Author Topic: Clutch return spring color  (Read 3309 times)

1967 eight barrel

Re: Clutch return spring color
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 08:25:44 AM »
Just to confirm: The clutch over-center spring was white in my big block Shelby.

-Keith

Offline CT428CJ

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 11:14:32 PM »
Just to confirm: The clutch over-center spring was white in my big block Shelby.

Right.

1968 1/2 428 CJ Mustang white pedal assist spring shown below next to a black small block spring.

I have light blue ones which were factory on 67-70 bigblock Mustang.
I have a blue spring as well but can't find the photo at the moment.

The blue spring is appears to be made from a wire thickness that is about halfway between the black & white springs.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:27:08 PM by CT428CJ »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 12:00:28 AM »
Right.

1968 1/2 428 CJ Mustang white pedal assist spring shown below next to a black small block spring.
 I have a blue spring as well but can't find the photo at the moment.

The blue spring is appears to be made from a wire thickness that is about halfway between the black & white springs.
The light blue springs are for the upper and lower Z bar seen from the engine compartment side.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CT428CJ

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 12:02:34 AM »
There is also a blue, under dash assist spring.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 12:47:08 AM »
There is also a blue, under dash assist spring.
If you are implying that there are two springs used under dash 67/68 at the same time then I am very skeptical at the least. I have not seen two used under dash nor does the assemblyline manual indicate such . White is for BB , black is for 289HP ,289 and 6cyl.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CT428CJ

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 08:43:26 PM »
What I am saying is that the under dash assist spring could be black (289/302), blue (390?), or white (428), likely depending on the pressure plate that was installed in the car.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2018, 01:03:27 AM »
What I am saying is that the under dash assist spring could be black (289/302), blue (390?), or white (428), likely depending on the pressure plate that was installed in the car.
Like I indicated in the previous post - "White is for BB , black is for 289HP ,289 and 6cyl." BB means ether 390 or 428. There is not any evidence to support a blue spring with a wire size halfway between the black and the white from the factory observation. Personal observations of many corroborate the ether black or white.  You may want to review the Ford MPC and or the assemblyline manuals for 67 and 68. Those two information sources indicate black and white springs typically used.

Offline CT428CJ

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2018, 09:58:43 PM »
I am sure that you are right.

I have scanned a copy of a picture that I have of all three springs. Can you help identify the blue spring?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 12:27:53 AM »
I am sure that you are right.

I have scanned a copy of a picture that I have of all three springs. Can you help identify the blue spring?
Sorry that I can not be of any help.  I have never seen the blue variety nor does it turn up in any of the manuals that I use to supplement the gaps in my own personal observations. Hopefully someone else has come across it and can shed some light on the application.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 06:00:40 PM »
.............Can you help identify the blue spring?

Let me give it a tray

Have this picture of such a spring (blue spring) in a package marked C9ZZ-7523-B

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 06:25:42 PM »
Jeff's part number is for a 390, 428, 429 8 cylinder engines for Mustangs, 1969/70 according to the 65-72 MPC (Section 75, page 8.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 10:55:52 PM by midlife »
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 06:54:32 PM »
Let me give it a tray

Have this picture of such a spring (blue spring) in a package marked C9ZZ-7523-B

Hope this helps

Jeff, that can't be the same spring because the thicker pedal type return spring being discussed in the picture from reply 22 has only 13 coils . The coils on the one in your picture number 26 .Although there is little frame of reference the coils look much skinnier and it is a most likely smaller diameter spring from the looks of it in comparison with the bag and the size of the printing on the package.  I believe your picture is for the spring that goes on the upper z bar or lower z bar to the clutch fork.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 06:59:04 PM »
................ I believe your picture is for the spring that goes on the upper z bar or lower z bar to the clutch fork.

Checking the part number would tell you ;)  Just posted it as a blue clutch to an effort to help out as I'm catching you after a long weekend trip
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CT428CJ

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 09:56:09 PM »
Thanks but the springs that I posted pictures of are the pedal assist springs from under the dash.

The person that I bought the blue spring from told me that it came out  of a '67 390 Mustang but I don't have proof.

It does work quite well in my 68 1/2.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 10:52:25 PM »
Thanks but the springs that I posted pictures of are the pedal assist springs from under the dash.

The person that I bought the blue spring from told me that it came out  of a '67 390 Mustang but I don't have proof.

It does work quite well in my 68 1/2.
I have only seen white springs in 67/68 390 equipped Mustangs. The assemblyline and other factory Ford manuals back my observation up.