Author Topic: Painting of rear valance?  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Morsel

Painting of rear valance?
« on: February 28, 2018, 06:55:12 PM »
Hey all, I looked this up and was wondering what it meant:

Question 8 – I know that part of the body was assembled when it was painted with body color. What parts do I need to have on the uni-body and which panels were painted off the car?

You are correct; some of the body parts were installed prior to painting the cars body color and because of that retaining parts such as hinges and bolts were also painted. Both doors, trunk lid and the rear valance (number of mounting screws installed at the time of painting differs from plant to plant) at the time the body was painted. The rear valance was allow to hang from the taillight panel this let overspray wrap around the ends and pass through the back up light mounting holes onto the panels behind them in a limited way. Rear bumper guard mounting brackets were also installed behind the valance and end caps/quarter panel extensions were loosely installed on but slightly away from the body.

My question is specifically to the rear valance, so when you say "it was allowed to hang", what does that mean, mainly asking because I'm wondering about the attaching screws and is those were painted or not, was it attached with them or was the rear valance painted at he same time, but not attached...

Just looking for some clarification on this.

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Painting of rear valance?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 07:44:07 PM »
it means the screws were not fully tightened. so therefore the valance was 'hanging'. yes the screws it was hang by were painted. not complicated at all.
5F09C331248

Offline Morsel

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 07:55:38 PM »
it means the screws were not fully tightened. so therefore the valance was 'hanging'. yes the screws it was hang by were painted. not complicated at all.

Thanks... just wanted to make sure, mainly about the screws...
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 08:29:34 PM »
My question is specifically to the rear valance, so when you say "it was allowed to hang", what does that mean, mainly asking because I'm wondering about the attaching screws and is those were painted or not, was it attached with them or was the rear valance painted at he same time, but not attached...

Installed screws would have been tight IMHO

Even with the screws tightly installed along the top (not over tightened) the valance will hang down.  Screws were not tightened or retightened after the paint job   at any of the plants and we don't find evidence of them being tightened after paint on unrestored cars.

Remember that if it was built at Dearborn or NJ all the screws were installed prior to exterior paint at San Jose only two screws were installed prior to paint
Reconsidering this statement and will be discussing more/new findings in threads focusing on 65's from these factories

This is a fairly important details in the overall look under the car at the rear. With the valance painted off the car often painters will allow overspray and direct application to the rear cross member and onto the lower trunk drops and forward panels. On a car painted with the valance in place the valance works as a mask eliminating 95% of any of the paint from going forward onto the rear cross member and rear underside panels. As shown in other threads if the car has back up lights those holes will allow some paint to pass through onto the rear cross member directly behind the valance and some overspray will enter at the ends of the valance since it hung down (not pulled in at the lower corners) at that point in the build
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 06:51:08 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 12:25:21 PM »
So Jeff, just to add, the lower hardware studs attached to the rear valance that pass through the lower quarters were tightened and finished as well? One would presume that the edge of the lower rear quarter and trunk drop off, where they were spot welded together, might be left primered as paint wouldn't reach this area??
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 12:33:35 PM »
Not the best pic, but this area here.
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline Morsel

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 01:03:39 PM »
Installed screws would have been tight IMHO

Even with the screws tightly installed along the top (not over tightened) the valance will hang down.  Screws were not tightened or retightened after the paint job   at any of the plants and we don't find evidence of them being tightened after paint on unrestored cars.

Remember that if it was built at Dearborn or NJ all the screws were installed prior to exterior paint at San Jose only two screws were installed prior to paint

This is a fairly important details in the overall look under the car at the rear. With the valance painted off the car often painters will allow overspray and direct application to the rear cross member and onto the lower trunk drops and forward panels. On a car painted with the valance in place the valance works as a mask eliminating 95% of any of the paint from going forward onto the rear cross member and rear underside panels. As shown in other threads if the car has back up lights those holes will allow some paint to pass through onto the rear cross member directly behind the valance and some overspray will enter at the ends of the valance since it hung down (not pulled in at the lower corners) at that point in the build

Hey Jeff, curious about this San Jose mention above that I underlined, so you're saying only two screws were installed when painted on the car, which two and also were the other not painted then and be natural screw colors, and what would be the finish on those if so?

It always amazes me the difference between plants ;)

Thanks,

Jason

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 02:13:29 PM »
It always amazes me the difference between plants ;)

It adds a whole new dimension to restoration as compared to years back when everyone was doing cookie cutter cars.

I believe this site is one of the few that focuses on the plant differences and even changes during production years.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 02:28:09 PM »
So Jeff, just to add, the lower hardware studs attached to the rear valance that pass through the lower quarters were tightened and finished as well?

