Author Topic: 67 deluxe door panel door handle cup fit  (Read 5894 times)

Offline socalgt

67 deluxe door panel door handle cup fit
« on: October 12, 2016, 07:58:56 PM »
Here we go again....reproduction door panel, reproduction handle cup...terrible fit....the cup pretty much wants to rip the vinyl went inserting it, and the cup itself gets "squashed" when in position.  I'm assuming the original door panel and cup fit much better...any tips for installing them?

Thanks...

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 67 deluxe door panel door handle cup fit
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 09:13:16 PM »
It sounds like you got the same Dash's Direct (through Scott Drake) that I got. I bought the other reproduction pockets for the 'door pulls' too, what a bust (all of it Drake product)

I ended up building the panels with using all of my old pockets, a huge fight but i got them to work. The colors were way off too so I had to dye everything. I still haven't installed them yet but they look very good with the new Drake inserts and original stainless.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline socalgt

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 09:59:01 PM »
Sounds like this is the usual "reproduction" parts not fitting problem.  Unfortunately. finding original panels in good enough condition to want to use is pretty much out of the question. I'll just try to make it look as good as possible and move on.  I assume the original door panels had the vinyl installed in such a way to allow the cup to slide in without damaging anything or exposing the slits put in the area where the cup needs to go.  These were TMI door panels.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 09:42:07 AM »
I dealt with this as well on my '67.  My experience sounds just like yours: you can force the cup into place and install the door panel, but it's pretty obvious that the fit is off.  Like you said, you almost have to force the panel into place with the cup installed.
Too much junk, too little time.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 11:13:20 PM »
I am just completing the interior in my 1967 Shelby. I purchased my TMI panels just over two years ago. The panels were in the house in the master closet.
I just took them out of the box. Door release handle pockets must be dyed. They are black. The cups are nice, but they are not correct so they must be dyed. The so-called "Parchment" color isn't close, so it must be dyed as well. However, the worst part is the door panels are very warped. They are curved along the length and width to the point that they are not serviceable. I am working with TMI and have been the last two weeks, but they haven't stepped up to the plate and just agreed to send me replacements as of yet. They know they are unmounted and have yet to be assembled, so this should be a moot issue.
A material that is designed to be used in a place that most vehicles see some moisture shouldn't ever warp sitting in a climate controlled closet.
Admittedly I never removed the panels from the box, and they came from the Florida depot. I doubt parchment is a huge seller, so perhaps the issue really started before purchase by them sitting in inventory for an extended time. No matter what, TMI should replace them.
I'll let you know the outcome.       
                                                                                                                      -Keith

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 09:07:38 AM »
Again, same issue I'm dealing with as well.  The door panels I have were on my car when I bought it, and I have yet to find any brand identification anywhere on them.  Mine are warped badly as well, to the point that they are noticeably pulling away from the top of the door shell.  Are your TMI panels hard to the touch?  Mine are hard enough that you could beat somebody over the head with them.

Something else I've experienced is that my panels seem to have shrunk or were made undersized.  There's a noticeable 1/2-inch gap between the impression in the door shell and the edge of my door panel.  You can very clearly see the door panel clip holes in the door shell--it's that bad.  You might want to check your panels there, as well.  Mine are that bad even with the stainless installed.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 10:18:25 AM »
I am just completing the interior in my 1967 Shelby. I purchased my TMI panels just over two years ago. The panels were in the house in the master closet.
I just took them out of the box. Door release handle pockets must be dyed. They are black. The cups are nice, but they are not correct so they must be dyed. The so-called "Parchment" color isn't close, so it must be dyed as well. However, the worst part is the door panels are very warped. They are curved along the length and width to the point that they are not serviceable. I am working with TMI and have been the last two weeks, but they haven't stepped up to the plate and just agreed to send me replacements as of yet. They know they are unmounted and have yet to be assembled, so this should be a moot issue.
A material that is designed to be used in a place that most vehicles see some moisture shouldn't ever warp sitting in a climate controlled closet.
Admittedly I never removed the panels from the box, and they came from the Florida depot. I doubt parchment is a huge seller, so perhaps the issue really started before purchase by them sitting in inventory for an extended time. No matter what, TMI should replace them.
I'll let you know the outcome.       
                                                                                                                      -Keith

It sounds like you got the same Dash's Direct (through Scott Drake) that I got. I bought the other reproduction pockets for the 'door pulls' too, what a bust (all of it Drake product)

I ended up building the panels with using all of my old pockets, a huge fight but i got them to work. The colors were way off too so I had to dye everything. I still haven't installed them yet but they look very good with the new Drake inserts and original stainless.

