Author Topic: 66 SJ Running Change Survey Thread - Tire Pressure Decal Location  (Read 5943 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
First of what should be many surveys. This thread is posted to collect data related to the position of the tire pressure decal applied to original 66 Mustangs build at San Jose. To participate please read the following. Understand that this is not an often seen detail but in the same way its possible that since the location was less exposed we might find a higher percentage of originals verses reproductions.

- This is ONLY for 1966 San Jose Mustangs

- Participants need to  provide the cars VIN and the projected build date from the original door/warranty tag. If you happen to have the original date of sale that might help also

- If the glove box liner has been replaced don't post unless you have an original decal attached to the glove box door.

- If yours has one applied to the glove box door. Where is it attached

- Picture would really help confirm things.

Thanks - being the first this is sort of a test of the process of collecting samples and information

6R1317xx - Highest sequential VIN with decal attached to glove box door drivers side
6R1377xx - Lowest sequential VIN with decal attached to the glove box liner passenger side

So since cars were not in sequential order and cars completed (documented) on the same day could have a range of sequential numbers by as much as 4,000 units I would say that this is as close as we can get given today's available information and limitations.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
(Removed all the examples posted earlier since it does not add to the conclusion just supports it. So limiting the visual clutter in the thread by my earlier post)

« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 05:21:38 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Building 3

Re: 66 Running Change Survey Thread - Tire Pressure Decal Location
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 03:21:54 PM »
For Metuchen 6T08C129XXX the location is the left side of the glove box door as with the photos above of 117, 112, 127, 12X.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline sgl66

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 07:10:39 PM »
So here is what we have so far for 1966 NJ Mustangs

6T129xxx - Highest sequential VIN with decal attached to glove box door drivers side
6T24357x - Lowest sequential VIN with decal attached to the glove box

So apparently the change was for all 66 Mustangs at multiple plants for some unknown reason. Can't think of a reason for the change or why it was important enough to make a change

I'll take a stab at why...the sticker didn't completely fit on the door.

Mine has the top "Mustang" portion missing and others I see have the top or bottom wrapped onto a vertical surface of the door

66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 07:37:22 PM »

Great Thread..   I'd like to see some people post some more Dearborn examples..  It looks as if San Jose and Metuchen were very similar in their practice concerning this Decal placement.

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 12:20:10 AM »
San Jose 6R09K121xxx scheduled 18 Oct 65, the original still on the Deluxe interior glove box door.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 07:11:04 PM »
An additional find I'd like to share.

It appears that these decals were each torn off the roll rather than originally being printed as individual decals/stickers

Notice the example below. The arrow highlights what appears to be to be the bottom edge (quarter inch or so) of the previous tire pressure decal. Worker just got sloppy on this one  ::)

Never notices a serrated or jagged edge to the cut like we do on engine ID stickers. Just found it interesting as a possible new detail

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 08:45:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 12:37:47 AM »
It appears that these decals were each torn off the roll rather than originally being printed as individual decals/stickers

Or maybe it was the end of a roll and didn't get cut correctly?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin