Author Topic: 67 Differential Markings Questions - 8 Inch  (Read 1843 times)

Offline dlevy

67 Differential Markings Questions - 8 Inch
« on: September 07, 2016, 02:07:54 AM »
Hi,

I cleaned up my differential to find any markings. There are some, but would like to get some opinions as to what I am seeing if they are really markings or my imagination...

The tag on the differential reads:
WCZ - F1
3 00  7CB 931

That corresponds to the 3.00 differential indicated in my Marti Report.

67 convertible, GTA, C4 trans, AC Dearborn in March

1. There appears to be a blue daub on either side.
2. On one side there is an "8" or a "B" over the blue daub in a white or cream color. 
3. There is a white area alone the flange of the pinion retainer and what almost looks like a "GT" on the hood on the pinion retainer.
4. On the yoke, it is hard to tell, but looks like a daub of a light color too

I posted a picture of the inside. Was very clean inside.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the paint for the red oxide color? Looks very similar to Gliptal which is a semi-gloss.

Thanks,
Dave
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 05:43:24 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 Differential Markings Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 05:33:40 AM »
These were alll applied at the axle plant

1. There appears to be a blue daub on either side.

Picture 1 & 2 - On the passenger side is normally an assembler or inspector number -typically double digit. Sometimes you can find drips in the section at the bottom of the picture in this example it appears that the person started writing his number again but stopped with the first digit. Maybe figured out there wan't enough room so they started over in the typical spot. Have seen two or three other different colors used for this purpose in this location

2. On one side there is an "8" or a "B" over the blue daub in a white or cream color. 

Picture 3 - "8" in white is what I've seen on other similar examples. Blue in this example may just be drips from the other worker passing the brush over the case to the passenger side

3. There is a white area alone the flange of the pinion retainer and what almost looks like a "GT" on the hood on the pinion retainer.

4. On the yoke, it is hard to tell, but looks like a daub of a light color too

Picture 4 - would guess (based on other examples) the color was likely yellow

Top of yoke shield. Sorry don't recall any others marked there but will check and report if I find something to compare.

For the paint I've always used the same epoxy primer/sealer I use on the floor board just straight out of the can - no tinting. Then redo all the bare metal surfaces like they did originally. You can clean those surfaces off first, mask them off but not very well then go back over then after the paint for a freshly machined look.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 05:42:33 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

Re: 67 Differential Markings Questions - 8 Inch
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 07:06:09 AM »
Some similarities and differences compared to the one I documented here:  http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6927.msg39306#msg39306

John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline dlevy

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 09:45:21 PM »
Thanks so much.

Very useful information.

Just to sum it up so I make sure I get it right:
1. "8" on the passenger side in white
2. Blue initials on driver's side (looks like a "TC" and a backwards "3") but should only be 2 initials.
3. Likely yellow daub on the yolk
4. Do you make anything of the white area along the bolt flange on the yolk shield part? Can see it in pictures 1,2,5.

5. Would you be willing to share what brand primer/sealer color for the red oxide do you use?

6. Also is there a typical color source for all the daubs I find on the car?

Thanks again
Dave
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:55:59 PM by dlevy »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 10:51:43 PM »
Just to sum it up so I make sure I get it right:...
2. Blue initials on driver's side (looks like a "TC" and a backwards "3") but should only be 2 initials.

I've only seen numbers applied in that area - this year and application. Can see the 3 at the face of the third member (right side up from certain angles)  and a possible 31 higher up on the side. But if I flip the picture up side down I do see a TC. No telling if that is what they wrote or meant to write. Good thing is you have the original example to reproduce when time comes

4. Do you make anything of the white area along the bolt flange on the yolk shield part? Can see it in pictures 1,2,5.

Playing with it in Photoshop I can see the possibility of a B2, B3, 62 or 63

You would have a better guess since your looking at it in person. We're restricted to one angle and can only rotate the canvas and play with the contrast and lighting

5. Would you be willing to share what brand primer/sealer color for the red oxide do you use?

PPG the DPLF 74

6. Also is there a typical color source for all the daubs I find on the car?

If your asking if there is a published list of all the paint marks your specific car should or would have had, the answer is not that I'm aware of -  All the paint marks would be a challenge since each car was likely slightly different. Things like which worker was working at the time and that things were not applied exactly the same way every time (though they do tend to fall into a identifiable pattern most of the time) makes it a challenge. That is why we general focus on the "common" marks that have been documented time and time again.  While leaving the odd ones for discussions until we find more examples if they are out there. 

