Author Topic: 1966 factory gt automatic brake pedal  (Read 862 times)

Offline socalgt

1966 factory gt automatic brake pedal
« on: August 15, 2018, 10:26:28 PM »
It appears there is not a bumper stop on the factory brake pedal.....or is it somewhere not obvious to see?

Offline NEFaurora

Re: 1966 factory gt automatic brake pedal
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 10:22:48 PM »
Some Late '65 and '66 Mustangs did not get the "Rubber Snubber" and "Metal Snubber bracket", but rather they had just a piece of Stock Steel cut to length actually "Welded" to the Brake Pedal to act as the "Snubber" Bar.   It was actually "Hit or Miss" to whether you got a Manual or Automatic  Brake Pedal with the Correct Bracket and Rubber Snubber or just a Welded piece of cheap metal.  It's really "Unknown" whether this was just a "Supplier Issue" with the Brackets and Snubbers or whether it was a Cost cutting measure... We'll never really know.

The Replacement "Welded, Cut Stock Steel bar" was crude, but it did the job, Even though it would make a "Clunking" sound when people let off of the Brake Pedal sometimes. Many Late '65-'66 Mustangs had some of these "Welded Bar" Brake Pedals. The Brake Pedals with the actual "Correct Snubber Bracket and Correct Rubber Snubber" are more in demand because those are the actual Brake Pedals that are supposed to be there and were the correct design that was originally intended.

***See the Attached pic of a 1966 Mustang Automatic Brake Pedal from 6F07T3807xx  .  It is the Original Brake Pedal to the car.   I repainted it 20 years ago.  It was right before I had dipped the top of it in silver cast paint at the time.  *See the cheap small welded bar at the top where the bracket and snubber should normally be.  A lot of Late '65 and '66 Mustangs got these "cheapened" Brake Pedals.  I've pulled a number of them out of quite a few cars and replaced them with the Better "Correct" ones...with the Snubber and Bracket...as originally intended.  My 1966 Mustang Convertible 6F08T3529xx had one of these "cheapened" Brake Pedals as well.

:o)

Tony K.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:42:07 PM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline socalgt

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 08:53:18 AM »
Thanks for all the info.....I have the one without the rubber snubber....and yes it does "clank" when the pedal is released all the way....which is why I wondered if something was missing (the snubber).

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 10:54:48 AM »
With regard to the stop....steel or rubber....is the correct height for the pedal with it against the stop?  It seems that would be a bit high.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 12:03:19 PM »
You asked a Great Question....and I just checked....

The Pedal with the "Correct" rubber snubber and and "Correct" bracket has the top end of the rubber snubber almost level (Really close to level..just a few Millimeters shy) with the top of the Brake Pedal arm.

In the Pics that I posted, The "Welded Bar" type sits a good 1/2" lower than the top.  You can actually see it in the pictures. To be more correctly accurate where it "really should be", The bar should have been welded Flush with the top at a 90 Degree angle.  Also, Keep in mind that these pieces of stock bar steel were hand welded on....most likely by guys on the sides of the assembly line...I seriously doubt that the Pedal Supplier (If it was other than Ford)....welded on the Cut Stock Steel Bars... so I would suspect that there would be lots of height variations since they were welded on by hand... by at least a couple of different employees..

Tony K.
MCA#70001

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 12:22:16 PM »

Here's a good one from Alan from Texas on Ebay.... He might still have some of these pedals.  He sells lots of parts.  He's a car stripper.  If anyone has one, It will be him.  This one has the Correct Bracket and Rubber Snubber as you can see in the pics.  Shoot him an e-mail through Ebay... He's good to deal with...and these "Correct" Automatic pedals aren't getting any easier to find..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-1966-Ford-Mustang-Auto-Manual-Brake-Pedal-amp-Support-Assembly-Good-Bushings-/113182389817?hash=item1a5a323639%3Ag%3AsNoAAOSwQrJbZIx-&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=OAP5nWJZ9XCTJjtIotXXQdf973o%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Tony K.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 12:24:21 PM by NEFaurora »
MCA#70001

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 03:15:26 PM »
................  Also, Keep in mind that these pieces of stock bar steel were hand welded on....

Remember that allot of parts were done in the same fashion. Really no surprise in finding a simple arch weld

....most likely by guys on the sides of the assembly line...I seriously doubt that the Pedal Supplier (If it was other than Ford)....welded on the Cut Stock Steel Bars... so I would suspect that there would be lots of height variations since they were welded on by hand... by at least a couple of different employees..

Think that is an incorrect statement. Ford would have more likely required the supplier to fix or alter something that didn't work. They were not going to pay an employees to alter hundreds of thousands of pedals. Henry would have had someone head if they did. 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)