Author Topic: '66 GT "A" Code (Oct 65) Metuchen Undercarriage Color?  (Read 11392 times)

Offline Turnall

Re: '66 GT "A" Code (Oct 65) Metuchen Undercarriage Color?
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2016, 03:32:41 PM »
Starting to look like no undercarriage primer, just over-spray from exterior paint and other areas.

What color was the car originally?

Nightmist blue.  I have attached a picture.  I think it is original paint, but I am not sure (just basing on what the primer looks like on some scratches with no other paint underneath).

Allen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2016, 06:03:37 PM »
Thanks for trying things in a effort to understand what may have taken place with your car.

Don't know if it was asked earlier - did you ever check the firewall forward area since that (as we understand) was a hands on application where the floors was sort of automatic - or was suppose to be. In over 40 years have only found/seen one no primer floor car. Have seen a few where the sprayers stopped and the workers went back to cover/fix the bare surfaces. We know from other examples that they were applying primer sealer to the floors on cars built at this plant and time period so we kind of know that they meant to paint it even if yours didn't get any. The challenge for you is do you reproduce a mistake/error or restore the car as it should have been built. Have had this discussion with dozens of owners through the years and often if comes down to the details (what was messed up, applied or forgotten) of the specific car and if the owner wanted to be "that guy" :)

As for the posting on multiple forums - experience has shown that you can get too much input and in some cases (if people realize that your doing the multiple request) people will hold back, take their time to respond (since they figure your getting answers some where else) or ignore the request for the same reason. Just human nature I guess.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 06:07:37 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Turnall

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
Thanks for trying things in a effort to understand what may have taken place with your car.

Don't know if it was asked earlier - did you ever check the firewall forward area since that (as we understand) was a hands on application where the floors was sort of automatic - or was suppose to be. In over 40 years have only found/seen one no primer floor car. Have seen a few where the sprayers stopped and the workers went back to cover/fix the bare surfaces. We know from other examples that they were applying primer sealer to the floors on cars built at this plant and time period so we kind of know that they meant to paint it even if yours didn't get any. The challenge for you is do you reproduce a mistake/error or restore the car as it should have been built. Have had this discussion with dozens of owners through the years and often if comes down to the details (what was messed up, applied or forgotten) of the specific car and if the owner wanted to be "that guy" :)

As for the posting on multiple forums - experience has shown that you can get too much input and in some cases (if people realize that your doing the multiple request) people will hold back, take their time to respond (since they figure your getting answers some where else) or ignore the request for the same reason. Just human nature I guess.

Thanks Jeff (and for the advice).

I am attaching a couple of pictures.  The first showing the engine bay.  The second showing a closer picture of the firewall.  The pictures were taken before everything was out of the bay but hopefully can give an idea as to what the firewall looked like.  I have since cleaned the engine bay and repainted it, so some of what is in the photos is now lost.

As far as how to restore, I personally lean more to "as it should have been built".  I will however, continue to clean as Charles recommended to try and be sure I can get an idea as to what did take place...

Allen

Offline Turnall

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2016, 08:02:26 PM »
Passenger side in the tunnel and the bottom as well as the front rail.  This was cleaned with a putty knife to get the dirt/grime off and then with simple green and a brush then wiped dry with a towel...

Allen

Offline sgl66

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2016, 08:19:03 PM »
Allen,

Here's an example from mine where the fuel line crosses over the frame up front. According to Charles and Jeff, this would have been painted by a person with a spray gun and not the machine that didn't paint your floors
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline Turnall

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2016, 08:41:55 PM »
Maybe the drivers side will help.  Were the brake and fuel lines installed after the undercarriage was painted?

Allen

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2016, 08:46:29 PM »
Passenger side in the tunnel and the bottom as well as the front rail.  This was cleaned with a putty knife to get the dirt/grime off and then with simple green and a brush then wiped dry with a towel...

