Author Topic: 1968 Dearborn upper shock mount "caps" finish?  (Read 631 times)

Offline RoyceP

1968 Dearborn upper shock mount "caps" finish?
« on: August 16, 2018, 08:34:01 PM »

I am restoring a '68 Cougar but the parts came from the same bin as a Dearborn built '68 Mustang. Were the shock tower caps originally phosphate / oil or were they semi gloss black? My car does not seem like it has ever had what one might call a "restoration" yet the shock tower caps appear to have been dipped in semi gloss black. Is this right or wrong?

Here's a photo that Jeff posted to the unrestored '68 thread showing a Dearborn '68 shock tower cap painted black.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:41:11 PM by RoyceP »
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1968 Dearborn upper shock mount "caps" finish?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 08:43:16 PM »
I am restoring a '68 Cougar but the parts came from the same bin as a Dearborn built '68 Mustang. Were the shock tower caps originally phosphate / oil or were they semi gloss black? My car does not seem like it has ever had what one might call a "restoration" yet the shock tower caps appear to have been dipped in semi gloss black. Is this right or wrong?
Dearborn would have typically been P/O . The dipped is more typical to SJ built cars. The exception is if it has the reinforcement washers tack welded over the threaded holes which were dipped painted to eliminate flash rust from the welding process most likely. This type of reinforced upper shock mount is not typical on regular Mustang and I am sure Cougars . I am sure Jeff S. has a multitude of pictures . FYI it looks like the mounting nuts got a coating of black paint during a previous owner freshening also . Those are typically plated silver and not painted.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:47:22 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 10:51:21 PM »
Not IMHO unusual to find those painted black after all these years. And though there is the possibility that the sub contractor that supplied San Jose (typically painted black top and bottom) common thought has been that NJ and Dearborn cars were supplied by a second supplier that provided them in P&O

For another unrestored example built prior at Dearborn to the example you found

\

Looking closely (difficult due to the glare and angle of the sun in the shot) you can make out a difference in the finish between the shock tower and shock tower support arm and the shock cap
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 12:48:24 AM »
P & O it will be.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock