Author Topic: What is the correct "Radiator and Shroud Fan" for my 67?  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
What is the correct "Radiator and Shroud Fan" for my 67?
« on: October 02, 2016, 06:19:21 AM »
Hi,
Would need to replace my radiator.
But which set fits best and is most concours?

My car:
Convertible
V8
289 cui
C4 automatic
Air conditioning (factory)
Build Nov/66, San Jose

Would be great as well, if you good post pictures and sources where to buy to parts best.

I believe a 24" and a related 24" fan shroud (+ saddle brackets) would be most "correct", due to factoy AC.  Nevertheless, currently a 20" radiator is build in including a (FORD) ABS shroud fan.
But can't find any proper sources, and shops.

Thx for your feedback.

Ralf
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 01:05:11 PM by Ralf »
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.

Offline 7R02A

Re: What is the correct "Radiator and Shroud Fan" for my 67?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 09:06:02 PM »
Ralph, Attached is pictures of a SJ 67.  Scheduled build date of Dec 30th.  C code 289 with AC and DSO of 72.  Radiator and shrowd appear to be original.  Even though you have AC, in 67 they used a non saddle mount radiator.  The saddle mount didn't start until 68 for small blocks.  Hope this helps,  John.
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.
San Jose build, Actual build: Dec 17, 66.

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 09:07:38 PM »
Sorry Ralf.  Auto correct "fixed" your name.   :)
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.
San Jose build, Actual build: Dec 17, 66.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 12:05:57 AM »
Shroud ,is as pictured with FOMOCO in rectangle. FOMOCO in oval is end of 67 production change . Engineering number changed for 68 production to C8 .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Ralf

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 02:56:16 AM »
Thx for info.

I do have some issues with cooling. My radiator cap (13 and 16 lbs tested) opens every time the motor in on normal temperature (not overheated).
Cooling liquid spreaded all over the engine bay. Also only a 160° F Thermostat built in (before 180° F)

Tested:
- no white smoke from exhaust
- no water in oil (no white "foam" on the end of the oilstick, also none on the filler cap))
- no oil in radiator water
- no CO2 measured (means no cylinder crash, no gasket issue)

Thats the reason I'm thinking of using a better (bigger) radiator....also because the AC cooler is sitting just in front of the radiator and takes some "cooling air" away.

My mechanics (garage) has no better idea for problem solving so far than to change radiator , which is even new (1000 mls)

Where to go from here?

Than the saddle 24" radiator would not be correct, because only used 68. An aluminium radiator would be even "worse", because not used at all that time in 67.

Hm....?

(on the picture I can see a kind of "bottle" for coolant water, means to me  may be the car has also some cooling issues, collect the water from cooling system spreaded into the canister and than to bring it back (through underpressure) to the radiator when needed.

EDIT:

Understood that 24" was only being used in 68 and above (may be also 67, but only big block).
So, finally I think I will go with a new 19 7/8 inch super high efficiency radiator 3 row (Made in USA ! :-)) But than to place a filter on the above hose in between, not to cause an issue again with some possible dirt.
And if I do this, I'll replace my hoses to concours with clamps (San Jose car). But only to be replaced later on, when most of the dirt (limescale) has gone....
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 12:17:02 PM by Ralf »

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 10:57:08 PM »
Is it possible that you are over filling the radiator? The coolant level needs to be just above the fins in the radiator when cold. It will push any coolant that is in excess of this amount out of the radiator every time the engine reaches operating temperature, because the coolant expands when it is warm.

The aftermarket three core bolt in copper radiators do an excellent job.

Thx for info.

I do have some issues with cooling. My radiator cap (13 and 16 lbs tested) opens every time the motor in on normal temperature (not overheated).
Cooling liquid spreaded all over the engine bay. Also only a 160° F Thermostat built in (before 180° F)

Tested:
- no white smoke from exhaust
- no water in oil (no white "foam" on the end of the oilstick, also none on the filler cap))
- no oil in radiator water
- no CO2 measured (means no cylinder crash, no gasket issue)

Thats the reason I'm thinking of using a better (bigger) radiator....also because the AC cooler is sitting just in front of the radiator and takes some "cooling air" away.

