Author Topic: Can I salvage my '66 GT exhaust?  (Read 4292 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Can I salvage my '66 GT exhaust?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 01:07:06 PM »
I've found that "generic" exhaust systems, "H" pipe, muffler and pipes, over the axle pipes, have had fit problems, all of which were fixable. The resonators from the kits were made wrong, not "squeezed" at the sides.
The biggest problem was with the hangers:
- the mounting plates from inside the car (ref 64-65 Chassis Manual, Ford 5B236), used the wrong size stud, and were without the lead point.
- the insulator hanger at the rear (Ford 5266), wrong bends, not stamped properly.
- the insulator at the rear (Ford 5A261), too thin.
- the two mount to the frame rail (Ford 5A571 LH, 5A235 RH), formed wrong, metal too thin.
- the four carriage bolts, 23530-S2, are supplied as a full length thread, they should be threaded about an inch.
Ironically the two insulators from the body at the seats to the rear of the mufflers (Ford 5A242) was very accurate.
Most of those "problems" have been corrected. But some of the above a friend got earlier this year were still incorrect.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 12:40:57 PM »
Hi there,

You will probably benefit from my experiences with a GT exhaust in this thread.  http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6815.15

The net result was all repro H-pipes that I tried fit horribly on my '65.  I used a Scott Fuller H-pipe meant for a '68 GT-350 with a 302.  It is a perfect fit.  The only incorrect aspects are the part number and indexing tabs on connecting end to the intermediate pipes.  The exhaust kit that I used was "decent" it fit properly with little modification (with the exception of the H-pipe), the resonators were dimpled on the sides and the length to the exhaust tips was decent. 

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline sed6

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 03:02:26 PM »
Thanks all!  Are the pipes going over the axles original or even the correct look?  Specifically the crinkles in the bends, did they look like that at the factory? I'm a little surprised that all of the exhaust advertised as concours correct look to be mandrel bend and smooth. What's correct?

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 03:09:57 PM »
smooth bends from the factory. what you have is aftermarket or muffler shop replacement pipes.
5F09C331248

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 03:26:58 PM »
smooth bends from the factory. what you have is aftermarket or muffler shop replacement pipes.

Thanks all!  Are the pipes going over the axles original or even the correct look?  Specifically the crinkles in the bends, did they look like that at the factory? I'm a little surprised that all of the exhaust advertised as concours correct look to be mandrel bend and smooth. What's correct?

For what it is worth, factory pipes are SMOOTH bends, YES...but not MANDREL bent. A Mandrel bend remains constant in diameter while most muffler shop bends and what was originally found on our Classic Mustangs were a standard, smooth bend. These bends actually "shrink" the pipe size some as the bend forms, more noticeable on bends over 45 degrees and VERY noticeable should the pipe be 2-1/4" or larger originally.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Scott302

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2016, 04:00:52 PM »
The original process being referred to is called "pressure bending".
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline sed6

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 06:06:48 PM »
Great info all. Thx!  So is this repo exhaust about the best I can get?  The price hurts.

http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/catalog/item/4595229/8979348.htm

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 06:09:06 PM »
unless you are showing in thorobred class you do not need that particular system. NPD sells a perfectly acceptable on for much less $$.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 06:58:08 PM »
Great info all. Thx!  So is this repo exhaust about the best I can get?  The price hurts.

http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/catalog/item/4595229/8979348.htm
Yes that is the best you can get reproduction. There are later Ford service exhaust systems that occasionally come up for sale and because their details are slightly different then assembly line sell for somewhat less then Scott's authentic looking reproductions. They other aftermarket systems vary in authenticity ,fit and of course price. A lot of options to help you to decide which is best for your situation. Pick your fights so to speak. If you sweated every single detail you could go crazy.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 11:36:18 PM »
unless you are showing in thorobred class you do not need that particular system. NPD sells a perfectly acceptable on for much less $$.

I believe there is a deduction, albeit small, for Fuller exhaust in t-bred class. 

Personally, I'd like to see it on concours cars where applicable.  It may be a bit pricey for a driver though.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin