Author Topic: '66 289 a/c compressor mounting bolts  (Read 966 times)

Offline socalgt

'66 289 a/c compressor mounting bolts
« on: March 08, 2018, 08:03:10 PM »
Other than wishing I didn't have the power steering pump installed......any one have a "trick" for installing the 4 mounting bolts to the bottom of the compressor.....can't really see how to get in there.

Thanks!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: '66 289 a/c compressor mounting bolts
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 08:23:40 PM »
Other than wishing I didn't have the power steering pump installed......any one have a "trick" for installing the 4 mounting bolts to the bottom of the compressor.....can't really see how to get in there.

Thanks!

Take the bracket off and install the compressor/bolts and re install both as a unit. Sorry that is how I always have done it .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 08:35:57 PM »
Other than using numerous tools, swivels and banging knuckles allot Bob's method has its benefits in my experience
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 09:07:49 PM »
I've used ratcheting wrenches to get under there but have to be careful not to scratch the pump on the back bolts
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline socalgt

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 02:33:40 AM »
Thanks for the replies....sounds like there's no easy way.....(what a surprise)....to do this....hate to remove the mounting bracket just to put it back...but I see your point.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 01:35:14 PM »
The setup is designed for easy install with the compressor mounted to the bracket.  There should be 3 studs already installed on the motor.  With the compressor mounted to the bracket, just slide the bracket over the studs, then use a ratchet with a long extension through the holes of the p/s bracket to tighten the locking nuts. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline socalgt

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 06:04:22 AM »
Almost gave up....managed to install them after loosening the p.s. mounting bracket.....not easy...as you say, they must have been joined before installation at the factory.

Thanks....