My mechanics (garage) has no better idea for problem solving so far than to change radiator , which is even new (1000 mls)

Where to go from here?

Than the saddle 24" radiator would not be correct, because only used 68. An aluminium radiator would be even "worse", because not used at all that time in 67.

Hm....?

(on the picture I can see a kind of "bottle" for coolant water, means to me  may be the car has also some cooling issues, collect the water from cooling system spreaded into the canister and than to bring it back (through underpressure) to the radiator when needed.

EDIT:

Understood that 24" was only being used in 68 and above (may be also 67, but only big block).
So, finally I think I will go with a new 19 7/8 inch super high efficiency radiator 3 row (Made in USA ! :-)) But than to place a filter on the above hose in between, not to cause an issue again with some possible dirt.
And if I do this, I'll replace my hoses to concours with clamps (San Jose car). But only to be replaced later on, when most of the dirt (limescale) has gone....
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Ralf

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 08:44:11 AM »
Good point, but no.....there wasn't an overfill.

Check and correct filling even done by my Mustang Garage experts ;-)

In the time being I found and ordered a 19 7/8 radiator, copper,  3 rows, made in USA. And the correct hoses for my San Jose car.

System will be carefully "cleaned" before assembling, even a filter will be installed a certain period of time on the upper hose.

Will see if this will work out.

Thx
Ralf

Offline Ralf

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 03:14:55 PM »
Few days ago I bought a raditor.
So, this is what I got from NPD for about 950 € incl. shippment, taxes and fees....

Mustang RADIATOR, SUPER HIGH EFFICIENCY
8005-1EH
$535

Make your own judge.
Thx
Ralf

« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 03:17:21 PM by Ralf »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 04:53:20 PM »
Looks like the appearance of a typically modern aftermarket replacement radiator. I would have been pleasantly surprised if it looked closer in appearance to a factory unit. Some will take the original Ford marked top tanks and have them installed on the aftermarket radiator. FYI no "caution fan" sticker was used by the factory in 1967.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Ralf

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 05:20:57 AM »
Independent the aftermarket design. I would have expect a bit more to original look, honestly. Since it is anounced as USA made.

As I see it.....its a horrible paint job, seems someone has put the radiator into a plastic bag when just fresh painted, at least on the left side. Crincles.
Additionally it looks like the radiator top has been filled with something...undefined. Because e.g. the "3 mm nut" around the top is simply not there.....
Or I'm completely wrong....
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 06:12:35 AM by Ralf »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 09:43:42 AM »
You are learning the hard lessons of aftermarket parts. For a non concours cars inmost cases they are fine but where authenticity is paramount only original parts will do. You might be able to locate some original tanks and use the core provided the fin pattern is close to original.

Offline Ralf

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 01:09:15 PM »
You are learning the hard lessons of aftermarket parts.

This poor paint has nothing to do with aftermarket parts in my point of view. This has simply to do with visual quality checks which are obviously not done. Or this poor quality has been accepted by purpose by the inspector of the parts. I'm not talking about technical and functional aspects which might work on this part. Honestly, the China radiator I had before looked far better than this one. For that price of $535 I could expect a far better visual apperiance!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 05:30:06 PM by Ralf »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 07:54:20 PM »
This poor paint has nothing to do with aftermarket parts in my point of view. 
Poor paint, poor workmanship and poor quality are all common with many aftermarket parts. If you disagree why do you not want to use the reproduction exhaust tips?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 08:14:55 PM »
Poor paint, poor workmanship and poor quality are all common with many aftermarket parts. If you disagree why do you not want to use the reproduction exhaust tips?
+1 . see reply #8 .

Offline Ralf

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 06:16:30 AM »

Easy to answer.
There is no original radiator to find. And if, they are more or less dead. So here, almost no other choice than to use aftermarket. And especially due to the fact that I'm living in GER
which makes things rather complex. If someone is able to provide me an original top for this 20" radiator (as proposed to do this), I would be glad.
Dual NOS exhaust tips are rare, but can be find....
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:22:57 AM by Ralf »