Author Topic: 65 San Jose - Red Oxide Primer?  (Read 833 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

65 San Jose - Red Oxide Primer?
« on: March 21, 2018, 02:27:54 PM »
The underside of my 1965 fastback (San Jose/2.16.1965) is painted with what appears to be the red oxide primer I've seen on other '65s from the San Jose plant.  My car is with the painter now and he's asking me for a source of that primer so we can duplicate the correct color and material during the paint process.  Does anyone have a product name and part number for this primer?  Thank you, Ron
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:46:56 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Red Oxide Primer?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 04:46:03 PM »
Just want to confirm that you found red oxide color floor at the rear of the car, is that correct?  Asking since, in 65 production at San Jose, red oxide epoxy primer sealer was not always used. Have examples with projected build dates of 2/10/65 and 2/18/65 that didn't use red oxide at the rear.   Just trying to confirm what and where you found clues. 

Also remember there were likely two different tones or tints of the red oxide applied to the bottom of the car. One from the firewall rearward and one from the firewall forward in that order.

Nothing straight out of the can will likely match. If you do a search you will find descriptions of mixes, additives and base products others have used.

Try words like " red oxide"

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:51:29 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)