Author Topic: Red stripe heater hoses  (Read 692 times)

Offline bhoulis

• 67 GT350
Red stripe heater hoses
« on: August 22, 2018, 01:46:11 AM »
Posted this on the SAAC forums a few days ago and figured it might be of use to some of the folks over here. I took a stab at repainting my 67 heater hose stripes this weekend. Opinions on the results are welcome.
1. Materials - heater hoses ( I'm using the white striped ones I got from Marti). 6' length of 1/2" diameter wooden dowel, Lowes, HD. Wide tip paint stick, marker, pen thingy. Michaels craft store. Blue tape, the kind with the extra good edge sealing. Picture shows yellow tape being used but it bled under quite a bit so I re-did it with the blue.

2. Wipe hoses clean and let dry. I used a wax and grease remover. Insert dowel through hose and secure dowel so it doesn't roll around. I used c-clamps and scraps of wood to hold it down to the table.

3 Mask off to appropriate width. I used the white stripes as a guide. Measured when done and came out to 1/4" wide. Use the good blue tape. I when over the edges with the smooth side of a socket to get a good seal.

4. Follow directions on paint stick to get paint flowing. Wipe paint stick along masked off area of hose. Not too fast, not too slow, you'll see how the paint is laying down as you go. 2 passes may be necessary to cover the width because the tip is flat and the hose is curved.

5. Once you have it covered peel off the tape. Maybe you can wait until it dries but I took it off as soon as I finished with the paint stick. Bob Gaines brought up a good point that unmasking while the paint is wet lets the paint lay down at the edges better.

6. The finished product.

Opinions welcome. I'm sure with more experimentation the process could be refined. One thing I thought of was to, before releasing paint from the marker, take a round file or x-acto knife or something to re-shape the tip to conform better to the curve of the hose. I gave it a real quick try after I started the paint pen, now I have red files. Hope this helps others who need red 67 hoses. Brian

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 02:58:32 PM by J_Speegle »

1967 eight barrel

Re: Red stripe heater hoses
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 02:30:34 AM »
Your work looks great!. Have you tested a portion to see how durable it is? Is it going to rub off the first time you dress the hoses?  I cut white off, so it was replaced with white.

-Keith

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 09:13:00 AM »
NPD now carries the solid stripe red hose, part # 18472-28B  $49.95

Offline bhoulis

• 67 GT350
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 09:40:52 PM »
Seems to have pretty good adhesion. Had to work at it to scratch it off with my fingernail. WD40 on a paper towel will remove some but you have to wipe pretty vigorously. Same with the glass cleaner in the blue can that sprays out kind of foamy.  SprayWay I think is the name. Tried some No Touch Tire Foam on a paper towel and that seemed the best. Made the hose look good with minimal removal of the red.
Brian