Author Topic: 68 original color for the front grille and transmission plate ??  (Read 2169 times)

Offline mhubert89

Hi !

I saw a conversation about the 66 front grille about a grey color ... What about 68 one , need a special color or its black ?

What about the transmission plate separator, black or suppose to be bare metal ?

Thanks
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 original color for the front grille and transmission plate ??
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 08:29:16 PM »
What about the transmission plate separator, black or suppose to be bare metal ?

Guess your describing (just so we're all on the same page ;)  the engine plate between the engine and transmission. Alos guessing that your asking about a small block V8 (C or J code) 68.

The engine plate was attached to the engine at the time it was painted so at least the outer edge (along the top and sides) as well as the exposed surface behind the oil pan were painted engine color (blue)

The only area that was left bare steel was the area where the starter was attached to insure a good ground and operation. The paint fades in that area (not a sharp tapped edge) and often there can be some light overspray in maybe 50% or so of the surface since spraying would not be exact

A couple of examples

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 08:39:49 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 10:37:15 PM »
Perfect thanks !

And for the front grille , where the 2 corrals and the mustang emblem go ?
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline dave6768

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 08:30:38 PM »
Need to know if you have a GT or not for the grill...they are different.  The GT has a black outer and inner most corral.  The area outside the inner corral, but inside the outer corral are blueish.   I believe the non-GT's are all black.

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 11:58:37 AM »
I believe the non-GT's are all black.

Interesting that you say this. I opened a thread many years ago concerning the 68 grille color. http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2374.msg12374#msg12374.

I strongly believe that at least prior to the strike and soon after the strike, all 68 grilles were two-tone. Since that discussion, I have come across a few more original 68 grilles that had hints of the blue middle corral, but my main evidence still is strike period pictures that have been collected and posted.

I think the grille color deserves a more thorough discussion...

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 11:02:45 PM »
Seen to be sones confusion about the front grill. My car its a c code. Do you have a picture for exemple when you mean two tones ?
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 11:33:08 AM »
What I referred to as the two-tone grille is the same as what others sometimes refer to as the GT grille. The whole grille is painted SG black, then the area between the large corral and the small corral is painted a SG metallic blue that is similar to the 67 grille color. I believe the blue appears darker than the 67 grille color because the blue is painted over the black. Also, the blue is only painted on the front of the grille. Some overspray made it to the back, but no attempt was made to paint over the black on the backside of the grille.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 07:39:56 PM »
What I referred to as the two-tone grille is the same as what others sometimes refer to as the GT grille. The whole grille is painted SG black, then the area between the large corral and the small corral is painted a SG metallic blue that is similar to the 67 grille color. I believe the blue appears darker than the 67 grille color because the blue is painted over the black. Also, the blue is only painted on the front of the grille. Some overspray made it to the back, but no attempt was made to paint over the black on the backside of the grille.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

And we can buy this paint in a mustang shop ?
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline Oz390

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 01:48:17 AM »
This is an early 70s era service replacement showing the two tone pattern Pete mentioned...  As he noted the blue was only sprayed from the front.  The grille was painted before the supports were riveted on as there is no overspray on the uprights.

HTH

The part was hard to photo well with the happy snap cam.

Showing the blue area between the two corrals.

Blue left black right fading in about the hole for the grille emblem/corral mount

Black left blue right fading in about the hole for the grille emblem/corral mount

Part number of the grille which came with it.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:52:53 AM by Oz390 »
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute