Author Topic: Odd part marking, crank pulley  (Read 849 times)

Offline KevinK

Odd part marking, crank pulley
« on: March 04, 2018, 11:44:13 PM »
Cleaning up some parts on my 67. I found this odd marking, almost like trying to cover the part number. It would take quite a bit of force to make this mark. The pulley is pretty deep to possibly be from a vise if you had a small one. Has this been seen before?
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline KevinK

Re: Odd part marking, crank pulley
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 01:22:32 AM »
Since no one replied, I have concluded this was a silly qiuestion. Most likely this was done post assembly and not related to Ford production. In addition the engine was replaced in the 80s and original parts like pulleys were swapped over. Thanks for looking.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 01:40:48 AM »
Since no one replied, I have concluded this was a silly qiuestion. Most likely this was done post assembly and not related to Ford production. In addition the engine was replaced in the 80s and original parts like pulleys were swapped over. Thanks for looking.
It is not a silly question just one that no one had a constructive comment for. Example, I think I have seen the hash mark before but didn't pay attention to nor do I remember it being over the engineering numbers or not. I didn't think it was constructive enough to add to the discussion so I didn't post. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 02:39:37 AM »
It looks like a bad casting to me,

But only guessing of course.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 08:36:53 AM »
I am glad you posted it as some times those thing are very important. I have not seen any thing like that and do not know what it means.

Offline tobkob

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 10:56:28 AM »
It is not a silly question just one that no one had a constructive comment for.
+1   Some of us make a mental note of oddities like these but don't have any first hand experience to add to the conversation :)

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 03:03:47 PM »
I've found that the community typically chooses to respond or not respond quickly to "Has anyone seen this before?" questions with a pause unless they have knowledge of experience in the matter. This is likely the better of the two choices, the other would be to receive a dozen "NO" responses that would not further the search for info but it does leave the person asking the questions to wonder if anyone is reading their posts.

Then within two days of the post normally someone will respond with a - "No, haven't seen that before" to let that the poster know that its been seen and read while on a few occasions the post gets so response since no one apparently have any thing to offer. The internet as taught many of us to expect quick almost immediate responses, free and never ending access to all the information one could imagine. Unfortunately that is not always the case.  This is not a direct comment about your post just one that reflects what I've at least seen since the internet has been available to the public

To your post. No have not see this done before on a pulley but have on some other parts but very rarely. Not sure if it was to correct a mis stamping or originally to render the part unusable (inventory purposes and the like). But no solid experience nor knowledge of this one from me today  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)