Author Topic: 289 C code non-AC Thermactor Engine Fan Question  (Read 769 times)

Offline teslaman

289 C code non-AC Thermactor Engine Fan Question
« on: September 03, 2018, 04:50:05 PM »
Hello, I am a new member of this forum. Been a member of Vintage-Mustang forum for a few years.
I've got a 1967 San Jose coupe with a 289 4V, C4 trans, power steering, power brakes, no AC. Originally equipped with California emissions smog system with internally injected heads.  I would like to know what type of fan was originally put on my car and if a fan shroud was included. I have seen many types of fans with varying number of blades and I don't know which is correct. A ford part number for the correct fan would be very nice. Any help is much appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 05:20:31 PM by J_Speegle »
1967 San Jose deluxe coupe. Wimbledon White, vinyl top.
289 2V with C4 trans. PB, PS, T/E.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 289 C code non-AC Thermactor Engine Fan Question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 05:42:08 PM »
Welcome to the site - hope you find it useful in your concours focused endeavors

No shroud would have been used originally Someone else may post the fan engineering number before I get back to this one but in the mean time if you look at today's post in the thread below (Unrestored car picture section of the site) you will find some pictures showing what appears to be a standard (no clutch base) 4 blade steel fan

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11910.new#new

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 05:48:48 PM »
Attached is a generic picture first, used only to identify basic part numbers.  The other two pictures list the spacer (8546) and fan (8600)

The MPC is sometimes not correct due to the nature of service parts, but this should get you going in the right direction.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 06:21:58 PM »
Hello, I am a new member of this forum. Been a member of Vintage-Mustang forum for a few years.
I've got a 1967 San Jose coupe with a 289 4V, C4 trans, power steering, power brakes, no AC. Originally equipped with California emissions smog system with internally injected heads.  I would like to know what type of fan was originally put on my car and if a fan shroud was included. I have seen many types of fans with varying number of blades and I don't know which is correct. A ford part number for the correct fan would be very nice. Any help is much appreciated!

Welcome to the site Teslaman.
I have a November 2. 1966 actual build date 67 Coupe, sounds like a lot of similarities.
What is your projected build date or actual build date (if you know). May running changes over the course of the 67 model year, it very well can make a difference on some answers to various questions you may have.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 07:42:24 PM »
Welcome. Per the 67 Mustang Engine Accessories Manual (AM0157 pg 204), you should have a four blade fan, Ford C6AE-8600-E and no shroud. Only A/C equipped 289 engines, and 289HP engines, came with a factory installed shroud. (I put one on my 66 289 A code Hardtop anyway.)
Jim
PS: invest in a set of Osborn Mustang Assembly Manuals. You can thank me later.
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline teslaman

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 11:49:09 PM »
Thanks for the info! I currently do not know the exact build date. The car currently has an aftermarket fan (nothing like the original) that was put in by my dad but I do remember looking at the engine before that and am pretty positive that it had a 4 blade fan. I came here to ask because the mustang parts sites do not seem to have 4 blade fans that look like how I remember and they are listed for either 289 hipos or i6s. The fan pictured in 67gta289's post looks just like how I remember it, but none of the repros seem to get it quite right.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 11:54:55 PM »
............... The fan pictured in 67gta289's post looks just like how I remember it, but none of the repros seem to get it quite right.

That is just a drawing of a generic fan blade. Something Ford used in drawings for years to represent the part not the design nor shape and details.

But in this case it seems to match the ones in the pictures of the unrestored car

Don't expect to find every part in reproduced and in allot oc cases, unfortunately, that's a good thing considering the reproduction market in many areas.

Its a fan that was produced likely in the 100, 000's and used on allot of different cars. A nice rust free example should be a big challenge to find - just have to find someone who kept such a common part and many only focus on the rare and expensive parts ;) 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline teslaman

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 12:09:09 AM »
I googled the engineering number and found the fan on mustangtek: http://www.mustangtek.com/fan/C6AE-E.html
West coast classic cougar also seems to have some of these available. Thanks guys!