Author Topic: Starter Motor identification  (Read 807 times)

Offline Tiny

Starter Motor identification
« on: August 21, 2018, 03:26:33 AM »
Can anyone tell me where I can find identification numbers on 289 66 mustang starter motor.  I have two starter motors but there are no numbers stamped anywhere that I can find.  Did starter motors have I/D numbers?
Pictures would be a great help.

cheers
67 San Jose Built GTA 390 Coupe
C6, PS, A/C

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Starter Motor identification
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 05:30:05 AM »
Can anyone tell me where I can find identification numbers on 289 66 mustang starter motor.  I have two starter motors but there are no numbers stamped anywhere that I can find.  Did starter motors have I/D numbers?
Pictures would be a great help.

cheers

Original starter motors had an ink stamp on them for identifying them. No stampings would be found on the (round) body of the motor. Look for casting numbers on the nose cone of the two you have on hand and report back. It is possible you already have a correct core for rebuilding or detailing the starter to appear as original.

I assume, you have a C4 transmission (using signature) but you did not specify. Manual trans is a different starter than an C4. Attached is a picture with the correct casting number for a C4 application 289 engine.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 05:42:52 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Tiny

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 04:41:41 PM »
Great, thanks for the info.  I had a closer look at one of my Starter Motors in the nose cone and found the stamping.  There is no sign of any stamping on the body of the starter but I assume the important thing for originality is the stamping on the nose cone and not so much on the stamping.

thanks again.
67 San Jose Built GTA 390 Coupe
C6, PS, A/C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 05:14:59 PM »

Early (at least into early 68 production with some overlap into 67 production) only carried an ink stamping for identification and those are often long gone

The snout is generally the part used for identification since you can have different variations of number of mounting points, depth and other differences. So that is your focus
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)