Author Topic: 1967 SJ survivor mustang, comments?  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
1967 SJ survivor mustang, comments?
« on: December 30, 2016, 09:38:27 AM »
 I was searching around on eBay and noticed this. All in all it appears to be quite original, at least well kept for it's age. A few questions.. There appears to be residue from a sticker placed on the drivers side valve cover?? Any idea if SJ placed a decal here and if so what type?? Also, not sure if i understand the reason for the dual belt setup? Is this for a fan clutch perhaps? Although the top radiator hose looks to have been replaced there is a tower clamp used on the engine side. Of course this might not have been original, but I thought by 67' radiator hoses were using the stapled wire style?? Just looking for some in site here. Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Ford-Mustang-COUPE-/381902288348?forcerrptr=true&hash=item58eb2675dc:g:B68AAOSwImRYZDLy&item=381902288348
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Online 67gta289

Re: 1967 SJ survivor mustang, comments?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 10:39:01 AM »
Looks largely original to me.  Although with anything 50 years old, some maintenance has been done. 

The sticker on the valve cover was the engine code sticker applied at either the Windsor or Cleveland engine plant. 

Since this was a California DSO it would have Thermactor, and that accounts for the second pulley.  The ignition coil is on the intake (Thermactor models).  The air pump bracket is still there.  But the air cleaner and oil filler are the wrong style, indicating that these are probably not original to the car.

In addition to the radiator, the battery and cable, water pump, and shocks have been replaced.  I like the extensions on the oil pressure sending unit.

Notice the early hood (no hole for hood turn signal light option).  Notice the bare steel around the oval holes where the hood was hung.  Indication of no repaint under the hood.

In regards to the original paint comment, I see that the door strikers are painted, so I would question that claim.  Although under the hood the bolts are not painted, and neither is the caulk between the fender and inner fender, which appears to suggest that there was no repaint.  Looking at the door jamb closely, it looks like someone did touch up limited to this area.

On the interior, I don't recall seeing the ring in the carpet that goes around the high beam switch on the floor.

In the trunk it looks like splices were added to the wire harness for both tail lamps.  Never seen that before.  Notice the remnants of glue used to hold down the trunk mat.

Not sure if we can repost pictures - I suppose it is public information at this point.  If that is ok, we should probably do that since the eBay link will expire at some point.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 12:08:19 PM »
17, December scheduled build date, how close are the serial numbers and ACTUAL build dates of other examples in this range. I know we have others on the forum with Marti Reports to narrow the window a little. I'll copy & study the pictures some more, looking for fender stampings or other sheet metal dates if they can be made out.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 12:21:49 PM »
Thanks for the input, very cool none the less. I am not into contacting the seller for more pics as he is simply flipping the car for a profit. I think for the price so far it would be a nice addition to a collector since most of the car appears untouched.

In the one pic it looks like the Thermator ports have been closed off  (drivers side engine pic)??

Yeah. not sure what was going on when they added those fittings to make up the oil sending unit extension? ???

With a little work I think this could be brought back nicely. Good to here some findings on this since I am not as well versed with the 67' SJ cars.  ;D
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 01:23:28 AM »
A interesting thing I noticed in the pictures is the windshield wiper blades . They are the 66 squared edge style . 65's were polished stainless and 66 were the same style but satin stainless. I have only seen this style before on 66's. They typically get replaced on 66's with the later style (rounded contour) like is still sold repro. It became common to sell the blade holder and rubber blade as a unit and the reason why many got replaced when serviced. changing just the rubber portion with a refill became uncommon.   That's what makes the pictures so interesting.  I have not seen these on a 67 before but given that they would have been changed with the later style if they had been messed with makes me wonder if this was a early 67 feature before evolving to the typical wiper blade we see in 67/68 . I had always theorized the transition from one style to the other changed at model year . Maybe not. Hopefully Jeff Speegle will be equally intrigued  and look through some of his pictures to see if he finds any of the square edge style blades on early 67's
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rodster

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 02:12:08 AM »
Slightly off topic but I noticed the sellers ID is "jesus_loves_you_702" but apparently not all his buyers love him.  Top rated seller but with a 92.5% rating?  ::)   I'll never understand ebay.   Also, I'm sure selling cars on ebay isn't for the faint of heart so many his rating isn't warranted....or maybe it is. We will never know for sure.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 12:36:42 PM »
Read his e-bay profile and ratings. You can see what the negatives are. You don't need to log on to e-bay to do this. Offhand, I would see this e-bay seller as the poster child for "let the buyer beware".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 02:16:25 PM »
............. Hopefully Jeff Speegle will be equally intrigued  and look through some of his pictures to see if he finds any of the square edge style blades on early 67's

7R01C154752 isn't really an early car - well into the production year. Sometime in December likely

Need to go through the pictures
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 02:39:50 PM »
I was searching around on eBay and noticed this. All in all it appears to be quite original, at least well kept for it's age. A few questions.. There appears to be residue from a sticker placed on the drivers side valve cover??
Any idea if SJ placed a decal here and if so what type??

Think your referring to the engine id sticker and that would ahve been applied at the engine plant no San jose

Also, not sure if i understand the reason for the dual belt setup? Is this for a fan clutch perhaps?

Agree with the thermactor is missing and the reason for the empty pulley. Distributor even has the marking identifying it as the one for the thermactor application

Although the top radiator hose looks to have been replaced there is a tower clamp used on the engine side.

Of course this might not have been original, but I thought by 67' radiator hoses were using the stapled wire style??

Have you happened to look at the San Jose plant pictures from 68 with the engine drop of the small block. Tower clamps in that picture. Not sure when San Jose changed back and forth between the two

Got to  love the changes the owner has made over the years. Number of parts (to keep the car going) changed but that's typical

And you've got to love that visible VIN :)

Looks like its had one or more fender benders, Few things in the interior have been changed, looks like its had a trailer hitch on the car at some point - reason for the connections added to the taillight loom.

Looks like the car was purchased by a flipper and at least some of the pictures taken in front of the Henderson Fire station. Sorry can't recall the address ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline sammy73

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 10:34:05 PM »
Interesting car. I noticed some things... No engine tag on the intake. Has some puddles on the timing cover and intake manifold so either they cleaned the motor or it has some leaks. Is that a '66 service decal on the shock tower? What era is the large text FL-1A filter?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 10:49:57 PM »
Interesting car. I noticed some things... No engine tag on the intake. Has some puddles on the timing cover and intake manifold so either they cleaned the motor or it has some leaks. Is that a '66 service decal on the shock tower? What era is the large text FL-1A filter?

Decal likely just a repo someone added the "help" or detail the car a little. Found it interesting that the story would be somehow that decal survived but the tire pressure one didn't

Never followed the replacement/later MC oil filters
Jeff Speegle