Author Topic: 66 Parking brake cable retaining brackets finish and head markings if any?  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Morsel

1966, February 10th, San Jose Build.

I'm wondering about the parking brake cable bracket and bolts... I assuming the finish is natural for both of the brackets themselves, but read somewhere in one of the threads that one was painted and one was natural, but maybe they were talking about something else. Also, was there any head markings on the four bolt heads? I've attached a picture for reference of the brackets I'm speaking of.

Thanks as always,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Online jwc66k

My Oct 65 San Jose hardtop brake cable bolts were clear zinc plated and the brackets were cad plated (possibly zinc). That is based on the appearance of the unexposed surfaces of both when removed. The exposed surfaces were rust.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Morsel

My Oct 65 San Jose hardtop brake cable bolts were clear zinc plated and the brackets were cad plated (possibly zinc). That is based on the appearance of the unexposed surfaces of both when removed. The exposed surfaces were rust.
Jim

Hey Jim, did you have any head markings on the bolts? Mine were so badly rusted I couldn't make out anything.

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Also, was there any head markings on the four bolt heads?

Yes there were typical markings

This example is from a little later in the production year. Looks like the often seen diamond IMHO

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online jwc66k

Hey Jim, did you have any head markings on the bolts? Mine were so badly rusted I couldn't make out anything.
As Jeff's picture "showed", a diamond head was the most common. Another "possibility" could be a "D".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Morsel

Thanks all, this is perfect...

Jason

Offline rrenz

originals from my 66 Jan NJ
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline dsielke

1966 San Jose, Build date Dec. 1, 65.
6R09A138419: 1966 GT Fastback, Springtime Yellow
6R08T138429: 1966 Convertible, Tahoe Turquoise

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator

Can't make out the head markings. Can you describe or confirm they match others posted for the record :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dsielke

Can't make out the head markings. Can you describe or confirm they match others posted for the record :)

Looking at a higher res version of the images I have it looks like a D, but I could be wrong. I can try to look when I get a chance.

Offline Morsel

This is a month and a half before my build, probably a good indicator for my car or something to follow at least...

Thanks for the info.

Jason

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Looking at a higher res version of the images I have it looks like a D, but I could be wrong. I can try to look when I get a chance.
I can tell from the picture posted that it is a "D". The brackets appear to be restored (cleaned with slight pitting). I think the diamond would be more common for SJ through 66 IMO. I am skeptical that the "D" hasn't been switched out but can't rule out the "D" marking. If I wasn't absolutely for sure that it was original hardware I would go with the more common IMO diamond if it was my car but that is just me. Good Karma for the effort of posting pictures regardless.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
JASON

I will send you some pictures via email shortly of what I have just taken off a car very close date wise and assembly plant to your K code

just so every one else knows the D version bolts is what I have. finish wise I assume it was just a heat treated dark steel colour.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
JASON

I will send you some pictures via email shortly of what I have just taken off a car very close date wise and assembly plant to your K code

just so every one else knows the D version bolts is what I have. finish wise I assume it was just a heat treated dark steel colour.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
Not to be splitting hairs but the dark color would not be heat treated in the case of a dark color on this particular fastener but S2  P/O. The heat treating was more for strength and the P/O was to prevent corrosion although minimal at best. Not to say that there could not be anomalies but I have observed numerous times a S8 silver finish on this particular screw used for the bracket. That was typically SJ cars I was seeing it on. The engineering drawing/assembly manual seems to support what I have seen so I never questioned it when the two matched up.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dsielke

Bob, The undercarriage on my convertible was coated in dealer undercoating and all I have done is clean it with mineral spirits. The screws are nickel plated or whatever the shinny finish is and the brackets are bare metal, no pitting but there is some discoloration probably from more than 50years coated with undercoating. All are positively original on this car.

This is what the same area looked like before and after cleaning. You can follow my ongoing undercarriage cleaning in the restoration section to see how much of the rest of my undercarriage has been nicely preserved.  :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 02:30:22 AM by dsielke »