Author Topic: 67 390 PCV hoses and intake fittings  (Read 4537 times)

Offline BKnapp

67 390 PCV hoses and intake fittings
« on: September 16, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »
i have searched and read, and now I have to ask. Most of what I found is for smog. Does anyone have some pictures for a non-smog, A/C application? The MPC illustrations for A/C leave a bit to be desired. I have a very basic picture from Mansfield, but it appears to be non A/C. Is there another resource I can turn to?

Thanks!
Bill

‘67 390 Coupe A/T  P/S  P/B. (Built 1/4/1967)  7R01S145xxx
‘67 390 FB A/T P/S P/B (Built 3/10/1967) 7F02S173xxx
2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniv.  Convert. #125

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 390 PCV hoses and intake fittings
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 04:52:48 PM »
The Assembly Manuals don't show anything?  Would guess (haven't looked ) that the one you referenced was from the MPC

Will look through my pictures but don't thing I've got a picture of that for a non-Thermactor
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline BKnapp

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 08:49:49 PM »
Thanks, Jeff. I was scouring the MPC illustrations, Shop Manual and a few other Manuals, but didn't think to look at the Chasis Manual I have from Osborn.  I think I can decipher a lot of what I am looking for, but weeding out everything I don't want for my application will take some time.

If someone could post a picture of the rear intake fitting(s)...looking particularly for a car with A/C, A/T and PB. One of the manuals shows the A/T line coming from the booster valve, is this correct?

One question on the Osborn Assy Manuals....what does the notation "Oper M-4610" , "Oper M-960", etc...mean or reference?

Thanks
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 10:00:03 PM »
Thanks, Jeff. I was scouring the MPC illustrations, Shop Manual and a few other Manuals, but didn't think to look at the Chasis Manual I have from Osborn.  I think I can decipher a lot of what I am looking for, but weeding out everything I don't want for my application will take some time.

If someone could post a picture of the rear intake fitting(s)...looking particularly for a car with A/C, A/T and PB. One of the manuals shows the A/T line coming from the booster valve, is this correct?

Yes its an odd set up compared to other years- some 67 applications take the vacuum source from the auto transmission from the check valve at the power brake booster unit. Will find an example and post though I've sure its posted in another thread some where
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 12:12:06 AM »
One question on the Osborn Assy Manuals....what does the notation "Oper M-4610" , "Oper M-960", etc...mean or reference?
Probably an abbreviation for an assembly line step or operation - "Oper", for car line "M-" and the actual operation number. In the hi-tec industry I've seen "Seq" for sequence number used. Most of the Ford assembly line records were archived and after 50 years, destroyed.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline preaction

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 10:36:06 PM »
Also what would determine when the brake booster was used for vacuum and not a spacer under the carb for the trans vacuum? My 67 S code auto has all of the listed options but it does have thermactor but the vacuum for that comes from the front of the manifold, and it currently has a spacer for the trans modulator vacuum. Bill, do you have a 67 engine assembly manual ?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 10:38:16 PM by preaction »
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 11:08:02 PM »
Also what would determine when the brake booster was used for vacuum and not a spacer under the carb for the trans vacuum? ..........

Vacuum from a carb spacer for the transmission line?  Don't know that I've ever seen that on a period Ford V8
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 11:24:20 PM »
If someone could post a picture of the rear intake fitting(s)...looking particularly for a car with A/C, A/T and PB.

Only have pieces and parts - even from restored cars (of which I save few picture sets) sine the air cleaners hide so much

In the picture below you can see the rear vacuum block (sort of) at the rear of the intake on a restored car. One hose appears to attach to the vacuum reservoir and the other the automatic transmission. The car is a Thermactor, tilt  without-AC . Just what I found

One of the manuals shows the A/T line coming from the booster valve, is this correct?

In these pictures you can see the check valve on the booster. Don't believe it was used on the S code applications. Plenty of vacuum ports on that engine

On a A code example

In a campaign (recall) kit from last half of the production year)

On an S code

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:40:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline BKnapp

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 01:15:00 AM »
Bill, do you have a 67 engine assembly manual ?

Paul, yes I have copies of all the Osborn Assembly manuals. The chassis manual has a detailed diagram on pg. 8 of all the various systems (too detailed in my opinion). I do see a hose from what looks to be the carb spacer...listed as "Hose 7B086 UTO. Trans." Not sure what that means.

Only have pieces and parts - even from restored cars (of which I save few picture sets) sine the air cleaners hide so much

Jeff, thanks for taking the time to dig up what you could. Your commitment to helping others is truly appreciated.

