Author Topic: 1966 dash harness replacement tips and best repro  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
1966 dash harness replacement tips and best repro
« on: October 15, 2018, 11:33:29 PM »
Hi all. Finally having to replace the under dash harness due to wiring issues. Any tips/ lessons learned on doing this ??? Any one have opinions on who makes the best repro harness? Thanks for a reply!!

This will be for my 1966 Metuchen coupe, automatic, no AC.
Bill
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1966 dash harness replacement tips and best repro
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 12:12:01 AM »
Lay the new harness out. I put a blanket on my hood with the new harness going where it would wind up. That's to get twists and bends out. Use the 66 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual a lot. Remove the heater, the glove box, ash tray, radio, speakers, console, and seats. Have in place the windshield wiper motor, courtesy lights, LH vent, pedals.
I used a coat hanger to pull wired across, twist ties to hold sections in place. Blue painters tape might work too.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 03:46:28 PM »
Thanks Jim, good pointers. Did you use a repro harness, good used, or NOS? Curious if anyone has used the dash harness from Alloy Metal. I have been pleased with their other harness'.
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 07:46:15 PM »
Did you use a repro harness, good used, or NOS?
Mine was NOS. It was at least 25 years ago when they were "cheap". Sometime in the past, the original harness was modified to add a stereo - in several different places (I detest amateurs that cut and splice). The wrapping tape was almost non-existent. I removed the old harness, "repaired" the several splices, re-wrapped with 3M non-adhesive tape (a sample roll, it's good to know sales reps), and installed it in another 66 that was in worse shame than mine. There's a "trick" to getting the connectors out their holes in the firewall, and it escapes me right now (I will not pull one to "remember" the trick).
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 08:05:55 PM »
............Curious if anyone has used the dash harness from Alloy Metal. I have been pleased with their other harness'.

Have for later cars. Sometimes they had the wires inserted in the firewall incorrectly (only a couple) haven't heard any reports of this recently on the boards. Overall would use them again if I needed to. Might want to PM Coralsnake here on the site ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 09:26:04 PM »
Mine was NOS. It was at least 25 years ago when they were "cheap". Sometime in the past, the original harness was modified to add a stereo - in several different places (I detest amateurs that cut and splice). The wrapping tape was almost non-existent. I removed the old harness, "repaired" the several splices, re-wrapped with 3M non-adhesive tape (a sample roll, it's good to know sales reps), and installed it in another 66 that was in worse shame than mine. There's a "trick" to getting the connectors out their holes in the firewall, and it escapes me right now (I will not pull one to "remember" the trick).
Jim
The trick is to use channel locks to depress the tabs top and bottom on one side by squeezingf, push the connector/metal tab in, then go to the other side and depress those two tabs and do the same. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 12:11:42 AM »
The trick is to use channel locks -
I knew the trick was to use channel locks, I didn't want the rest of the procedure to be a problem. Thanks. Glad to see you are "up and about".
Jim

Offline rrenz

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 10:03:48 PM »
For what its worth I've replaced every harness on my car EXCEPT the under dash with alloy metal products. Been very pleased with them.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary