Author Topic: PS control valve rubber seal cover plate finish  (Read 2727 times)

Offline 67gta289

PS control valve rubber seal cover plate finish
« on: September 07, 2016, 10:43:24 AM »
Need direction on proper finish of the PS control valve rubber seal cover plate, as shown in the pictures.

Note that the new one available in the rebuild kit is vastly different than the original, which I will have replated.

I also noted many differences in the rubber seal, end boot, clamps, etc.  Will report out on those when I get time to organize the information.

Thanks, John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline jwc66k

Re: PS control valve rubber seal cover plate finish
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 11:50:57 AM »
John,
You probably got a specific kit for your car's year, but the components may be "universal", a one size fits all or at least more than one. You also have a 48 plus year gap in design to compensate for. The rubber parts will probably work and will be difficult to see, the metal should be replated if possible. It's expensive to do one or two pieces but it's your car.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline specialed

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 12:59:19 PM »
the assembly line metal rubber boot cover is raw steel & often get rust pitted & damaged. The service replacement ford kits came goldish plated but that isn't concours correct as often seen in restorations.  I talked to chris brown about how hard it is to find that part in rust free pitted condition for concours resto  so he went out & had it made correctly & he sent me one & they excellent.   Also the later service metal cover is a different design as I have seen 2 other designs that are wrong & the cover chris made is from the original assembly line version making it correct & in raw steel with the correct 2 special slotted screws.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 02:18:32 PM »
From several old donor parts, this is what appears to be the screw used, in case someone needs a picture
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 06:16:58 PM »
From several old donor parts, this is what appears to be the screw used, in case someone needs a picture
The finish would be plated S7 or S2 .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 07:14:40 PM »
The finish would be plated S7 or S2 .
Would you clarify that.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 10:25:47 PM »
Would you clarify that.
Jim
Seen silver and light gray. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 01:20:56 PM »
Was cleaning up another cover plate, and where the grease was cleaned off on the inside, I could see a silver finish as Bob mentioned.  (Lousy) pictures attached.

You can see that the outside is gray after a soaking in Evaporust.  The grease protected inside is nice and shiny.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 01:54:06 PM »
Was cleaning up another cover plate, and where the grease was cleaned off on the inside, I could see a silver finish as Bob mentioned. (Lousy) pictures attached.

You can see that the outside is gray after a soaking in Evaporust.  The grease protected inside is nice and shiny.

Your LAWN came in PERFECTLY clear though!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 10:58:49 PM »
Was cleaning up another cover plate, and where the grease was cleaned off on the inside, I could see a silver finish as Bob mentioned.  (Lousy) pictures attached.

I was referring to the screws. Ed got me looking at originals and has convinced me that the cover was bare steel. Replacements were typically zinc Dichromate gold. Zinc Dichromate is a dipped plating/dye that has to go over zinc to adhere. I doesn't take much for it to wear off. It is silver under the gold. I am guessing that the silver you are seeing is the base zinc plating .

Offline specialed

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 09:37:18 AM »
john the silver you are seeing on the underside of the cover plate in your pic is raw steel (not silver plating) that has never been exposed to the elements all these years being protected with grease & dirt. If you want a new fresh raw steel cover contact chris brown or letme know as I have one of his samples to inspect  & npd will have them in there book shortly as after seeing this post they contacted me & bought a quanity to resell.  I have nos p/s control valves in old fomoco boxes dated 68 & some nos valves that came from the Bendix plant & they all have raw steel boot covers as well as every low mile original cars I have inspected &( that's just the way it is.) if you want to be concours correct anyway.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 09:44:36 AM by specialed »

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 10:15:59 PM »
OK I've got clear direction now, thanks Bob and Ed.  Regarding the cover plate, I ended up scoring an original with no pits, so I'm all set there.  I do have an NOS part in an unopened clear package and the plate is incorrect zinc dichromate gold as you mentioned, and won't be using that.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 10:29:01 PM »
OK I've got clear direction now, thanks Bob and Ed.  Regarding the cover plate, I ended up scoring an original with no pits, so I'm all set there.  I do have an NOS part in an unopened clear package and the plate is incorrect zinc dichromate gold as you mentioned, and won't be using that.
All you have to do is get some Eagle One Wire Wheel Cleaner.It gets rid of rust on wire wheels or zinc dichromate and zinc plating on a NOS gold over.   

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 12:23:54 PM »
All you have to do is get some Eagle One Wire Wheel Cleaner. It gets rid of rust on wire wheels or zinc dichromate and zinc plating on a NOS gold over.
A word of warning -
https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-665856-Chrome-Cleaner/product-reviews/B0030Q25IQ
The reviews are both complimentary and damning.
Jim

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 04:53:51 PM »
A word of warning -
https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-665856-Chrome-Cleaner/product-reviews/B0030Q25IQ
The reviews are both complimentary and damning.
Jim
The reason why it works eating the plating off is because it is strong . It has been around for years . It is not like battery acid or anything but common sense is essential just like with most restoration tools.