The cars buildsheet is a start and will provide you with some (less in early years and more as the car gets newer) Other than that no real source. There was a booklet published years ago but it used the MPC (the 75 version) and showed marks on only the parts being serviced at that time and their markings. Not accurate IMHO. The rest is left to us that have documented and cataloged paint marks for specific applications for 30-40 years - filling multiple binders and plenty of photos. Currently have about 7,000 pictures of just paint marks

Hesitate a bit at showing too many marks online as history has shown allot of people take the easy route and rather than asking just borrow the mark and apply it to their car with no other reason that they saw it on the internet- without any or little consideration of plant, time or how the car was equipped
Jeff Speegle

Offline dlevy

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 01:22:43 AM »
Thanks for the clarifications.

As for my paint daubs question. I was going after the actual paint itself.

Have compatible brands and colors (names or paint code #'s) of paints been identified to use for the daubs? Would you share what you use for the actual paint for the daubs?

I do not want to stray too far off topic, but is there a current paint match for the 1967 car colors too? In my case Brittany Blue.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 02:03:02 AM »
Thanks for the clarifications.

As for my paint daubs question. I was going after the actual paint itself.

Have compatible brands and colors (names or paint code #'s) of paints been identified to use for the daubs? Would you share what you use for the actual paint for the daubs?

OK now I understand.

I use few colors right out of the containers but instead mix them together to get a match to the original color. Also depends since your only doing a single car where I might do a dozen or more over a period of time.

An earlier related thread

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6144.msg35109#msg35109

Basic colors such as black, bright/strong red, orange, tan or white can be something like Testor's  but if you get into marking drivelines or some spindles then a couple or more bottles will be needed.

Krylon school bus yellow is pretty good for some of the bright yellows and a Meadowlark Blue that can be used for some of the light blue marks, Testor's makes a lavender that is a decent match for the lavender used in many markings. There are some that are just OK IMHO so I take a base that is close and add to it. The more the better (I will normally go through it at some point) and you don't want to run out half way through because another mix will likely be off no matter how much you try.

Might want to ask the exterior color question in another thread.
Jeff Speegle

Offline tomtri66

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 10:04:46 AM »

Picture 3 - "8" in white is what I've seen on other similar examples. Blue in this example may just be drips from the other worker passing the brush over the case to the passenger side

Jeff,
Is the "8" in this area always white in the examples you've seen?  Asking because I found evidence of this 8 in this spot on my '65 8" but the color was unclear to me.  I thought maybe it was yellow.
Thanks,
Tom
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:10:37 AM by tomtri66 »
MCA# 78748 Adirondack Shelby Mustang Club
66 Metuchen HT Sprint 200 Package B
6T07T194XXX   65A       Y       22     20A     ?        2       6
                    BODY  COLOR  TRIM  DATE  DSO  AXLE  TRANS
C/O    762
4        A20     6T07T194XXX
65A       Y        22

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 07:58:30 PM »
Jeff,
Is the "8" in this area always white in the examples you've seen?

This year and application (being very careful how I answer this ;)  No and for other applications and years where I have seen it - No also

Asking because I found evidence of this 8 in this spot on my '65 8" but the color was unclear to me.  I thought maybe it was yellow.

I've seen on 65 8" center sections yellow also being used for this mark

Don't want to get too far off thread   :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline tomtri66

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »
This year and application (being very careful how I answer this ;)  No and for other applications and years where I have seen it - No also

I've seen on 65 8" center sections yellow also being used for this mark

Don't want to get too far off thread   :)

Thanks Jeff!  I totally understand, it's not my intention to hijack this thread, apologies ;)
Tom
MCA# 78748 Adirondack Shelby Mustang Club
66 Metuchen HT Sprint 200 Package B
6T07T194XXX   65A       Y       22     20A     ?        2       6
                    BODY  COLOR  TRIM  DATE  DSO  AXLE  TRANS
C/O    762
4        A20     6T07T194XXX
65A       Y        22