Author Topic: Washer Jet caulk / dumdum and grill support tab blackout? 66 San Jose  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Morsel

Hello all,

I'm in assembly mode and was looking through the manual and I saw that it says that the washer jet hole was filled, wondering what was used if anything actually is there on assembly line cars. Then came across another thing I had never seen that said this tab on the front grill support was painted black, is this true and done as well? I've attached a couple pictures.

February 10th, 1966 San Jose, K-Code.

Thanks,

Jason

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 05:14:48 PM by J_Speegle »
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Washer Jet caulk / dumdum and stone deflector tab blackout?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 02:40:31 PM »
3M strip caulk will do nicely on the jet holes. yes the tab was supposed to be blacked out but i have seen some that were missed.
5F09C331248

Offline Morsel

Re: Washer Jet caulk / dumdum and grill support tab blackout?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 02:44:14 PM »
Do you happen to know if it was black caulk or that dark grey caulk that was used... and thanks for the quick reply...
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 02:45:20 PM »
probably black that has slightly faded.
5F09C331248

Offline Morsel

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 03:06:24 PM »
Thanks, on the grill support blackout, it brushed or sprayed and also was the screw really zinc, or was it phosphate or painted over as well? Sorry for all the questions :)

Jason

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 03:37:32 PM »
You may want to go for caulking rope, the 3M stuff is a sticky butyl these days.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15605.0

The lower grille tab blackout is a somewhat inconsistent thing.  The screw type varied also.  Jeff would probably be your best help on those.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Morsel

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 04:16:40 PM »
You may want to go for caulking rope, the 3M stuff is a sticky butyl these days.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15605.0

The lower grille tab blackout is a somewhat inconsistent thing.  The screw type varied also.  Jeff would probably be your best help on those.

Thanks Charles...

Jeff, you have any thoughts about what you've seen more often on the grill support blackout and screw finish? Was it brushed blockout or sprayed?

Thanks all...

jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Jeff, you have any thoughts about what you've seen more often on the grill support blackout and screw finish? Was it brushed blockout or sprayed?

Black out tab with a brush typically

Initial post last picture
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5371.msg30430#msg30430

Screw finish I believe would be zinc. What screw are you using?

Black sealant as washers with typically a single thumb print as a final look (as mentioned in other threads) Not sure if you you found the pictures that have been posted in the past using the search feature

Pic #1C
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12159.msg73744#msg73744

Pic #E3
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12291.msg74730#msg74730
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

Black out tab with a brush typically

Initial post last picture
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5371.msg30430#msg30430

Screw finish I believe would be zinc. What screw are you using?

Black sealant as washers with typically a single thumb print as a final look (as mentioned in other threads) Not sure if you you found the pictures that have been posted in the past using the search feature

Pic #1C
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12159.msg73744#msg73744

Pic #E3
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12291.msg74730#msg74730

Thank you for all this Jeff, the screw is being replaced with an original Zinc screw that we now have found, but didn't know if the blackout was done over the screw or prior to installation so the screw would still look Zinc, and the picture you sent doesn't have it ;) but if it's put on afterwards, then I can use what we found. The screw that used in the shot was from an AMK kit that if blacked out, I would just use that and not blackout over an original...

Jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Thank you for all this Jeff, the screw is being replaced with an original Zinc screw that we now have found, but didn't know if the blackout was done over the screw or prior to installation so the screw would still look Zinc, and the picture you sent doesn't have it ;) but if it's put on afterwards, then I can use what we found. ....

The picture confirms that the black out was done before the assembly (being attached to the car)

Can't see the head markings on the screw you got from AMK

Looking to see if I have a nice clear picture of an original

Jeff Speegle

Offline Morsel

The picture confirms that the black out was done before the assembly (being attached to the car)

Can't see the head markings on the screw you got from AMK

Looking to see if I have a nice clear picture of an original

Thanks Jeff, this is perfect and would LOVE to see a head marking, see if the ones we found match...

Jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Thanks Jeff, this is perfect and would LOVE to see a head marking, see if the ones we found match...

Appears that they (all three lower ones) were the typically seen flat hex head with no washer and the "C F" head markings

Like these

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:18:12 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Morsel

Thank you Jeff, these are perfect!

Offline jwc66k

The screw is p/n 42127-S8, the same as used on the grill ends and its lower attachment to the lower grill bar assembly. The head marking "CF" is occasionally reversed to read "FC". There is also a difference in the recess portion of the head design, early recesses are relatively flat, and later recesses have a slight upward slant to the "hex". As this particular part was use in all years for light trim attachment and grounds, many supplied were probably used, RBW, "D" and others.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline lancelot66

I had to check mine last night. Thought I had at least painted the tab black but nope. I have the screw wrong apparently also, as mine is a 42127-S2. Another detail to get right this weekend after I fix a C4 leak that has me sidelined currently....
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options