Author Topic: Hood Turn Signal Harness Loom  (Read 1050 times)

Offline rockhouse66

Hood Turn Signal Harness Loom
« on: May 07, 2018, 06:28:59 PM »
Starting a thread separate from the informative one about tail light harness loom details.  Does anyone have a nice original or NOS extension harness for the hood turn signals?  This would be the harness that goes from the firewall/cowl area to the turn signal harness in front of the radiator.  Jeff posted "No other main harnesses have braiding attached other than the tail-light.  There are some minor harnesses, mostly parts of the hood turn signal harness that plugs into the headlight harness and the other that attaches to the turn signal lamps on the hood itself." but I don't think he meant to imply that it was the same green/white as the tail light harness.

What remains of my original loom appears to be tan with a black "tracer".  Is this what is normally seen?
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Hood Turn Signal Harness Loom
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 06:34:35 PM »
I have a photo of this area on Bob Perkins' low mile Mach 1 car and it just looks black.  I believe that is a Dearborn car; would my San Jose car possibly be different?

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 06:40:59 PM »
Just some others don't confuse "major" with smaller minor looms I did also post in reply #7 of that same thread

There are a number of smaller looms that either didn't get wrapped or had the insulating loom covers/jackets installed but as others have stated the other major looms with just wrapped with the black plastic wrap

With that I was referring to the smaller tightly woven, rather than the loosely woven, looms such as the turn indicators, license plate light, hood and trunk light wire looms as well as some others. Just depends on what one describes as major I guess.

As for a possible difference in suppliers I think its been established that often the two plants got their parts from different suppliers so NOS examples may not reflect what was originally used or only match one plant and not one or both of the others

Don't think I have any pictures of NOS  examples to offer. Will see what originals I have
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 06:51:00 PM »
Jim - Just asking for clarification. Are you focusing on the hood turn signal loom covering or all the tight woven covering used for some of the other looms used in 69?
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 09:30:21 PM »
Jeff - I am only interested in that auxiliary turn signal harness for the hood turn signals that travels up front to tie into the turn signal harness.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 08:16:39 AM »
Jeff
That is the harness to the hood lights.  I am looking for details on the harness that runs to the front and passes along the front crossmember in front of the radiator.

However, you may be correct for that one as well.  My original is black on the end where the taped portion of the harness transitions to the protective sleeve/loom portion.  Actually looks like the end was dipped in a tar like substance.  But maybe it was coated or painted with some black stuff over it's full length?  The picture I posted of the Perkins car does look black like the harness loom that covers the hood lights.

The AMP repro harness is covered with a black sleeve so maybe it is more correct than I thought?
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 07:32:37 PM »
Removed that posting since it was not what you were looking for.

Reread your post above and if I had read it more carefully I would have noticed that you included "hood turn signals" and "travels up front" which should have prompted me to ask for clarification

Jeff - I am only interested in that auxiliary turn signal harness for the hood turn signals that travels up front to tie into the turn signal harness.

Since your didn't specifically ask about a particular plant nor production period ended up going through all of pictures and from what I can make out that separate loom was only used for a period of time at some plants  Not sure why the change was done but there were a number of wire loom related changes during 69 production for the Mustang

On the examples were I found the woven separate loom it appears to be the same brown woven design with a black paint or coating applied to the owner layer that tends to wear over time

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 07:42:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 10:35:06 PM »
Jeff - thanks for looking.  This is for my Oct. '68 San Jose built Grande.  I talked with Rhode Island Wiring today.  They are thinking, as you suggested, that the finished loom was coated with something that has worn off.  Actually, I have suspicions that the loom may have been "cleaned" in something that took the coating off.  There is no trace of a black coating except under the tape at one end.

I sent it off to RI.  Not sure they can do the brown/black weave then coat to black so I may have to settle for just a black weave to look like new finish.  I would have just used the AMP repro because it does have the black woven cover but, as you may know, the molded connectors have a different appearance so might as well try to get it right.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 11:49:04 PM »
Sound good. The whole change or two different style think still has me puzzled so I'm just going to collect  samples and vins and see if a pattern shows up. Haven't looked to see if there is a related page in the assembly manual (and the date of that page) did find the detail in the electrical trainign books for 69 and they don;t show a separate loom for the turns but all in one like I'm finding on cars in pictures

Another quest :)
Jeff Speegle