Author Topic: Refinishing HiPo "headers"/exhaust manifolds  (Read 2530 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

Re: HiPo "headers"
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 04:17:06 PM »
Ron--Thanks, but don't go to the trouble of looking it up.  I'm going to go with the paint and see how it works out.  Thanks, Ron

Offline 67350#1242

Re: HiPo "headers"
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 03:53:20 PM »
Kurt

Is this the Eastwood product you used?

https://www.eastwood.com/silver-hi-temp-coating.html

Thanks, Ron

The product I used was Eastwood's Stainless Steel coating product #10178Z  in 1 pint red labeled can.  I don't see that they currently carry this exact product but is similar to the one in your link.
Produces color similar to freshly blasted surface.  You may also consider the factory gray coating as it seems to be somewhat darker.   
I found my old can and the directions DO recommend blasting the parts.  Thin with mineral spirits.
Kurt.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Refinishing HiPo "headers"/exhaust manifolds
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 10:43:53 PM »
Once you get this all worked out don't forget the engine color spray where they meet the head - along with some of the mounting hardware.  This detail can differ from other engines years and models/sizes

NOTE: Moving the thread since the question is not specific to just 65-66's or just Hipo exhaust manifolds but instead to all cast iron exhaust manifolds through the years.  Like the other threads on the subject
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Refinishing HiPo "headers"/exhaust manifolds
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 12:14:00 AM »
On my HiPo exhaust manifolds I use small wire brushes, rinse throughly, dry, then dip them in Evaporust for 24+ hours, rinse, wire brushed more, then repeat the process if necessary. From there I just leave them bare and get the engine paint overlay at top correct, then wipe them down throughly with 3 in 1 oil to inhibit rust on the bare metal surfaces.
I would think the oil would burn off quickly.
I - take them to local machine shop uses wax and heat to remove the old studs.
I used two lock nuts and an oxy-acetylene torch on the studs. Haven't had a problem (yet).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.