Author Topic: 67 Dearborn Front frame rail paint color  (Read 3252 times)

Offline brennancarey

67 Dearborn Front frame rail paint color
« on: September 11, 2016, 07:42:50 AM »
Hi Guys

On my Dec 66 build FB, I am struggling to figure out how to paint my front frame rails  ???

Basically I have painted from the firewall forward in Red oxide from underneath and in the engine bay.

Then from the rear of the car forward  to the front frame rails I have painted it slop grey.

The problem I am struggling to figure out is on the front frame rails and and the transmission tunnel support...  I don't know if they need to be red oxide 1st and then continue the slop grey over it working from back to front and what/were does the transition from grey to red occur?

I am thinking I need to paint the frame rails red oxide until about where the firewall panel seam meets the floor pan seam and the trans tunnel and the rest of the frame rails slop grey back?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:03:09 PM by brennancarey »
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 Dearborn Front frame rail paint color
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 04:44:46 PM »
The problem I am struggling to figure out is on the front frame rails and and the transmission tunnel support...  I don't know if they need to be red oxide 1st and then continue the slop grey over it working from back to front and what/were does the transition from grey to red occur?

Form other examples it appears that the firewall (somewhere equal with just before it turns horizontal rearward)  reward was painted by the jets first then the firewall forward was painted red oxide.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 04:29:50 PM »
Thks Jeff..

by any chance do you or anyone have a reference pic of what it should look like, as they say a picture tells a thousand words.
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 04:57:08 PM »
Thks Jeff..

by any chance do you or anyone have a reference pic of what it should look like, as they say a picture tells a thousand words.

Let me check- The best example (or at least a nice example) I cleaned all the way to bare metal, collected the details but didn't take pictures of each layer. Before the digital camera period for me.

But will see what I have - with the condition of many cars the condition is not always great but we can see clues and evidence
Jeff Speegle

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 05:01:57 PM »
Let me check- The best example (or at least a nice example) I cleaned all the way to bare metal, collected the details but didn't take pictures of each layer. Before the digital camera period for me.

But will see what I have - with the condition of many cars the condition is not always great but we can see clues and evidence

thank you sir... I am busy trolling the inter web for reference of this as we speak for the last hr or so with no luck, plenty of red oxide floor pans with black engine bay transitions but not a single slop grey to red oxide to black firewall/ engine bay. I am picturing in my mind a red oxide stripe or band between the slop grey and the black of the firewall   :o
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 05:06:22 PM »
...... I am picturing in my mind a red oxide stripe or band between the slop grey and the black of the firewall   :o

Consider with all the overspray down from the firewall application any red oxide ( could easily be completely covered also) would likely have some or allot of black mist over it so not as shocking as it might appear in our minds.

Just wish less of these examples had so much surface rust and such. Would help allot but we can't control that
Jeff Speegle

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 05:48:13 PM »
probably a stupid question, but did the SJ cars get the same 'paint scheme'?
this is new for me, thought that the underside was red oxide and that there was a transition with semi gloss black at the fire wall/engine bay...
did not know there was sloppy grey involved  :o??
knowing off course that I am at the other side of the world and no 'pro' what's so ever...
thanks in advance,
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 05:54:44 PM »
probably a stupid question, but did the SJ cars get the same 'paint scheme'?
this is new for me, thought that the underside was red oxide and that there was a transition with semi gloss black at the fire wall/engine bay...
did not know there was sloppy grey involved  :o??

In 67 at San Jose no, not from all the ones I've see. The discussion of batch comes in because the focus in this thread is Dearborn cars
Jeff Speegle

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 01:59:03 PM »
Consider with all the overspray down from the firewall application any red oxide ( could easily be completely covered also) would likely have some or allot of black mist over it so not as shocking as it might appear in our minds.

Just wish less of these examples had so much surface rust and such. Would help allot but we can't control that

Interesting point you make about the overspray, I would have thought someone would have done this or have some reference around here but it seems not.. :-[

I will give it a try and post some pics for review..  :)
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »
Interesting point you make about the overspray, I would have thought someone would have done this or have some reference around here but it seems not.. :-[....

Each of us typically doesn't think about all the details when their disassembling their car. Often assuming that someone else can tell me or simply forgot. The internet and the hobby IMHO as become a great help but also (in ways) a crutch in these areas.

But in an effort to illustrate I did find some Dearborn examples of this transition area though I had to go outside 67 to find some examples that were clean enough to show some details

One example where the batch started in the 30 degree area of the panel - pretty quickly. Might be the angle that the jets were set or where the trigger was set during this period. Can make out the black from the firewall application at the top and the dark bluish color at the bottom. No visible red oxide that low - likely due to how far forward the batch started on this one

In these pictures i can make out that it appears that the batch starts further down the 30 degree section or slightly behind where it goes horizontal and you can make out the red oxide on the panel surface under the black firewall paint and overspray. In the bottom example its apparent to me that some of the black has been cleaned off due to some heavy handed cleaning but it does show what the orders of the colors and application were -   right of the speedo cable for example and of course the cleaning had to remove a fair amount of black overspray that would be hiding even more of the red oxide color originally

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 05:26:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 04:17:12 PM »
Thought I would post a status update on what I have done thus far, what do you think.. am I on the right track here with this?

I still need to paint the engine bay and firewall in black but this is my interpretation of what I have read and hopefully learnt..  :o

The other thing when painting which I never considered is does the torque box go red oxide or slop/batch grey ?
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 04:29:26 PM »
The other thing when painting which I never considered is does the torque box go red oxide or slop/batch grey ?

Since the torque box(s) is reward the bottom side would have the batch of course later with allot of body and pinch weld black out . the face would have red oxide that would normally be covered with body color and maybe some sound deadener on the final product
Jeff Speegle

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 04:34:17 PM »

Since the torque box(s) is reward the bottom side would have the batch of course later with allot of body and pinch weld black out . the face would have red oxide that would normally be covered with body color and maybe some sound deadener on the final product

Ok great then I got it right.. as I painted it batch and it has a slight bit of oxide mist.
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 02:47:59 PM »
Hi All, its been a while but this restoration thing can be a slow process..   :(

Anyway this is where I am at with my firewall and frame rails and torque box.  Just relooking at what I have done and reading what we discussed previously it looks like I have accidentally painted my torque box red oxide instead of batch slop grey ?  If so do you think I would get away with leaving it and put a goof covering of body colour (dark moss green ) over the torque box?  and rails

Also any critique and comments on the firewall and tunnel transition is welcome ? 

Thks
Brennan
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 09:29:23 PM »
Hi All, its been a while but this restoration thing can be a slow process..   :(

Anyway this is where I am at with my firewall and frame rails and torque box.  Just relooking at what I have done and reading what we discussed previously it looks like I have accidentally painted my torque box red oxide instead of batch slop grey ?  If so do you think I would get away with leaving it and put a goof covering of body colour (dark moss green ) over the torque box?  and rails

Does the red oxide color end abruptly at the back edge of the torque box or is it a "soft" edge

Since the red oxide appears to have been applied after the floor color part of the process would have been for the painter to make sure that they covered everything that didn't get sprayed by the mounted jets so I believe the possibility of a painter going a little further would be under "human error" or serve a purpose. If its does not stop abruptly then move of this will be covered by body color then pinch weld so I think it makes sense in a number of ways
Jeff Speegle