Author Topic: Floor mats  (Read 1723 times)

Offline 21.04

Floor mats
« on: April 20, 2018, 06:32:19 PM »
I'm trying to hunt info on floor mats and want to pose a few questions that I'm hoping some forum members can help with.  I'm collecting parts for a t-bred resto on  SJ K code convt.  Projected build date 7/1/66.  manual trans.  Where any cars equipped with floor mats at the assembly plant, at the dealership or were mats an additional accessory item?  I ask that to help me know whether I'
d want to show the Kar with or without mats.  Also, I have studied several original early mats produced in the mid 60's and they all seem to have the Fomoco logo surrounded by a rectangle and also that P.P.I molded above or below the logo.  I have not seen any reproduction mats with the P.P.I. script, but have seen several repro mats with the Fomoco logo and rectangle only.  Also seen several mats with Made in Canada as well.  Are there any known Ford replacement mats with a Fomoco logo only with no P.P.I. script and are the mats that have "Made in Canada" also considered a genuine Ford Product or another repro version?

-Matt   
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Floor mats
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 06:34:12 PM »
mca rules require that all mats be remove for judging for your year/model. other organizations may have different rules. best to check with them before showing.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 07:15:52 PM »
I'm trying to hunt info on floor mats and want to pose a few questions that I'm hoping some forum members can help with.  I'm collecting parts for a t-bred resto on  SJ K code convt.  Projected build date 7/1/66.  manual trans.  Where any cars equipped with floor mats at the assembly plant, at the dealership or were mats an additional accessory item?  I ask that to help me know whether I'
d want to show the Kar with or without mats.  Also, I have studied several original early mats produced in the mid 60's and they all seem to have the Fomoco logo surrounded by a rectangle and also that P.P.I molded above or below the logo.  I have not seen any reproduction mats with the P.P.I. script, but have seen several repro mats with the Fomoco logo and rectangle only.  Also seen several mats with Made in Canada as well.  Are there any known Ford replacement mats with a Fomoco logo only with no P.P.I. script and are the mats that have "Made in Canada" also considered a genuine Ford Product or another repro version?

-Matt
The cars were not typically equipped with permanent type floor mats at the assembly plant. The permanent type mats would be a dealership additional accessory item. That is why during judging any mats are required to be removed.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:37:21 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 07:36:47 PM »
The cars were not equipped with permanent type floor mats at the assembly plant. The permanent type mats would be a dealership additional accessory item. That is why during judging any mats are required to be removed.

This is true for 1965 and 1966 for sure. However, I believe that it may be a question for 1967. If one ordered the Car with the Protection Group Option, which included Door Edge Guards, License Plate Frames, and color-keyed Floor Mats, (a Factory Option, not a "Dealer Add-on Accessory/Option"), the question is, did the Factory put these in the Trunk for the Dealer to install, or did the Factory expect the Dealer to supply this Factory Option from his own inventory ? I have no documentation one way or another.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 09:38:03 PM »
This is true for 1965 and 1966 for sure. However, I believe that it may be a question for 1967. If one ordered the Car with the Protection Group Option, which included Door Edge Guards, License Plate Frames, and color-keyed Floor Mats, (a Factory Option, not a "Dealer Add-on Accessory/Option"), the question is, did the Factory put these in the Trunk for the Dealer to install, or did the Factory expect the Dealer to supply this Factory Option from his own inventory ? I have no documentation one way or another.

Bob
I amended my post to reflect the very small minority. Be prepared for push back in MCA concours given the rule of no mats in car.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:46:53 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 09:48:52 PM »
..................the question is, did the Factory put these in the Trunk for the Dealer to install, or did the Factory expect the Dealer to supply this Factory Option from his own inventory ? I have no documentation one way or another.

If part of a factory option or ordered with the car (prearranged sale) I believe those parts were included in the trunk with the other items such as hubcaps. While if added to the car after it was received or part of of an upsale during a post delivery sale or to improve its appearance for the lot or show room would have been added from dealer inventory.

In some examples on early cars where the Marti report is available some odd/unusual items have been listed leading us to believe that they likely were shipped with the car.  I don't recall any seeing any that mentioned mats but if part of a package I would not expect them to be listed separately

Matt I suppose that you have already looked at prior threads, all the pictures and all the various versions that were supplied

I have some some that appears to be original though without the supplier PPI initials but since I'm not the owner and only owner can not be certain of their origin
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:54:46 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 21.04

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 06:11:36 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I have searched archived posts for "floor mats" and didn't seen any related to the different manufacturers or Ford replacement versions.  Thanks for pointing out that mats are not shown installed.  It would be my purpose for searching for mats.  If they are not installed at a show, I will hunt for other parts and not waste $ on something I won't be needing. 

-Matt
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 12:36:28 AM »
Thanks Jeff.  I have searched archived posts for "floor mats" and didn't seen any related to the different manufacturers or Ford replacement versions.  Thanks for pointing out that mats are not shown installed.  It would be my purpose for searching for mats.  If they are not installed at a show, I will hunt for other parts and not waste $ on something I won't be needing. 

Mats will help protect the heal pad and carpet from breaking down.   If your going to be showing be aware that too many options/accessories can somethings result in deductions but that's   subject for another area of the site or on that clubs forum ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 06:46:27 AM »
Is it fair to say that 1965/6 convertible mats were different given the narrower floor?
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 09:19:13 AM »
yes & no. the mats were one size and needed to be trimmed for convertibles.
5F09C331248

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 09:36:55 AM »
yes & no. the mats were one size and needed to be trimmed for convertibles.

In addition to one size fits all, with trimming; the front, two piece accessory, for 65 through 68 was the same part was used for all years, all body styles; available in 5 colors.

Black reference service part number C5ZZ-6513086-C for future search results hits for those that search by part number.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline C6ZZGT

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 12:14:41 AM »
And don`t forget that the first mats did NOT have the running horse on them . Sorry don`t have the time frame info handy .
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
40+ yr parts man , over 25 with Ford.

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2021, 06:59:45 PM »
Thanks guys,
So it this where they should be trimmed or should it be in the actual recessed groove?
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build