Author Topic: Dilemma: Wrong Starter or will this pass Concours?  (Read 4448 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Dilemma: Wrong Starter or will this pass Concours?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 10:57:06 PM »
Bob,
Give me a break.  You have an entire company supposedly selling wrong starters to guys based on it being manual vs automatic and then others chiming in saying long nose and short nose when I see no real difference in size.  Both the starters look exactly the same size to me in terms of overall length.  You are also talking to a guy that is essentially a newbie compared to some of you old timers.  I'm still trying to figure out why a company that rebuilds starters sold me supposedly the wrong starter for my kar because I need a long nose "automatic" even though I have a 4-speed manual.  What a nightmare!
Sorry you lost me . It reads like you think I have something to do with the company you bought your starter from . It is the information that is the same not any connection. I have no clue who you bought the starter from. So I guess I have to write up a magazine page with my information and post a picture of that to have the same credibility? My information and the professional rebuilders in my area match the information of the rebuilders you got a starter from (although a 1970+ style starter). That might be your first clue. Sorry I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear. Newbie or not if you can't see the physical differences between the starters in the pictures I posted on the SAAC website (posted link) then It is hard to help you. I think I would be better off letting others answer your questions from now on.  ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 05:36:22 AM »
Sorry you lost me . It reads like you think I have something to do with the company you bought your starter from . It is the information that is the same not any connection. I have no clue who you bought the starter from. So I guess I have to write up a magazine page with my information and post a picture of that to have the same credibility? My information and the professional rebuilders in my area match the information of the rebuilders you got a starter from (although a 1970+ style starter). That might be your first clue. Sorry I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear. Newbie or not if you can't see the physical differences between the starters in the pictures I posted on the SAAC websites(posted link) then It is hard to help you. I think I would be better off letting others answer your questions from now on.  ;)

For the record of this discussion, if you are not a member and/or logged in to the SAAC forum, you do not get the images attached to the dialog, perhaps this is where the O.P.'s "frustration" begins.

The link (without the images) doesn't in itself resolve the O.P.'s questions. Even though I understand the differences in the starters (both visually and application-wise), I can see by reading through this thread why all the frustration the O.P. Is experiencing has happened. I imagine the 'now deleted image(s)' from the Fairlaner article may have held the answers to the O.P.'s dilemma but I didn't see it either before it was removed.

"Pictures speak more than 1000 words"...and yet we have no pictures in this thread. I believe this (which witch is which) situation HAS been brought up in this forum before too but even in that discussion, if memory serves, there was a bit of disagreement over application and use of a short-nose vs. long nose for certain early Mustang manual transmission applications (with ring gear tooth count again being the determining factor).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 05:39:39 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline sgl66

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 09:36:38 AM »
Good explanation here with pictures https://static.speedwaymotors.com/images/pdf/91067433.pdf

Also beware that noses with a DZxx part number from the 70’s Have a slightly wider diameter and may not fit into a 65/66 block plate without modification
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline evantugby

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 05:53:31 PM »
Sorry you lost me . It reads like you think I have something to do with the company you bought your starter from . It is the information that is the same not any connection. I have no clue who you bought the starter from. So I guess I have to write up a magazine page with my information and post a picture of that to have the same credibility? My information and the professional rebuilders in my area match the information of the rebuilders you got a starter from (although a 1970+ style starter). That might be your first clue. Sorry I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear. Newbie or not if you can't see the physical differences between the starters in the pictures I posted on the SAAC website (posted link) then It is hard to help you. I think I would be better off letting others answer your questions from now on.  ;)

Bob, just understand that while you might understand something clearly doesn't mean others do. I love your inputs and I've learned many things from you so please keep the posts coming. So when you hear follow-up questions or confusion, know it's an opportunity to further mentor newbies with additional feedback. If we can't rely on you as a site leader/mentor, God help us.  :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 09:29:07 PM by evantugby »
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 06:04:46 PM »
what is the correct number of teeth on the flywheel for a 66 gt350?
if he has the wrong flywheel, who sells the best oem exact repro?

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 09:34:25 PM »
correct for 66 gt350?

Offline sgl66

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 10:31:11 PM »
what is the correct number of teeth on the flywheel for a 66 gt350?
if he has the wrong flywheel, who sells the best oem exact repro?
Correct number of teeth from the factory was 160. Replacement ring gears were knocked down to 157 according to a quote from Fred Ballard in this thread http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10175.0

66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline evantugby

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 06:27:16 PM »
correct for 66 gt350?

Is this starter for sale?  PM me if so. 
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK