Author Topic: 1966 fastback trunk lid fit & weatherstrip  (Read 5288 times)

Offline socalgt

1966 fastback trunk lid fit & weatherstrip
« on: October 16, 2016, 11:42:54 AM »
I noticed on many fastbacks the right rear of the trunk lid often times does not fit to the curve of the quarter panel and extension, but is raised on the last 6 inches or so.  Is this one of those areas ( similar to the front left of the hood), is typically a bit out of alignment or does it usually indicate previous damage.  I understand the trunk latch can sometimes help this misalignment, but I'm not sure it can when just one side needs to come down more.  (The attached photo is taken from the angle that makes it look the worst)

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:11:37 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1966 fastback trunk lid fit
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 11:53:22 AM »
What gasket did you use?  There's a thin one for fastbacks.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 03:04:35 PM »
I noticed on many fastbacks the right rear of the trunk lid often times does not fit to the curve of the quarter panel and extension, but is raised on the last 6 inches or so.  Is this one of those areas ( similar to the front left of the hood), is typically a bit out of alignment or does it usually indicate previous damage...........

Seen many original cars that were aligned perfectly. IMHO most likely something has taken place in the past that should be corrected if your restoring the car. It will grab an eye quickly at that location to even the most casual observer
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rrenz

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 11:45:10 PM »
Currently having the same issue on my coupe. Might be the trunk seal was replaced. Some are too dense not allowing the gasket to compress enough when closing the trunk. It is adjustable through the latch but only as far as that seal will it allow it to go..
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 12:50:50 AM »
One quick way to check for damage is to create a cardboard template of the arc on each side of the trunk lid.  The arc should match perfectly of on the left and right side of the trunk lid.  Even a minor fender bender at some point can really mess up a trunk lid up since the metal is already curved to fit the contours of the rest of the body panels.  In most but not all cases the metal will buckle.  However, with only light contact, as a result of the metal being under tension, it can essentially "warp" yet look more of less ok to the naked eye until you try to align the trunk lid. 

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline DKutz

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 01:20:55 AM »
What gasket did you use?  There's a thin one for fastbacks.

There is?
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 11:10:19 AM »
There is?

Absolutely, you don't use the same thickness gasket like is used on a coupe/convertible.

There's a nice Carpenter reproduction of this piece.

Offline DKutz

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 01:18:51 PM »
Absolutely, you don't use the same thickness gasket like is used on a coupe/convertible.

There's a nice Carpenter reproduction of this piece.

maybe this is why mine does not line up.  But I ordered for a fastback, so I ASSUME its the same.  How can you tell?

1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 03:37:07 PM »
maybe this is why mine does not line up.  But I ordered for a fastback, so I ASSUME its the same.  How can you tell?

The fastback ones are about half the thickness of coupe/convertible seals.

Offline DKutz

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 05:13:52 PM »
I noticed on many fastbacks the right rear of the trunk lid often times does not fit to the curve of the quarter panel and extension, but is raised on the last 6 inches or so.  Is this one of those areas ( similar to the front left of the hood), is typically a bit out of alignment or does it usually indicate previous damage.  I understand the trunk latch can sometimes help this misalignment, but I'm not sure it can when just one side needs to come down more.  (The attached photo is taken from the angle that makes it look the worst)

Thanks

BTW this is about what mine looks like.  I was always under the impression that the fit was different from factory to factory.  I have seen many look like mine...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 06:42:52 PM »
Couple of shots of an original trunk seal  Sort of a narrow U shape open along the inner edge

BTW this is about what mine looks like.  I was always under the impression that the fit was different from factory to factory.  I have seen many look like mine...

Cars are more likely (body panels) to fall out of alignment after 50 years. Too many original examples of 66 San Jose cars that still fit perfectly IMHO to believe inspectors would have on a regular basis let that fit slide.
Jeff Speegle

Offline socalgt

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 07:07:16 PM »
Interesting info regarding the difference in weatherstripping...I will definitely take a look at that.  Guess the way to tell would be to remove it and see how the fit is without it.  I would like to think this amount of misalignment would not have been acceptable...even in 1966, on a relatively inexpensive vehicle.

Offline DKutz

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 08:00:05 PM »
So who makes a accurate repo?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 08:34:13 PM »
So who makes a accurate repo?
Even more important, why does NPD list two different profile weather strips, "U" shaped and trapezoidal, both reproductions with "Concours Approved" labels?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 12:25:28 AM »
Even more important, why does NPD list two different profile weather strips, "U" shaped and trapezoidal, both reproductions with "Concours Approved" labels?
Jim

Likely each supplier makes a reproduction based on a NOS/service design. That is what most used did back when all NOS parts were thought to be the end all in quality and detail parts for a restoration.  Package has the part number, MPC shows that number for the application - so its has to be the right part sort of thinking of the time period. Oh and add. people bought them.   

Just reporting  ::)
Jeff Speegle