Author Topic: 68 front bucket seat latches  (Read 1276 times)

Offline 68NordicCat

68 front bucket seat latches
« on: December 01, 2016, 04:42:23 AM »
Anyone have a good picture of the upholstery around the seat back catch on the bucket seat bottom (Dec 67 SJ built 68 Cougar - standard interior)? Assembly manual seems to show the vinyl cut around this catch but I've also been told that the catch mounts with it's 2 screws over top of the vinyl. Inclined to follow the assembly manual approach but concerned about just cutting a hole in the vinyl that could stretch and rip over time. Have the upholstery kit from Distinctive Industries. Thanks.
12/67 SJ Built 68 J code 4-spd Cougar

Offline sportyworty

Re: 68 front bucket seat latches
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:46:46 AM »
I have 2 pairs of original standard 1968 Cougar seats here so will snap a pic today and post for you.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 03:00:42 PM »
I have a Dec 67 built GT350 with original seats there is a sewn pocket for the catch. I understand there may have been cars with the latch installed over the vinyl but I deduct for that unless there is original documentation.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 03:49:52 PM »
I have a Dec 67 built GT350 with original seats there is a sewn pocket for the catch. I understand there may have been cars with the latch installed over the vinyl but I deduct for that unless there is original documentation.
+1. I would add that in my case the documentation is limited to the particular car being judged rather than pictures of another car that may have been built at a different plant during a different time period. It also looks more pleasing to the eye with the metal covered by the vinyl rather then mounting it on top with the fashioners screwed through the vinyl  IMO .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 11:49:59 PM »
I have brought this thread back up because I have a original set of 68 seats that have latch on the outside of the upholstery. When I removed it I found there was no factory sewn pocket. I do not know the assembly plant or date because I purchased these seats on Craig's list.
 In the past I have found the latch on top of the upholstery but there was a pocket under it. I found that to be a factory error. I may have to rethink the judging of this point.