Author Topic: 66 Dual Exhaust Rear Hanger question  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Morsel

66 Dual Exhaust Rear Hanger question
« on: April 30, 2018, 01:56:10 PM »
Hello all, been removing under coating (worst job ever, haha)... Anyway, I came across something that does not seem correct. The very rear exhaust hanger bracket is literally welded to the rear frame rail at two points. There is one nut and correct bolt, and then what appears to be two tack weld point at the bottom of the bracket to the frame rail on both sides. See my attached image, I've circled the area showing where the two tack weld are... this is not correct right? I assume this was some shabby work done by someone at some point, I just didn't want to tear it off before confirming this wasn't something just done for some reason at certain times. But not sure it would have since the point of these brackets and bolts is to be able to move them up and down for exhaust alignment.

I'm pretty sure I just answered my own question but throwing it out there on the off chance this is some weird anomaly...

Car is a 1966 GT K-Code, February 10th San Jose.

Thanks,

Jason

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 Dual Exhaust Rear Hanger question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 02:32:13 PM »
Hello all, been removing under coating (worst job ever, haha)... Anyway, I came across something that does not seem correct. The very rear exhaust hanger bracket is literally welded to the rear frame rail at two points. There is one nut and correct bolt, and then what appears to be two tack weld point at the bottom of the bracket to the frame rail on both sides.

The bracket that attaches directly to the frame for the dual exhaust is attached with two carriage bolts only originally.  Each has a flanged nut that tightens and keeps them in place. The bracket would not be welded to the frame nor would that allow the adjustment of the bracket as it is designed

Will post a picture in a little while to illustrate
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 02:44:54 PM »

The bracket that attaches directly to the frame for the dual exhaust is attached with two carriage bolts only originally.  Each has a flanged nut that tightens and keeps them in place. The bracket would not be welded to the frame nor would that allow the adjustment of the bracket as it is designed

Will post a picture in a little while to illustrate

Thank Jeff, this is exactly what I assumed but just wanted to be sure before I tore it off and grinned down the tack welds. It didn't make any sense to me since I knew they were supposed to be able to be adjusted up and down.

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 04:47:07 PM »
Are your 4 carriage bolts, 23530-S2, full threaded, or threaded about 7/8 inch only? The AMK Guide does not specify.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline sgl66

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 05:50:31 PM »
Are your 4 carriage bolts, 23530-S2, full threaded, or threaded about 7/8 inch only? The AMK Guide does not specify.
Jim
The bolts should be 2 1/4” total length and coarse thread. Not sure what AMK sells but I was looking for one a few years ago, I could only find 2 1/2 “ I ended up finding a set of original brackets and bolts...just to have 1 bolt

-Morsel, do the frame rails have crush tubes? It would be a lot more effort to tack weld the brackets than pop in another bolt.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline Morsel

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 05:55:23 PM »
No, tubes are fine, not really sure why they did that... I'll have to look closer at the whole thing when I get home tonight, and check my bolts, they appear to be original when I took them out, but can't remember what they look like right now.

Jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »
Though lots of things to get in the way of pictures a few as promised

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 06:53:53 PM »
Though lots of things to get in the way of pictures a few as promised

Thanks for getting that together Jeff, that's perfect...

Jason

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 07:22:48 PM »
Here's some pictures (first two from an e-bay seller, the third unk) of the "crush plates" for dual exhaust systems in the frame rail cut out of a car, and a drawing of a replacement.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »
The bolts should be 2 1/4” total length and coarse thread.
That I know.
This is what I'm asking, threaded the entire length of the bolt, or only about 7/8 of an inch from the tip.
Jim

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 07:56:43 PM »
That I know. This is what I'm asking, threaded the entire length of the bolt, or only about 7/8 of an inch from the tip.
I had the answer all along, the bolts should be threaded about 7/8 of an inch from the tip. Look in the middle of the picture. AMK supplies full length threaded bolts.
Jim

Offline Morsel

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 09:14:00 PM »
I had the answer all along, the bolts should be threaded about 7/8 of an inch from the tip. Look in the middle of the picture. AMK supplies full length threaded bolts.
Jim

I'll have to look at mine and see what I have... I keep finding either original hardware or hardware that's been replaced with garbage ;)

Thanks,

Jason

Offline Morsel

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 10:27:59 PM »
Ok, I just got home and looked, I should have realized this when I was looking at it last night, but these guys were morons that put this bracket on and tack welded it. They used the wrong hole to mount it, they used the furthest back hole for the one bolt (see photo I circled the one they used), and then tack welded to the bottom of the frame rail. The funny thing is, there is nothing wrong with the real location, holes are there and the crush plates are fine... so stupid. Oh well, this is the type of stuff you find I guess. The other problem is I only have one bolt and nut per side, and they look to be original, so I guess they just chucked the other one needed...

Crazy...

Jason