Author Topic: 1966 fastback trunk lid fit & weatherstrip  (Read 5277 times)

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: 1966 fastback trunk lid fit
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 09:33:03 AM »
There may be other reproductions with the correct u-shaped design, but the Daniel Carpenter brand is very accurate and works perfectly. As others mentioned, for years the Ford "replacement" weatherstripping was a different design than the original assembly line part. I think this has led to confusion over the years, as I have seen quite a few nice cars at shows with the incorrect NOS weatherstripping.

Here is the correct version. We just installed one with perfect results.

Offline DKutz

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 03:35:46 PM »
opening in the "U" goes facing inside right?

If I use this will my fastback turn into a shelby?
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 04:00:11 PM »
opening in the "U" goes facing inside right?

Yes, U goes to inside and the shorter lip is glued to the deck lid.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline DKutz

Re: 1966 fastback trunk lid fit & weatherstrip
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 05:41:06 PM »
OK so I found my order for the trunk weatherstrip.  I ordered from CJ it is a Scott Drake Part.  Is this a huge difference from NPD and DC part?  I did at least get the right profile.

D
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 06:05:07 PM »
It is so frustrating to read about the many occurrences of inferior quality parts that are purchased through CJ because I read this time and time again on this forum. I will only buy from ether Virginia Mustang or NPD . Even though they are not infallible the chances of getting a quality part are much higher . I can only assume that the main motivation to buy from CJ is price because nothing else seems to be obvious. I don't even see the price being pennies difference overall. I can't imagine that there is that much difference to justify the risk . I believe CJ is a reputable retailer but their choices of inventory is not always in keeping with the spirit of this forum . You only have to get one unusable part to nullify the savings on the potential numerous purchases before you are back even. If you get a less then acceptable part you only have yourself to blame for your wasted time and money. Others may have a different opinion. I am getting down off of my soap box now. :)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 06:09:56 PM »
OK so I found my order for the trunk weatherstrip.  I ordered from CJ it is a Scott Drake Part.  Is this a huge difference from NPD and DC part?  I did at least get the right profile.

D
DC weatherstrip although not as good as original Ford typically fits better because it is closer to being as spongy as Ford weatherstrip . Hard or harder weatherstrip makes fitting a bad experience IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline DKutz

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 06:23:04 PM »
DC weatherstrip although not as good as original Ford typically fits better because it is closer to being as spongy as Ford weatherstrip . Hard or harder weatherstrip makes fitting a bad experience IMO.

so how does SD compare to DC??

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 07:48:58 PM »
so how does SD compare to DC??
SD typically is denser/harder  foam.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 08:19:24 PM »
I will only buy from ether Virginia Mustang or NPD.
 I am getting down off of my soap box now. :)
I agree. Add AMK to the list. All three will work with you and stand behind their products.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 08:48:19 PM »
I agree. Add AMK to the list. All three will work with you and stand behind their products.
Jim

+1, these are my main go-to vendors when needed.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sgl66

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2016, 12:17:05 AM »
Interesting info regarding the difference in weatherstripping...I will definitely take a look at that.  Guess the way to tell would be to remove it and see how the fit is without it.  I would like to think this amount of misalignment would not have been acceptable...even in 1966, on a relatively inexpensive vehicle.
I have the same issue. Interested to hear if removing the weatherstripping solves the problem.

I replaced mine 20+ years ago and at the tallest point it is a little over 1/2 inch. I have a spare trunk lid with the original weatherstripping I need to dig out and see how that compares. I also noticed on the right side that the weatherstripping is installed maybe too far from the edge causing it to land on the ridge at a higher point on the weatherstripping than it should. The right corner appears to barely touch and the center of the right side seems to be where most of the contact is. The other thing I noticed is the factory seemed to grind the ridge down toward the corner where the sheetmetal overlaps but only on the right side. I don't know if there would be enough metal to cause misalignment but who knows? I also found 1 picture from 1980 before any body work was done and the corner was off then also

+2 on VA Mustang

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:34:47 PM by sglbbs »
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline sgl66

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 01:36:50 PM »
I measured an original today on an extra lid and it's .4 inches at the highest point. The repo I have is .57 at the same point.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65