Author Topic: Hardware ID?  (Read 950 times)

Offline KevinK

Hardware ID?
« on: March 03, 2018, 06:45:38 PM »
Late 67 coupe, 289 auto, San Jose. I have these 3 screws that im not sure where they were removed.

Disassembled so far
-hood and hinges
-front clip, fenders and head light buckets
-Front grill, front valence, grill
-engine and trans
-cleared all hardware from radiator support, inner fender

Suspension, brakes and steering are intact as well as the firewall.

My guesses are
Voltage regulator, 2 screws
Solenoid, 2 screws
Inner fender splash shields, ?
Grill area,?

Any ideas? Thanks
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Hardware ID?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 06:59:18 PM »
Late 67 coupe, 289 auto, San Jose. I have these 3 screws that im not sure where they were removed.

Disassembled so far
-hood and hinges
-front clip, fenders and head light buckets
-Front grill, front valence, grill
-engine and trans
-cleared all hardware from radiator support, inner fender

Suspension, brakes and steering are intact as well as the firewall.

My guesses are
Solenoid, 2 screws
Inner fender splash shields, ?
Grill area,?

Any ideas? Thanks
If the finish is P/O more likely splash shields.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 07:11:49 PM »
My guesses are
Solenoid, 2 screws
Those screws are usually clear zinc plated. Some dimensions (diameter, threads per inch, length) of the screws in question would make identification a lot easier. Nice touch using the penny.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 07:40:38 PM »
A screw that was used in dozens of locations and head markings that were often found through out the production year. Some other head markings are mixed in also but this appears to be the most often found.

Here are a few locations I found at the front of the car in a quick scan of later San Jose built 67s

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline KevinK

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 08:07:03 PM »
Lots of good answers. The screws were degreased and soaked in evaporust twice. I just wire brushed them by hand and dried them. They look refinished and painted clear. At first I thought the splash shield screws would be in worse condition but they were likely covered by sound deadening.

Hex head .37”
Outside thread .24”
Inside thread .18”
Thread length .64”
Head marking, diamond

I looked over the car for screw hole locations. Came up with a few :solenoid, volt reg., ac condenser (missing), washer tank (missing). The other items Jeff pictured on the firewall are still on the car.  I don’t see a shield on the heater motor.  I did just remember the heater control valve might have been mounted with them too. I did have a 3rd hole by the voltage regulator but it looks like something aftermarket. 

I see in Jeff’s picture a diamond head marking on the splash shield. I’ll label them for the splash shield and there seems to be 3 holes there.  I’m sure I will be short some on assembly.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 08:09:23 PM by KevinK »
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 08:25:17 PM »
Just for your use and others viewing this thread. All of the pictures I posted had the diamond head markings except the throttle crank but have that markings on other examples from the same plant.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 12:31:44 AM »
Based on the dimensions you gave, the part number for those screws is 31498-S2. If you go to the Library section and download the two hardware spreadsheet files for car's year, you can determine all the applications for that part number.
Read the instructions for Evaporust on the container. You have about two weeks before a flash coat of rust will appear. 
For future reference, American screw threads are measured in a number per inch. For the above screw, it's a size 14 (sometimes referred to as a 1/4 inch) diameter, with 10 threads per inch. The length is 5/8 inch.
Pictures don't tell the entire story.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.