Author Topic: Engine Numbers - Date Codes  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Rusty#1

Engine Numbers - Date Codes
« on: July 23, 2018, 09:01:35 PM »
I am no expert and requiring insight.
I have just purchased my second project a 1968 GT fastback. I blew a press in rocker stud a pulled the heads to install screw in ones. While doing this, I figured it would be a good time to check the engine numbers to see how they relate to the car. With that said I have a 302 WF block date code 7M28. (Adjustable Rockers, Dead headed Head bolt hole..ect) and CF heads 4V 302 date code 7M27! Is this even possible? What is the chances of the date codes being so close? I read a lot of articles regarding the two Factories and production situations on these J code engines..
Anyway, if some one has any idea's feel free to chime in.
Thanks...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:19:19 PM by J_Speegle »
1970 FB Dearborn M Code, Built Feb,20,70
Black/Black, Comp Suspension, 4 speed wide, 9" 3.25 T-Lock
1969 FB GT J Code San Jose, Built July,15,68 Highland Green/Black, 8" 3.25, 4 Speed, Fact-Tacho

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Engine Numbers - Date Codes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 09:13:01 PM »
From examples I've seen yes its possible as much as it was possible as being off by two weeks - just for an example.  Sometimes both heads match some times they don't
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:19:36 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rusty#1

Re: Engine Numbers
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 09:22:08 PM »
Wow, I wouldn't have even asked about this but the numbers where so close. I wouldn't have guessed it was possible to have two factories on a original engine? I looked hard on the web and noting on this subject that I could find. The intake is defiantly wrong as it says 289 and the date code is 7A31... Almost s year apart. I can't find a Factory mark on it either?
1970 FB Dearborn M Code, Built Feb,20,70
Black/Black, Comp Suspension, 4 speed wide, 9" 3.25 T-Lock
1969 FB GT J Code San Jose, Built July,15,68 Highland Green/Black, 8" 3.25, 4 Speed, Fact-Tacho

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Engine Numbers
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 10:00:54 PM »
Wow, I wouldn't have even asked about this but the numbers where so close. I wouldn't have guessed it was possible to have two factories on a original engine? I looked hard on the web and noting on this subject that I could find. The intake is defiantly wrong as it says 289 and the date code is 7A31... Almost s year apart. I can't find a Factory mark on it either?

Of course this could also be an engine made from individual parts at some point and someone just got lucky. Maybe they should have bought a lottery ticket the same day
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)