Author Topic: Kelsey Hayes Disc Brakes  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Morsel

Kelsey Hayes Disc Brakes
« on: October 13, 2016, 02:55:35 AM »
I'm in the middle of restoring my 66 Kelsey Hayes Disc Brakes and been looking around at photos on and restored pictures and I can't seem to find anything on the dust shield retaining plates. See attached picture. Basically everything I've seen are just hex bolts holding the dust shields to the arms, but these are these plates with flat bolts that sort of notch in against the ridge of this plate to keep them from turning. Anyone seen these before, I don't seem to find any photos of even unrestored versions of these.

Thanks,

Jason
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 03:22:05 AM by Morsel »
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline ChrisV289

Re: Kelsey Hayes Disc Brakes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 08:28:22 AM »
I just took one of those off my car on the passenger side so far. Holds the backing plate to the spindle. As far as I know they are not reproduced because one of my corners was bent and the head kept spinning. The bolts you can get though. I did not think they were on disc brake cars but I could be wrong
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline sgl66

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 08:31:16 AM »
Never seen that. This is what mine looks like with "Rockford" bolts.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 10:46:33 AM »
I'm in the middle of restoring my 66 Kelsey Hayes Disc Brakes and been looking around at photos on and restored pictures and I can't seem to find anything on the dust shield retaining plates. See attached picture. Basically everything I've seen are just hex bolts holding the dust shields to the arms, but these are these plates with flat bolts that sort of notch in against the ridge of this plate to keep them from turning. Anyone seen these before, I don't seem to find any photos of even unrestored versions of these.

Looks like the drum brake seal retainer.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Morsel

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 02:10:09 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Just didn't want to go through the trouble of blasting and restoring these if they weren't some rare thing. Figured I just do the standard hex bolts to mount the backing plates like what I see normally. But I wanted to check incase someone said "wow, those are a rare setup, keep them" haha...

Thanks again,

jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 02:36:58 PM »
I would keep them as they are not reproduced and one day someone might need one who has drum brakes on the front. 
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Morsel

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 03:55:48 PM »
Oh, definitely will keep them for sure...

Offline Morsel

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 04:41:58 PM »
I got into taking my brakes apart and have to rebuild the calipers based on the dust shield on the pistons are cracked. I saw this post searching for info regarding finish...

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3875.msg21191#msg21191

The question is, Bob Gaines mentions that late 65 and early 66 that they started plating the out side piece on the caliper. I assume that would be my car since I have a build date of February 10th 66. But I literally have never seen this plating before and mine weren't plated. What would they be plated with?

Also, as far as finish, I'm currently blueing other steering parts, would these get blued as well for finish. Or because my original calipers look really good after I cleaned them up, should I just leave them as is and just Boeshield them? The original natural finish is in excellent condition...

Thanks,

Jason

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 08:19:59 PM »
I got into taking my brakes apart and have to rebuild the calipers based on the dust shield on the pistons are cracked. I saw this post searching for info regarding finish...

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3875.msg21191#msg21191

The question is, Bob Gaines mentions that late 65 and early 66 that they started plating the out side piece on the caliper. I assume that would be my car since I have a build date of February 10th 66. But I literally have never seen this plating before and mine weren't plated. What would they be plated with?

Also, as far as finish, I'm currently blueing other steering parts, would these get blued as well for finish. Or because my original calipers look really good after I cleaned them up, should I just leave them as is and just Boeshield them? The original natural finish is in excellent condition...

Thanks,

Jason
I have seen the outside half both plated zinc or maybe cadmium silver and also painted with silver paint (like alumablast) . The painted half's might explain why some owners don't find evidence of plating . The paint doesn't last as long as the plating but serves the same purpose as the plating in use initially by eliminating flash rust appearance when used with deluxe wheels. FYI plated ones and painted ones can look virtually identical when set side by side too.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 08:22:06 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Morsel

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 09:20:54 PM »
Hey Bob, so I looked mine again, and I show no evidence of plating, it actually looks almost identical to the NOS one in Jim's post in the above link from my original post. Could it be that they got replaced at some point with a service part or replaced with NOS ones? And then the question is what should I do for my 66 factory GT K-Code with steel styled wheels? If you were judging what would you want to see?

Offline Morsel

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 09:26:11 PM »
Oh and sorry, I know you say the front facing half, is the back half still natural finish, like the picture in Jim's original post above?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 09:36:30 PM »
Oh and sorry, I know you say the front facing half, is the back half still natural finish, like the picture in Jim's original post above?

Yes the difference is the outer section Difference can be seen in the examples

Some additional pictures  of the "look" that have been posted here before in other threads

67 example

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 09:46:00 PM »
Hey Bob, so I looked mine again, and I show no evidence of plating, it actually looks almost identical to the NOS one in Jim's post in the above link from my original post. Could it be that they got replaced at some point with a service part or replaced with NOS ones? And then the question is what should I do for my 66 factory GT K-Code with steel styled wheels? If you were judging what would you want to see?
It could have been changed or as mentioned the silver paint wore or was burned off. Ford didn't want to have two types and started to make them all one way. The transition was far advanced by the end of 65 production IMO. If it were my car I would plate or paint the outside half since that makes the most sense in my mind since your car came with the style steel wheels. Just what I would do. You do what you think is right for you.  The inside half was left bare cast iron regardless. I would do what ever to preserve the bare metal from rusting.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline sgl66

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 10:13:32 PM »
Here is a set I had redone by Jim Cowles. I thought he told me both halves had some type of plating. The darker half is not bare metal. I forget what he said it was maybe it's a finish he does to prevent flash rust. The front does look like silver paint but it's not.

There are date codes stamped in the larger half. Sorry can't find a good pic but they are on a flat piece that is visible when installed. If the date is a few weeks before your scheduled build date, it's a good chance they are original.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 10:31:07 PM »
Here is a set I had redone by Jim Cowles. I thought he told me both halves had some type of plating. The darker half is not bare metal. I forget what he said it was maybe it's a finish he does to prevent flash rust. The front does look like silver paint but it's not.

There are date codes stamped in the larger half. Sorry can't find a good pic but they are on a flat piece that is visible when installed. If the date is a few weeks before your scheduled build date, it's a good chance they are original.
If Jim did, most likely it is a process that he does to prevent rust. The back half was not plated at Ford.