so there is not enough room for additional letters. If they attempted to shorten Brown only that would make sense (if you have to get it down to one letter) would be "B"

Typical abbreviation for BROWN is BRN I've seen on build sheets from other years

Jeff, this car has no P/S. 

Got it. and corrected about. Typing error not a research error ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 10:45:31 PM »
Did revisit the copy that I posted the section from and it appears  :( that I cropped the edge more than I should (maybe 1/8" to the right)

Now I and you can see that it appears that box one has a number of typed letters were printed in that first box. One of those letters is a "B" another is a "N" really doesn't go well with the last letter in the box that appears to be a "D" or "O" to form or indicate a color I can identify but it is another clue. If the operator had just moved the front spring markings one box to the right it might have been easier to figure out.

Sorry I missed that the first time. Thought I had grabbed everything over to the far left margin

Looks like there is some evidence that they may have been marked 1 Brown & 1 Gray
Jeff Speegle

Offline Humpbackshooter

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 03:02:10 PM »
Thanks again for your time and patience with me.   I will say the the front springs did have a slight marking of what might have been  "gray". (The marks almost looked white.)  But there was so much rust on these springs that if there was any brown on them, I missed it due to the colors being so alike. 

As far as the pictured build sheet......Yes, if only.   But we ( I ) will work with what I got.

Following up on what GT said and not to hi jack the thread,  my back springs didn't have any colors on them at all.   Makes me wonder if they had been replaced in earlier yrs.

I'm sure that I'll have more ?s.

Thank you again
Phil

7   F   01   T   160548