Author Topic: 67 power steering hose clamp  (Read 2194 times)

Offline preaction

67 power steering hose clamp
« on: October 16, 2016, 01:34:16 AM »
Does this clamp hold the hard lines to the p/s control valve or is it used before the valve?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 power steering hose clamp
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 02:07:42 AM »
Does this clamp hold the hard lines to the p/s control valve or is it used before the valve?
That clamp is what holds the pressure and return line to the control valve. It is only for a early production in 67 . Later 67-70 used a worm drive clamp.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 09:44:34 AM »
+1

I've seen this pinch style hose clamp on original power steering lines & the control valve on an example with a March 22 *edited) dated PS cylinder cylinder. The donor vehicle the whole tie rod and steering linkages were removed from was said to be an April 67 built San Jose car. (build date most likely not confirmed with a Marti report). The date on the cylinder was clearly marked and all hoses and assembly looked to never to have been touched since factory.

This statement IMHO, suggests that Bob's term of "early production" could be interpreted to include as late as April, 1967. More examples of unmolested systems at or around this late March 67 date could help in determining how long it would have been used. I am beginning to wonder if the change over occured when the PS pressure hose fitting size at the control valve was increased to the larger fitting (went from 1/4" flare nut to 5/16" flare nut)

(*edited the date on the cylinder from March 26 to March 22 if it makes any difference)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:31:56 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 11:16:53 PM »
+1

I've seen this pinch style hose clamp on original power steering lines & the control valve on an example with a March 26 dated PS cylinder cylinder. The donor vehicle the whole tie rod and steering linkages were removed from was said to be an April 67 built San Jose car. (build date most likely not confirmed with a Marti report). The date on the cylinder was clearly marked and all hoses and assembly looked to never to have been touched since factory.

This statement IMHO, suggests that Bob's term of "early production" could be interpreted to include as late as April, 1967. More examples of unmolested systems at or around this late March 67 date could help in determining how long it would have been used. I am beginning to wonder if the change over occured when the PS pressure hose fitting size at the control valve was increased to the larger fitting (went from 1/4" flare nut to 5/16" flare nut)
I am confident that the changeover from one style clamp to another happened months before the change to large pressure line which happened at the soonest after June of 67.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 06:42:49 AM »
I am confident that the changeover from one style clamp to another happened months before the change to large pressure line which happened at the soonest after June of 67.

Good to include such known change-over dates (or estimated dates). These details are not always known as "facts" with so many examples having been tampered with over the years and fewer and fewer unrestored or known to be un-repaired examples available to source such transition dates. I imagine the exact dates at specific assembly plants will remain a mystery as it would only make sense that the workers would exhaust inventory on hand first.

I have to once again point to the "mysteries" of the 1967 Mustang as being one of the most difficult years to nail down all of the facets.

*note: I edited the date of my ealier post if it helps in identifying the latest-known date for the early pinch clamp change-over date.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:45:42 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline preaction

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 06:11:28 PM »
Are both clamps installed at the same location on the p/s valve ? And where on the valve is it used ?

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 08:09:14 PM »
Are both clamps installed at the same location on the p/s valve ? And where on the valve is it used ?

The larger diameter band clamp that has a toothed overlap, wraps around the two steel tubing lines (pressure & return lines) near the bolted-on clamp that hold the the control valve sucured to the center link.

I do not have pictures of a Big Block application, but I believe it has been addressed in other threads before.
Richard Urch

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 09:44:07 PM »
The larger diameter band clamp that has a toothed overlap, wraps around the two steel tubing lines (pressure & return lines) near the bolted-on clamp that hold the the control valve sucured to the center link.

I do not have pictures of a Big Block application, but I believe it has been addressed in other threads before.
Both types of clamps are used in the same location. the type of clamp dependent on the time frame used. Regardless of if big block and small block the clamp was used in the same location .
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 09:49:11 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 09:59:27 PM »
Here is the later style clamp with the larger pressure line .  To complicate things the original C7 return line is slightly different in shape compared to the C8 return line. this will change how the lines will lay out on the control valve. 67 is one way and very late 67 and up another.   
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 10:18:25 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline preaction

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 10:37:04 PM »
Thank you Bob. Bob can you explain what the difference is between the NOS hoses you posted above with the yellow part tags and the ones I have seen as NOS that have white newer looking tags on them.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:41:17 PM by preaction »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 12:52:28 AM »
Thank you Bob. Bob can you explain what the difference is between the NOS hoses you posted above with the yellow part tags and the ones I have seen as NOS that have white newer looking tags on them.
Both hoses are very old but still new unused. The tags were probably more white when new but have yellowed with age. They are very old service parts with a single crimp attaching the metal to the rubber. In 1970 I believe DOT made it mandatory for the service and assemblyline to change over to a double crimp style for safety . The typical C8 return hose you will find is double crimped. If you read the tags the upper hose has a C7 prefix( 1967) indicating that was assemblyline for 67 and the lower hose has a C8 prefix indicating that it was 68 assemblyline . The C8 hose replaced the obsoleted C7 hose over the counter if you had to replace it. The C8 single crimp hose is very hard to find NOS but nothing compared to the C7 hose. The C7 hose was only used one year and then obsoleted . The stock was used up and only a few survived being unused. The C8 hose was used from 68 on which meant there were many more of them in circulation. The C7 return hose is extremely rare NOS. I have only had 3 in 30 years of parts scrounging . As you can see when you compare there is a difference in the bends of the metal pipe. Unfortunately Blue Dot decided to repro the 68 style only and list it for both 67/68 applications. I gave them both types as patterns but they didn't think anyone would notice and it was less inventory (probably Fords incentive too). Because of the different bends the metal tubes will sit different when clamped (crimp or worm drive clamp) to the control valve when compared to each other. I would venture to say that the return hose changed style the same time as the larger pressure hose was introduced.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:55:35 AM by Bob Gaines »

Offline preaction

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 11:29:11 PM »
Bob, is there a reproduction made of the worm type clamp ? Was the original a 'Whittic' brand ?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 01:44:47 AM »
Bob, is there a reproduction made of the worm type clamp ? Was the original a 'Whittic' brand ?
No reproduction. Yes it will read Whittek MFG CO USA , it will have a #16 and also say Suretit. I have some extra . 25.00 to your door. PM if interested.