Author Topic: Choke cable routing at firewall 66 NJ K-code  (Read 3601 times)

Offline mach1one

Choke cable routing at firewall 66 NJ K-code
« on: August 16, 2016, 11:54:45 PM »
Looking for some help on the choke cable routing at the firewall on a Metuchen built 66 fastback k-code 4spd Build date 4/15/66. On this car all three dimples above the engine feed harness have been messed with and drilled out. I've done a search of the forum with no luck. The only thing on this car that would pass thru one of those dimples would be the choke cable. Thanks for any help and guidance. Lu

Offline jwc66k

Re: Choke cable routing at firewall 66 NJ K-code
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 12:44:34 AM »
Looking at my Oct 65 San Jose K Fastback, the choke cable hole is about 3 inches to the right (towards the passenger side) and down about 1/2 inch from the rectangular connector for the engine feed. It should be a 3/4 inch hole for the grommet. The grommet is the problem as it seems that nobody makes a suitable reproduction. NPD refers you to the same grommet as the brake lines use. It slips inside the drivers compartment (where mine is again). The correct one is 7/16 inch thick with an extended section going in the hole from the engine compartment.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline mach1one

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 01:08:21 AM »
From my understanding the Metuchen cars had the choke cable in a different position from SJ or Dearborn built cars. Is This the case?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 02:15:41 AM »
From my understanding the Metuchen cars had the choke cable in a different position from SJ or Dearborn built cars. Is This the case?

Might want to check the Hipo Mustang eKschange (HPM eKschange) Believe the subject has been covered there in the past and owners (if I recall correctly) that at least one of the early years was different than what was being found on cars from the other plants

We'll see how many here have documentation of 66 NJ K codes specifically
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 02:36:55 AM »
Looking at my Oct 65 San Jose K Fastback, the choke cable hole is about 3 inches to the right (towards the passenger side) and down about 1/2 inch from the rectangular connector for the engine feed. It should be a 3/4 inch hole for the grommet. The grommet is the problem as it seems that nobody makes a suitable reproduction. NPD refers you to the same grommet as the brake lines use. It slips inside the drivers compartment (where mine is again). The correct one is 7/16 inch thick with an extended section going in the hole from the engine compartment.
Jim
I believe Brant at Virginia carries a repro grommet for the choke cable now.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 10:31:07 AM »
There was an older post here that indicated the '66 NJ Metuchen choke cable was mounted up higher than typical for other plants.  HPMX is probably another good source to check.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mach1one

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 01:43:52 PM »
looked over at the hipo site with no better info. Maybe a metuchen k code owner can chime in

Offline sgl66

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
Center dimple is where mine was crudely punched. It looks like they used about a 5/8 punch and hit from the engine compartment side. Definitely not stamped like fog lights on GT cars.

Virginia Mustang sells the grommet, PE-2831
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 02:49:32 PM »
Common misconception that holes were punched... any non-standard holes would have been made with a hole saw.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sgl66

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 04:45:03 PM »
This was definitely not done with a hole saw. I recall seeing a hanging chad on the this site from a mis stamped fog light switch hole from a documented Metuchen GT. These may both be Metuchen anomalies but I don't see how either would have come from a hole saw.

Ignore the wire, it's for a tach that's on my to do list to fix

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 04:46:23 PM »
Virginia Mustang sells the grommet, PE-2831
Thanks. It's added to my list.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 04:54:10 PM »
This was definitely not done with a hole saw. I recall seeing a hanging chad on the this site from a mis stamped fog light switch hole from a documented Metuchen GT. These may both be Metuchen anomalies but I don't see how either would have come from a hole saw.
My San Jose "K" choke hole appears to have been made with a hole saw. It is round, about 3/4 inch in dia, and has a very slight indentation on the LH edge.
My fog lamp wiring holes were also done with a hole saw, both GT Fastbacks (65 and 66). All this shows is Metuchen and San Jose used different techniques.
Jim

Offline sgl66

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 05:52:46 PM »
All this shows is Metuchen and San Jose used different techniques.
Yup and my car is only one example. Curious to see if other examples are the same.

Offline mach1one

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 07:06:28 PM »
Great responses! It appears that the Metuchen line did not use a grommet in the choke cable hole. Appears to be no support at the hole for it

Offline sgl66

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 07:36:43 PM »
Great responses! It appears that the Metuchen line did not use a grommet in the choke cable hole. Appears to be no support at the hole for it
I wouldn't go that far. They probably used it and fudged it in