Seems the evidence keeps building that this particular car did not get floor primer/sealer.  If the floor is not rotted out, it's just short of a miracle that it's still together, lol!

If you can show irrefutable proof with pictures, I personally might be inclined to paint the undercarriage with a silver paint to replicate the appearance of bare metal.  It gets complicated, though, as the frame rails and rocker panels were galvanized.  You'd have a tough time replicating all the dark appearing spot welds.  Would be a fun, interesting project.  But, as Jeff mentioned, you're going to get a lot of critics and you'll be the 'no primer guy'... which might not be all that bad ;-)
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2016, 08:48:41 PM »
Maybe the drivers side will help.  Were the brake and fuel lines installed after the undercarriage was painted?

Yes, installed after primer/sealer.

Offline Turnall

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2016, 09:19:18 PM »
1st picture is of the area where the fuel line would cross.

Charles, the next 3 pictures are trying to give an adequate portrayal of the undercarriage.  There were only 2 spots that were bad.  You can see the piece that has been replaced on the drivers side front floor (need to grind down the welds) and one piece on the passengers side.  Fortunately, these two places were the result of a leaking windshield and not the cowl...

Allen

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2016, 09:46:56 PM »
I wonder if a Previous Owner had the entire underside pressure washed to find all of the areas that might be rotted when the driver's floor pan was found bad (and replaced).  With sufficient pressure, paint would disappear and what was left simply began to rust away.  Maybe that's also the reason that one found no sound-proofing whatsoever along the trans tunnel. 

Have you looked inside the rear snubber bracket by removing the rubber piece?  That's one area that might get painted and protected. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Turnall

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2016, 10:26:35 PM »
I wonder if a Previous Owner had the entire underside pressure washed to find all of the areas that might be rotted when the driver's floor pan was found bad (and replaced).  With sufficient pressure, paint would disappear and what was left simply began to rust away.  Maybe that's also the reason that one found no sound-proofing whatsoever along the trans tunnel. 

Have you looked inside the rear snubber bracket by removing the rubber piece?  That's one area that might get painted and protected.

Pictures of the rear snubber bracket...

Allen

Offline sgl66

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2016, 10:31:00 PM »
1st picture is of the area where the fuel line would cross.

have you cleaned the frame more toward the front of the car?

I don't think pressure washing is the answer as it wouldn't explain what you found under the spring washer and other clip removed. If it were me, I would finish the cleanup as best as possible and then go over it with clear to preserve it.You have a unique Metuchen screw up and it's kind of cool to see galvanized and bare steel so why redo it to normal red oxide? If I recall, you bought the car from an owner in the southwest which is fortunate because if it was a northeast car, the undercarriage would have disintegrated long ago without any primer.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline Turnall

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2016, 11:08:14 PM »

If I recall, you bought the car from an owner in the southwest which is fortunate because if it was a northeast car, the undercarriage would have disintegrated long ago without any primer.

I have not, but will. Have left my warehouse now.

The car has an Atlanta DSO and I bought it just south of Montgomery, Alabama.  An earlier owner actually has a Mustang parts business I believe in North Alabama but I have yet to contact him in order to get more information that he may know about the vehicle.  I should probably do that...

Allen
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:13:49 PM by Turnall »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2016, 11:22:16 PM »
Under the snubber bracket would be typical over-sprays from the car being painted and possibly some sealer primer (gray) blown over.  If the paint is original on the exterior, you'll find body color, gray primer and then red-oxide.  The areas inside the trunk and under the hood were not seal-primed, so you'll see body color direct over red-oxide.

Offline Turnall

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2016, 10:00:49 AM »

In the 2 pictures you can see a reddish/brown color that is covered partially with black (I'm assuming where the engine bay was originally painted).  The rail transition (aft) does not have any (maybe a bit of overspray) paint on it on both sides...

If there are any other areas that anyone would specifically like to see, I will be happy to take photos.  I am, however, busy with work today so it will be later (~6-7 cst) before I can take any more pictures.

Allen