Author Topic: Can I salvage my '66 GT exhaust?  (Read 4295 times)

Offline sed6

Can I salvage my '66 GT exhaust?
« on: December 08, 2016, 01:14:11 AM »
I've attached some pics of my exhaust. Can I work with what's original (h-pipe? and bends over axle?) and get it back to original? I know I can throw $3k at it and buy a repo, but those vintage bends over the axle got me thinking about keeping what I can, especially if it's more cost effective. What would you do or suggest?
Thanks!
-Scott
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:18:21 AM by sed6 »

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
Re: Can I salvage my '66 GT exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 01:21:06 AM »
SCOTT

From pictures provided in your post.

the H pipe may be original but the itermediate pipe back including the mufflers are definitely not original to a factory GT exhaust system.....

sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 09:18:32 AM »
+1 on the back half and I'll go 1-step more....Throw it all out if you are going Concours. The H-pipe has been welded onto, so even IF it is original (and I doubt it is), the correct system will no longer connect to it.

As an Owner of a muffler shop who is capable of building my own systems, although those Flowmaster Mufflers sure sound nice (sounds even better with larger pipes, like 2-1/4' or larger ;) ), NONE of the back is correct, possibly even the trumpets are wrong unless perhaps the muffler shop welded only the tips back on. The originals would have different hangers and much more than that looks incorrect with the limited photos you shared. I'm looking for signs that this is even an original GT chassis.

Perhaps, seeing the hanger system behind the mufflers would help some.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline sed6

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 09:32:54 AM »
Thanks gents. The muffler hangers are a mess. Looks like they took universal ones and just welded them on the pipes wherever worked.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:48:39 AM by sed6 »

Offline sed6

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 09:51:39 AM »
I'm pretty positive it is a factory GT. The exhaust hangers, brake hanger and internal rear frame rail support are all there.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:53:44 AM by sed6 »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 11:35:13 AM »
As mentioned, nothing on the exhaust is right.  Depending on your plans for the car, there is a lot of work needing to be done to get it up to concours level.  You may want to hold off on the exhaust until everything else is right.

The dual exhaust chassis details appear legit.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 12:03:35 PM »

Yep, I see enough to agree ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline sed6

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 03:22:10 PM »
As mentioned, nothing on the exhaust is right.  Depending on your plans for the car, there is a lot of work needing to be done to get it up to concours level.  You may want to hold off on the exhaust until everything else is right.

Thanks Charles. I know I'm going to open up a can of worms here, but what else do you see?  I do want to get it up to concours and am sure I have a ways to go.

I want to, as I'm sure many do, get the best bang for my buck.  I'd rather spend $300 on a correct battery and get my 8 points back as opposed to $3k for exhaust and get (how many points, my judging sheets at home).  For the cost of the exhaust I can get a correct radiator, carb, alternator and make a whole host of other corrections. But we all have to start somewhere :)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 08:55:47 PM »
This is documented in the 64-65 Mustang Chassis Assembly manual. The hardware part numbers, location of the brackets and some assembly instructions. From this you can match up to what's available from various parts suppliers.
I recommend you get a set for your car's year, plus the 64-65 Chassis Manual.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline sed6

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 12:45:52 AM »
Thanks Jim. I have the Body and Electrical assembly manuals. Is that another of the long red ones?  I also have the 1966 Comet, Falcon, Fairlane & Mustang shop manual. Here's a good pic from it. The diagram says Hipo exhaust but the GT should be identical, no?
Thx!
-Scott

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 12:48:34 AM »
Thanks Charles. I know I'm going to open up a can of worms here, but what else do you see?  I do want to get it up to concours and am sure I have a ways to go.

You're probably looking at a complete re-do of the entire undercarriage.  I'm not seeing much of anything that would pass in current condition.  Trans looks nice, lower pan should be natural.  Trans inspection plate should be semi-gloss black.

Although, if you plan to drive the car, then that changes things quite a bit and you have to decide what's more important.  It's a personal decision.  I'm not sure that it would be worth investing $3k in a Fuller exhaust on a driver.

Offline sed6

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 10:12:27 AM »
She is a driver. She's been nicely restored, but not to concours. Here's a pic.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:15:40 AM by sed6 »

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 11:01:11 AM »
Nice looking Fastback!  Bet you get lots of looks.
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 11:25:56 AM »
Great looking car!

If it was me, I would install a good repro exhaust that fits and appears more closely to original.  NPD or Va Mustang would be good sources for that.  On the hangers, you may want to get the Fuller ones.  His are an exact copy of originals.

The other details underneath can be done a little at a time.  At some point if you want the undercarriage to be more correct, you'll have to completely strip off all the parts/drive-train and re-paint the red-oxide with proper over-spray.  All the parts taken off would then be restored correctly before reinstalling.  Could be a nice winter job if you have space/tools to do it.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 11:28:35 AM »
BTW, I do see one item that could possibly be safety related... the large thick washer for your leaf spring front eyebolt is missing on the LH side, probably on RH side too.  I seriously doubt it could pull through, but would be best to put the right washer on there to keep from any damage to the frame rail.