Author Topic: 64-1/2 Door Hinge  (Read 497 times)

Offline must69

64-1/2 Door Hinge
« on: June 05, 2018, 02:27:37 PM »
A couple of questions regarding door hinges on mid July production at Dearborn. 
1) Are the door hinges and bolts body color or otherwise? I have a black car, so difficult to tell what color they originally were.
2) I have already broken one hinge trying to rebuild them. What is the secret to getting them apart?
Thans. 
Phil

Offline jwc66k

Re: 64-1/2 Door Hinge
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 03:26:46 PM »
The hinges and bolts are painted body color. They were adjusted to give a 3/16 inch gap to the rear and rocker before painting (the fenders were fitted to the door after paint).
I made a tool to remove the springs. I used a bracket from a 67 200 I6 alternator because of the welded in nut. There's a slot for the door stop that you will hve to make.
If you break off the roller stud, drill it out "carefully". There is a replacement in the rebuild kit. I use a hammer and drift pin to get the hinge pin out. There are brass bushings used as bearings.
If you opt for a new hinge, 64 1/2-65 have a squared off plate end, 66 hinges have a beveled end.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.