Author Topic: Short vs. Long Style Hood Latch for '67  (Read 1534 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Short vs. Long Style Hood Latch for '67
« on: October 29, 2016, 05:01:05 PM »
On my '67 coupe, I've always had trouble being sure the hood is firmly latched.  I literally have to slam it and then pull up on the hood to be sure it's latched.  I looked into adjusting the hood and the catch, but I don't see what I can do that would help.  This is the original hood, original core support, original hood catch.

I looked at reproduction hood latch assemblies, and I noticed that two styles are listed for a '67: a short style for earlier builds, and a long style for later builds.  My car clearly has the short style.  Did Ford change to the longer style because of problems with the hoods latching securely?  I've always hated this issue about my car, and I'd like to fix it permanently.

Thanks--any advice is appreciated.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Short vs. Long Style Hood Latch for '67
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 07:14:33 PM »
On my '67 coupe, I've always had trouble being sure the hood is firmly latched.  I literally have to slam it and then pull up on the hood to be sure it's latched.  I looked into adjusting the hood and the catch, but I don't see what I can do that would help.  This is the original hood, original core support, original hood catch.

I looked at reproduction hood latch assemblies, and I noticed that two styles are listed for a '67: a short style for earlier builds, and a long style for later builds.  My car clearly has the short style.  Did Ford change to the longer style because of problems with the hoods latching securely?  I've always hated this issue about my car, and I'd like to fix it permanently.

Thanks--any advice is appreciated.
I have only seen the long style originally on 68's . With that said the transition may have happened in very late 67 production . Like many parts that changed it was typically to make them a better more evolved design. To lesser extent some changes were made so as to fit more applications, so less inventory has to be kept. The hood latch change evolved to a better design.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 09:11:31 PM »
If you must slam the hood to latch it, you may need to lower your adjustable hood bumpers.   The latch itself is also adjustable up and down as well as side to side after loosening the 2 bolts holding it to the hood.   My Nov 66 coupe has the short version as well as my Feb 67 Shelby.  Both hoods work flawlessly after fine tuning the bumpers and latch.  You want them making contact when latched, with just a little tension, not so much as to make you slam to latch.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 09:21:47 PM by 67350#1242 »
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 05:36:24 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  I'll see if I can't make what I have work.
Too much junk, too little time.