Author Topic: 1967 289 Thermactor air pump pulley - seeking correct mounting bolts (4)  (Read 3533 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 289 Thermactor air pump pulley - seeking correct mounting bolts (4)
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 07:16:28 PM »
......... The car is now exempt from smog checks (older than year model 1975 in CA), but as near as I can tell the Thermactor Emissions system is still functioning well.  The system has never been removed from the car (pump, valves and hoses likely replaced over time) and all pieces are there.

Just as a quick clarification these cars are exempt from annual or bi-annual inspections but they (by law) still must retain the original systems or have one of the approved (what ever that is this year) aftermarket systems in place. Ever year or so they (the state) discusses the possibility of returning to the bi-annual testing and likely the money it would produce for the state. If you get caught producing over the limits on a road side test or a remote sniffer you can be required to go to a station and the fun begins :o

I happen to be one of four speaker that spoke before the senate committee when the current law was passed out of that committee and eventually went to the full body and pasted so have a little personal knowledge of what took place. ;)

Sorry for getting off just a little
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline C9ZZ-16228-B

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 07:10:46 PM »
Looking at several original 66-67 pumps I see three types of pulley retaining bolts; RBW, RBW with the grade marks, and plain head.  A smog pump I have handy has a date of March, 1966 and has plain head bolts.  I can take a look at some others to try to find a pattern as to when which bolts were used.  All fall under 20311-S, and require a 34806-S lockwasher.

As far as the 42973-S castle-head self locking bolt, it appears to me that that was a pre-production number for 1966.  If you look closely in Osborne's 66 engine manual, there are basically two sets of pulley/belt arrangement pages for with emissions; all the illustrations showing the 42973-S bolt are dated April 1, 1965 whereas the illustrations showing the 20311-S bolt are dated November 12, 1965.  I don't recall ever seeing any early 66 pumps with the 42973-S bolts, but next time i go to my warehouse i can see if i have any.

As an aside, the 65-72 Ford MPC as well as my 60-68 MPC show the 20311-S and 34806-S combo used to retain the clutch spring bracket to the pedal support for 65-66.  I think I've usually seen SEM bolts used there, but anything's possible.

garrett

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 08:01:26 PM »
Haven't ever seen a picture or document that shows an engine being shipped to the car assembly plant with the thermactor pump attached. If this is so then the variation of some of the retaining bolts may be a difference resulting in different plants attaching the pulley in this example.

The castle head style little bolts are typically (4 of them) used for the rear intake mount for the valve in this year. Installed with no washers Guess someone, with everything off of the car in boxes and bags) could confuse the use/application

Jeff Speegle

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 11:23:32 PM »
Those are consistent with what I have Jeff. I have the two piece bracket to mount that backfire valve (earlier style than the one single piece, later in the production year), but those castle bolts, without washers, are identical. I need to take and post some more photos for clarity. I'll try to this weekend...
Great info though you guys!
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 11:31:28 PM »
Those are consistent with what I have Jeff. I have the two piece bracket to mount that backfire valve (earlier style than the one single piece, later in the production year), but those castle bolts, without washers, are identical. I need to take and post some more photos for clarity. I'll try to this weekend...
Great info though you guys!

Its great we can help out - But lets all remember that the discussion here is 67. We can (as we have in the past) start a discussion of 66 features.  Sure we're all getting challenged in using the search trying to find specific information with so many threads on the site up to this point in time. Give us another 5 years and it could get more difficult unless we keep things tidy and focused   ::)
Jeff Speegle