After the exterior paint process but before the pinch weld black out

One would presume that the edge of the lower rear quarter and trunk drop off, where they were spot welded together, might be left primered as paint wouldn't reach this area??

Since the lower corner would be hanging away from the body and the painter would want to make sure that the surrounding exterior surfaces were well covered it would be a combination of body color over light grey primer typically. The light grey primer was applied before the rear valance was attached

Hey Jeff, curious about this San Jose mention above that I underlined, so you're saying only two screws were installed when painted on the car, which two and also were the other not painted then and be natural screw colors, and what would be the finish on those if so?

The screws used for this purpose and in turn their finish would depend typically on when the car was assembled.  Like most fo the time these threads eventually get around to that detail - don't they  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Morsel

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 02:46:44 PM »
The screws used for this purpose and in turn their finish would depend typically on when the car was assembled.  Like most fo the time these threads eventually get around to that detail - don't they  ::)
[/quote]

Haha, you're correct, San Jose February 10th 66 build date, so the other part of that question was which two were attached when paint, I would assume the middle two, but don't want to assume anything ;)

Also assume it would be the same process for a GT valance, correct? (which is what I have)

Thanks,

Jason

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 03:06:16 PM »
Jason, Jason, Jason,
"The Search feature is your friend". Jeff says that a lot. It's true.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 03:32:52 PM »
Jason, Jason, Jason,
"The Search feature is your friend". Jeff says that a lot. It's true.
Jim

Thank you. This confirms that my San Jose Oct 18, 1965 build GT "K" Fastback has the second from each end screws painted as I have insisted all along. Obviously this applies to this plant, this model year, this time period. I will apply this information to my San Jose Oct 15, 1965 build "A" code Hardtop.
(Don't talk me out of it this time.)
Jim

Haha, I always try searching first, I didn't come up with what I was looking for, I find this one for a Shelby but didn't know if it applied since it was a Shelby. I assume you are referring to this post... so it was the "second from each end" screws that were painted, and the rest look to be black phosphate. Does that seem correct for my 66 Feb 10th San Jose car. (just including all this for future searching :)

Jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 04:31:52 PM »
Haha, you're correct, San Jose February 10th 66 build date, so the other part of that question was which two were attached when paint, I would assume the middle two, but don't want to assume anything ;)

During your timer period and later I typically find that its the second or third screw from the end (the one above the rear bumper guard location) being the one the workers installed prior to body color being applied.  It was normally a flat (like interior roof rail retaining screws) Phillips head. The rest of the screw added later are the typical pan headed phosphate looking Phillips head

Also assume it would be the same process for a GT valance, correct? (which is what I have)

Type of valance doesn't make a difference in this detail
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:46:00 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 04:39:00 PM »
What is known is the rear valence, officially called "Extension Assembly, Lower Back Panel" by Ford, has several variations in its attaching to car. All did use 11 screws. Either the 2nd or 3rd screw from each end was installed on 64-66 San Jose build cars prior to painting to hold the panel to the car. Those "two" screws were painted body color. After painting, the remaining 9 screws were installed (along with the stud plates to the rear quarter ends) and were not painted. Other plants, and other time periods, used different procedures. As 65-66 Shelby GT-350's were San Jose built, they would be the same as regular San Jose production.
The screws used also varied. The 64,65 Mustang Body Assembly Manuals specify 380650-S101, which is a 10-12X3/4 Round/Washer head, Phillips drive screw, tapping. The 66 Mustang Body manual specifies 380934-S36 which is a 10-12X3/4 Pan head, Phillips drive screw, drill tip. Another head type found is the wafer head, mostly used for the "two" end screws. Phosphate and oil finished screws do not appear to be used.
If all 11 screws were installed at Dearborn and/or Metuchen prior to the car being painted, they would be body color.
(Note: service replacement specifies 380934-S36 which is a 8-18X1/2pan drill tip screw. It's a bit small for existing holes on 64 and 65.)
Jim
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:50:16 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 04:48:38 PM »
The screws used also varied. The 64-66 Mustang Body Assembly Manuals all specify 380934-Sxx (-S101 for 64,65, -S36 for 66) which is a 10-12X3/4 Round/Washer head, Phillips drive screw. Other head types found include wafer head and pan head, mostly used for the "two" end screws. Phosphate and oil finished screws do not appear to be used.

Jim are you stating that the books don't show the phosphate pan head was used or that you believe that they were not used during production?

All of the approx second half of the production year at San Jose I've got them in pictures of unrestored cars.
Jeff Speegle