Author Topic: 67 Deluxe Door Panel Attachment Screw  (Read 3318 times)

Offline 67gta289

67 Deluxe Door Panel Attachment Screw
« on: October 14, 2016, 11:01:33 PM »
I've seen them with and without the screw and always wondered about correctness.  Thanks for bringing it up Bob

ADMIN NOTE: Split from another topic focusing on hand pocket fit,  so that the title reflects the discussion.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 11:36:51 PM by J_Speegle »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Texas Swede

Re: 67 Deluxe Door Panel Attachment Screw
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 01:10:20 PM »
The original panels in my car #1317 had a screw which I transferred over to the repo
panels.
Texas Swede

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 02:14:17 PM »
You should keep in mind that Ford started putting a screw on the door opening end (near the point) of the deluxe door panels to help hold the panels in. I think this started in Nov 66 . That screw goes a long ways to holding the panel tight to the door shell.

I've seen them with and without the screw and always wondered about correctness.  Thanks for bringing it up Bob

My 11/2/66 built San Jose example looks to have always had the holes in the original panels (I just looked at them). I believe the screws were in them BEFORE I ever worked inside of the doors however I remember having much difficuly re-attaching the original panels when the car was only 10 years old so nothing is impossible to have considered ADDING these screws at the time. The panels were already (at 10 years old) in bad condition so ANYTHING was better than having them loose. I say this to call into this discussion that previous owners or previous repair work could have added the screws, even if the car was built ahead of the estimated date of FORD adding the screws (November '66 as Bob mentioned above).

Interior assembly manual has the screw in the point area in the illustration dated 10-11-66 (supersedes 9-9-66) so it would be reasonable to assume that it went into production the latter part of October '66 to early November '66
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 02:22:02 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 03:34:53 PM »
That's a good point about the screw...I always thought it was only necessary for incorrectly fitting panels...no I won't feel bad if I have to put one in to keep the panels flush to the door.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 02:04:05 PM »
My 11/2/66 built San Jose example looks to have always had the holes in the original panels (I just looked at them). I believe the screws were in them BEFORE I ever worked inside of the doors however I remember having much difficuly re-attaching the original panels when the car was only 10 years old so nothing is impossible to have considered ADDING these screws at the time. The panels were already (at 10 years old) in bad condition so ANYTHING was better than having them loose. I say this to call into this discussion that previous owners or previous repair work could have added the screws, even if the car was built ahead of the estimated date of FORD adding the screws (November '66 as Bob mentioned above).

Interior assembly manual has the screw in the point area in the illustration dated 10-11-66 (supersedes 9-9-66) so it would be reasonable to assume that it went into production the latter part of October '66 to early November '66
    Was the screw through the panel or the stainless trim?

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 02:40:59 PM »
    Was the screw through the panel or the stainless trim?

NOT the stainless, in the door panel. No photo handy at this time
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 11:41:10 PM »
Some pictures of the location of the screw when installed/used and a close up of the screw and washer arrangement

One without - 7F1291xxx

Group with - since that is the focus of this thread - Different door panel colors for contrast and variety :)

7R01C1598xx

7R01S1974xx

7R01C2230xx

Close up

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 09:03:34 AM »
Jeff, was this only a Dearborn/San Jose thing?  Have you ever seen the screw on a Metuchen-built '67?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 12:14:57 PM »
Jeff, was this only a Dearborn/San Jose thing?  Have you ever seen the screw on a Metuchen-built '67?

Good question. According to the Osborn Assembly Manual, as mentioned earlier, it was handed down to begin to use the screw in the middle of October 66. As to when the individual workers at the different plants GOT the memo or ADHERED to the instructions, it may be hard to determine. 

If not sure your example had the screw or not, FIRST, by default, I wouldn't simply ADD one. It might be best to consider using the actual build date for an idea if it could have been used. If built AFTER November 1, 1966...the screw was most likely installed. If built before the 2nd week of October, most likely was NOT installed. If in the 2-3 weeks of "not sure", I would look for other examples closest to your actual build date for guidance. If you have the original doors you could look for a hole drilled in that location too.

One other thought...Just because there was a screw there OR there was a hole there alone isn't probably the best way to decide. I am sure if I have December built example with a DATE CORRECT DOOR and NO HOLE...and there is no sign of ever having the screw, I certainly wouldn't just add one either!
Richard Urch

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 02:28:48 PM »
My car is a December '66 build.  Both doors are the originals.  Now I'm curious....if the panels weren't so aggravating to get off and back on, I'd pull one to see if there are screw holes.  I'm at the point where my door panels fit so badly I never take them off unless it's absolutely necessary.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 06:29:09 PM »

Believe all plants had problems with these items so believe all plants practiced this at some point.

Don't recall ever focusing on the screw on a 67 NJ car nor do any of my pictures capture that area so that I could offer an example
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 07:10:39 PM »
....if the panels weren't so aggravating to get off and back on, I'd pull one to see if there are screw holes.  I'm at the point where my door panels fit so badly I never take them off unless it's absolutely necessary.
Let your curiosity get the better of you and find out.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 02:51:45 PM »
Let your curiosity get the better of you and find out.
Jim

Looks like my car did have screws originally.  I forgot that I had an old picture of the door without the panel installed.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:55:32 PM by drummingrocks »

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 04:09:22 PM »
Looks like my car did have screws originally.  I forgot that I had an old picture of the door without the panel installed.

No surprise. Happy the curiosity got the best of you.  ;) Another statistic that matches the manuals :)

Now, the trick will be getting the hole in the panel where it belongs without missing the hole. :o
Richard Urch

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 04:55:52 PM »
No surprise. Happy the curiosity got the best of you.  ;) Another statistic that matches the manuals :)

Now, the trick will be getting the hole in the panel where it belongs without missing the hole. :o
Real close to an edge.
This is similar to the deluxe panels on 65-66 cars, a screw was not used on 65, used on 66 to correct a problem.
Thread a short sheet metal screw with a "sharp" tip from the inside, do a dry fit with the panel and tap that area on the outside of the panel for a sanity check of hole location.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.