Author Topic: Disc brake master cylinder  (Read 495 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

Disc brake master cylinder
« on: June 29, 2018, 06:42:20 PM »
I'm the "lucky" guy who's slowly re-assemblying a '65 K-code fastback (February 16, 1965/San Jose) that was taken apart in the 1990s and is now in several dozen boxes and milk crates.  As you can probably predict, it's not always clear where a part belongs when it comes out of one of the boxes, and if I can't figure it out, I turn to this great forum.  Today's Q deals with the car's disc brake master cylinder:  I have found 3 in different boxes and none of them is marked or tagged as being originally installed on this car (though I'm reasonably certain one of them was).  All three appear identical in every way; have the same long cast number on the bottom: 2225032; but each has a different three-digit number also on the underside:  101, 057, and 687.   And finally the word "Bendix" is on the rubber gasket in the lid on all three cylinders.  I'm trying to keep the car concourse correct as I go along, so I thought I better check with forum members before I randomly pick the cylinder that looks to be in the best condition.  If those three-digit numbers indicate a window of production or assembly, I haven't been able to find it.  So what do you think--would any of these 3 identical-looking cylinders be correct for the car?  Thanks, Ron 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Disc brake master cylinder
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 07:14:30 PM »
First I guess you have already read the thread below? Even with it being focused on a 66 survey it provides some clues that might be helpful to you and your needs

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17340.msg109190#msg109190

So considering current understandings about the subject I would suggest to first check the seats of the brake line connection ports to figure out what style each one is to begin with. From there (once you've determined 65's verses 66's) you can move onto the decoding the date codes if they are still visible

Still searching and trying to collect enough data points to confirm the dating method used though I believe at this point it will hold true
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 10:00:16 PM »
Hi Jeff:  Thanks for the response.  The problem I'm having is decoding the date code 057 on the disc brake master cylinder on my '65 K Code fastback(2.16.1965/San Jose).  I can usually decipher these codes fairly easily, but not this one.  Any ideas?  Thanks, Ron

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 10:49:14 PM »
Does 057 just translate to the 57th day of 65?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 11:02:07 PM »
Hi Jeff:  Thanks for the response.  The problem I'm having is decoding the date code 057 on the disc brake master cylinder on my '65 K Code fastback(2.16.1965/San Jose).  I can usually decipher these codes fairly easily, but not this one.  Any ideas?  Thanks, Ron

Right now its looking like the 64 and 65 ones were dated using the Julian calendar

If so 057 would be Feb 26 in a non-leap year. Going to be tight if your car was built later than scheduled. Not sure where the maker would have shipped from in the US
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)