I've called my Dashes Direct reproduction (Scott Drake) as being shaped more like a banana before. "like a banana" since they ought to be 100% FLAT. One would think if it cannot lay flat on a table there would be NO WAY the retainers would pull them down into place. I am hoping laying them out in the HOT August sunshine, possibly usisng a heat gun and maybe some finessing will get them to lay flat. I've already fought the battle of getting the pockets to all fit AND getting the so-called parchment to match (re-dyed EVERYTHING) and the reproduction pocket pulls made by Drake fit much tighter than OE pockets so I've assembled my pre-dye pockets essentially PRESSED into or form-fitted into the holes of the un-dyed panels then I shot the whole assembled panels again with the dye. Now the trick will be getting them to lay flat...I decided to tackle that part another day, I was beginning to get furious.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:22:40 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 02:08:24 PM »
I had some minor cracks in my original door panels from #1317 so I bought
a couple of reproductions (probably the first available) and reused the aluminum panels.
This was 30+years ago. They have cups that can't be removed. However, stupid as I am
I threw away the originals when moving to the US in 1987 when cleaning out the basement.
Saved the original cups though. These repro panels are still in the car and looks exactly like
they did 30+years ago.
Texas Swede

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 03:06:39 PM »
I have a set that came from Tony Branda that have the permanently mounted cups. Those slightly warped.
There was another issue with those. The metal support bracket that mounts to the door and supports the pull cup is too long to fit in the opening in the panel. That prompted the second purchase from NPD.
So it looks like a B.OH.I.C.A. situation again. ( Military slang for: Bend Over, Here It Comes Again)
I will likely be forced to purchase yet another set. However,it will not go without covering the situation in depth and making sure people are aware of the customer service and refusal to take care of shoddy expensive trim.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 04:25:06 PM »
Has anyone tried Mustang Market door panels? http://mustangmarket.com/door.htm

Here's what I'm dealing with on my car.  I know some of the clips aren't clipped in, but even if the panel was clipped in properly, it's still too small to fill the entire opening:

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 04:50:22 PM »
Has anyone tried Mustang Market door panels? http://mustangmarket.com/door.htm

Here's what I'm dealing with on my car.  I know some of the clips aren't clipped in, but even if the panel was clipped in properly, it's still too small to fill the entire opening:

UNBELIEVABLE!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 05:02:30 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 04:56:19 PM »
I need to clarify, in case it wasn't clear: the pictures I posted are of the panels currently on my car.  I have no idea who made them or how old they are, but they are not Mustang Market.  I only mentioned Mustang Market because I've heard good things about their products and was planning on eventually buying a set of their panels.  Sorry for any unintended confusion!   :)

Offline socalgt

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 09:27:04 PM »
Obviously I'm not alone dealing with this  issue...I called TMI and they appear to be willing to help...but I'm  not really sure what they can do.  It appears to me that because the vinyl over the area where the cup fits is pre-cut in an "X" pattern, and since the cup sits below and now flush with the top, the corners will inevitably tear or at least spread, exposing uncitely areas after installation.  I'll post what they propose as a resolution...again, they seem very willing to help.  Maybe I'll ask for a pair of  panels not pre-cut and cut the opening away myself.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 10:44:41 PM »
You should keep in mind that Ford started putting a screw on the door opening end (near the point) of the deluxe door panels to help hold the panels in. I think this started in Nov 66 . That screw goes a long ways to holding the panel tight to the door shell.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline socalgt

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »
Does any one have a picture showing a "neatly" installed cup, perhaps on an original panel so I can see just how it originally looked?  I believe TMI is going to send me new panels without the "X" slit where the cup goes, hoping that will allow a neater installation, but a picture of one installed without having damaged the panel would be nice.  I asked them to send me a picture of one of their panels with the cup installed.  I'll post it, assuming I receive it.