Author Topic: '66 GT "A" Code (Oct 65) Metuchen Undercarriage Color?  (Read 11383 times)

Offline Turnall

Re: '66 GT "A" Code (Oct 65) Metuchen Undercarriage Color?
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2016, 03:25:52 PM »
It appears that some red oxide primer did make it to the undercarriage after all.  The 2 pictures are of the passenger side rear rail.  The reddish/brown color does stop before where the leaf spring attaches to the rail.

Allen

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2016, 04:19:34 PM »
Maybe the paint ran dry in the vessel containing the red oxide primer and your car was one that was just the first or second that made it through that station before someone noticed the issue.  If so, I'd imagine that the assembly line would not be stopped for someone to re-fill the container (100's of gallons?) which would take quite some time to fill. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Turnall

« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2016, 09:28:29 AM »
Sounds feasible midlife. 

I decided to go ahead and paint the undercarriage silver and will try as Charles had suggested (if I recall correctly) to put some black around the factory spot welds to try and make them look genuine.  Still a lot of work do to on the undercarriage, but I think it has turned out well so far.

Thanks,

Allen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2016, 07:25:41 PM »
Maybe the paint ran dry in the vessel containing the red oxide primer and your car was one that was just the first or second that made it through that station before someone noticed the issue.  If so, I'd imagine that the assembly line would not be stopped for someone to re-fill the container (100's of gallons?) which would take quite some time to fill.

Remember that this (the floor base color) was applied by jets from below so that the supply to them would have to be to all at the same time, unless what we find is the result of one plugging up. Because of this we would expect to find all of them stopping or starting across the car from one side to the other rather than in one area or side than the other. Since the picture is on the outboard rear frame rail (think that is what I'm seeing) its more likely IMHO that this is from the coating of the outer body (in this case the lower edge of the rear pinch weld or through the wheel well opening towards the rear of the car) rather than from below unless there are more findings or clues
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Turnall

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2016, 02:08:09 AM »
Since the picture is on the outboard rear frame rail (think that is what I'm seeing) its more likely IMHO that this is from the coating of the outer body (in this case the lower edge of the rear pinch weld or through the wheel well opening towards the rear of the car) rather than from below unless there are more findings or clues

Keen observation (and maybe not the best pictures).  This is the passenger rear frame rail.  The 2nd photo shows that the red looking paint is also on the bottom of the trunk pan(?). 

Did/Was the red oxide painted from the side as well as from the bottom?  I ask because of your experience as I have no knowledge of how the undercarriage was "meant/suppose" to be painted.  The 2 pictures of the red oxide looking paint is the only paint on the undercarriage (besides the nightmist blue overspray) that I could find.

EDIT:  Re-reading your post this morning and now understand what you were saying.  You're of the opinion that the primer showing was from the car body being primered around that area.

Thanks in advance,

Allen
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:04:26 AM by Turnall »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2016, 06:35:05 PM »
EDIT:  Re-reading your post this morning and now understand what you were saying.  You're of the opinion that the primer showing was from the car body being primered around that area.

The exterior body would have received a coat of red oxide primer sealer followed by a coat of light gray primer surfacer buy hand. In an attempt to insure some coverage of the exterior body down to the bottom edge of the pinch weld and the wheel well the pattern you see could have resulted if I understand the area from your pictures
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)