I need to get the correct set up...with the tube running between the front and back intake fitting, and tied into the valve cover PCV valve. Once I get this put together, I may try various routings for the other items. My thinking with the brake booster to transmission modulator, when braking hard there is probably little call for vacuum on the transmission. I need to figure out my vacuum pressure gauge and start reading about how all of this works...I am sure the diagrams would make a lot more sense if I knew what is actually going on :-[.

Where can I find specs for the various vacuum hoses listed? The line running to the transmission looks to be a smaller than the brake booster to manifold, but larger than the "typical" vacuum hose. From what I have seen, the booster hose has the "crimped" clamp on each end, and the PCV tube assembly uses the spring type clamps.

Thanks for the help! I will continue to try and piece the puzzle together and hopefully post a picture at some point. At this point, the only two things I know are correct in the engine bay are the ignition coil and power steering dipstick I got from Bob:) As I told him, everything else looks so bad, they look out of place.
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 01:37:50 AM »
......My thinking with the brake booster to transmission modulator, when braking hard there is probably little call for vacuum on the transmission. I need to figure out my vacuum pressure gauge and start reading about how all of this works...I am sure the diagrams would make a lot more sense if I knew what is actually going on :-[.

IMHO really doesn't matter what will work but instead for what we're doing here - want was original. Don't believe the pass through at the booster is correct for a big block. Never had it hooked up that way on the 67 S codes I've owned and we don't see it that way on 67 GT500's

Where can I find specs for the various vacuum hoses listed? The line running to the transmission looks to be a smaller than the brake booster to manifold, but larger than the "typical" vacuum hose. From what I have seen, the booster hose has the "crimped" clamp on each end, and the PCV tube assembly uses the spring type clamps.

The booster hose is a completely different hose from the all rubber ones used for pretty much everything else. Thermactor one is a really small size but the rest are all the same or pretty close. Slight difference may be due to different suppliers. Not allot of colored markings on the hoses that I've seen until 68 - don't recall any references listign color for identification. Have seen some marked but can't be sure (read not consistent) if they are original to the car

Glad to help :)  and thanks for the thanks  ;D
Jeff Speegle

Offline preaction

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 06:56:52 PM »
Vacuum from a carb spacer for the transmission line?  Don't know that I've ever seen that on a period Ford V8
Jeff, I only say this because as Bill wrote in the chassis assembly on page 8 under max vacuum options 390 engine there is a rubber vacuum looking line coming from the rear of the carb and connecting to what looks like the trans hard line going  to the modulator and its marked hose UTO trans. From this info I took that the carb spacer vacuum port was for the auto trans.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 08:04:52 PM »
Jeff, I only say this because as Bill wrote in the chassis assembly on page 8 under max vacuum options 390 engine there is a rubber vacuum looking line coming from the rear of the carb and connecting to what looks like the trans hard line going  to the modulator and its marked hose UTO trans. From this info I took that the carb spacer vacuum port was for the auto trans.

Don't have the chassis one just body and engine equipment. Not sure that your car qualifies as "max" vacuum option since it does not have Thermactor

Let me ask - is that page (page 8) marked specifically for Mustang and Cougar or does it include other models. Assembly manuals have "extra" information and details that often don't apply to our cars - reason I'm asking. Currently looking at a page that includes specific bell crank details on a paged marked for 67 Mustang and other models but it doesn't apply

Of course not a big deal as the connection could be swapped between the spacer and the port on the vacuum block quickly and with ease if better documentation shows up
Jeff Speegle

Offline preaction

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 08:21:44 PM »
This car does have thermactor, max vacuum except speed control. And eh hem, hide away headlights ::)  Page 8 marked 67 Mustang & Cougar 390 engine. Thanks Jeff.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 08:25:26 PM by preaction »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 08:28:30 PM »
This car does have thermactor, max vacuum except speed control. And eh hem, hide away headlights ::)  Page 8 marked 67 Mustang & Cougar 390 engine. Thanks Jeff.

Sorry got confused I had originally responded to Bill and his car was equipped differently from yours
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 08:33:21 PM »
I do see a hose from what looks to be the carb spacer...listed as "Hose 7B086 UTO. Trans." Not sure what that means.
That's a typo error, "UTO" is "AUTO". It appears to be routed from the carburetor base at the rear to the automatic transmission. The "T" connection located in close proximity to the AT tube (disappearing on its way to the transmission) is for Cougars only (headlight covers).
Let me ask - is that page (page 8) marked specifically for Mustang and Cougar or does it include other models.
Yes, Mustang and Cougar, no other model.
The reference "OPER" are for vacuum operations for the engine, maybe assembly line testing. It is a plumbers' nightmare.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.