Author Topic: Kevin Marti's Tagbook  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Pete Bush

Kevin Marti's Tagbook
« on: June 23, 2010, 08:19:42 PM »
I was using Mr. Marti's book to decipher my Metuchen Buck Tag, but I'm unsure about the meaning of the top line.

c/o  18

I'm reading Marti's pgs. 12-15 about customer ordered vehicles, and his statement at the top of pg. 136 about a "D" and "c/o"  being for "internal plant use only". He doesn't come out and specifically state that the "D" stands for dealer prepared, or the "c/o" stands for customer ordered. One could almost make that assumption,however. Is this how I might interpret that line? If so the "18" next to it would indicate the number of such prepared vehicles worked on that day?
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline sparky65

Re: Kevin Marti's Tagbook
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 10:26:26 PM »
I was using Mr. Marti's book to decipher my Metuchen Buck Tag, but I'm unsure about the meaning of the top line.

c/o  18

I'm reading Marti's pgs. 12-15 about customer ordered vehicles, and his statement at the top of pg. 136 about a "D" and "c/o"  being for "internal plant use only". He doesn't come out and specifically state that the "D" stands for dealer prepared, or the "c/o" stands for customer ordered. One could almost make that assumption,however. Is this how I might interpret that line? If so the "18" next to it would indicate the number of such prepared vehicles worked on that day?

Interesting.  My 67 Metuchen coupe has a D 103.  I am not sure what exactly you mean by "dealer prepared" or "custom ordered" but on the Marti report the order type is listed as Retail.  Dont know if that offers any insight.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 11:32:47 AM »
I've seen many original examples where the order type on a build sheet was inconsistent with the 'D' or 'c/o' stamping on the buck tag.  I agree with Kevin that it was an internal code, but I have not heard or been able to come up with anything definitive.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 02:54:28 PM »
+1 on c/o and D...nothing to apply logic to.

18 represents the rotation number (1-999). The rotation number was not necessarily restarted every day or on every shift.

IMO, the number may have represented the rotation sequence number for build-up based on the grouping of cars released from order for production. Meaning Ford may have released 492 cars at one time from order for assembly at a given assembly plant. The number was not unique to just mustangs but any line(s) at an assembly plant. Thus, the rotation number would have been between 1 and 491. The next order release may have been 200 cars thus, the numbers 1-199 would have been used...

Regards,

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 03:31:40 PM »
That's an interesting theory, never thought of it that way!

Would you happen to have any buck tag examples of 2 cars from the same day?  Surely you do!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 11:59:36 PM »
IMO, the number may have represented the rotation sequence number for build-up based on the grouping of cars released from order for production. Meaning Ford may have released 492 cars at one time from order for assembly at a given assembly plant............................. Thus, the rotation number would have been between 1 and 491. The next order release may have been 200 cars thus, the numbers 1-199 would have been used...

Interesting but it conflicts with what at least one plant manager told me in an interview. Of course he could be mistaken - will have to ask some others
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 66kcoupe

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 01:22:11 PM »
On my 66 coupe, ordered by my father, not dealer stock. Shows c/o on buck tag.
1966 Mustang Hipo Coupe, in the family since new (unrestored)
1991 Mustang LX 5.0 Notchback (daily driver)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 04:30:52 PM »
I think it's pretty safe to say that the c/o or D do not relate to the order type as we have found too many inconsistencies to disprove it.

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 07:37:03 AM »
I think it's pretty safe to say that the c/o or D do not relate to the order type as we have found too many inconsistencies to disprove it.

Charles,

Since discovering the 1968 Order Sheet you posted the other day, I've been curious about your statement above. The Order Sheet uses three main codes:
1 = Retail (a customer order)
2 = Stock (a Dealer)
5 = Fleet (a customer order with multiple units)

The 68 Order Sheet then goes on to further break down these three classifications into subsets of these main types. These can be read in two groups of codes. The first group of codes are:
3 C L 4 7 8
The second group of codes are:
A B D G H J K M N P R S T V X Y Z

I believe that these codes provide a more unique classification of the three major codes Retail, Stock, and Fleet. For instance, a "L" might stand for a car purchased by a Ford employee (just an example here, not fact). To-date I have actual copies of build sheets with Order Types 1, 2, 5, and C. It's interesting to note that the "C" code is a second tier code.

My point being: all of these codes, regardless of the level of detail they provide, can really be summed up with two designations - at the time of building, either there was a retail customer involved, or the car went to stock inventory (and no sale was registered). Now, you say that the two codes on buck sheets of c/o and D do not mean customer order and dealer because of "inconsistencies". My question is: what are these inconsistencies?

If, for instance, you have a copy of a car's build sheet that has an order type 1, and the build sheet has a D, then that is certainly a contradiction in assumed meanings. The same is true if the build sheet has a 2 but the buck tag has a c/o. However, if the build sheet has a 5 and the buck tag has a c/o it still might be correct if we understand that a Fleet sale is simply a multiple unit retail customer.

So when you are saying that there are inconsistencies, can you elaborate on what those are? Your findings might further help my decoding process.  :)

Thanks,
Pete
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 09:36:37 AM by Pete Bush »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 10:12:10 AM »
Seen marti reports that conflict with the c/o and D on the buck tags.  Think about it though, why would a buck tag have a notation for an order type?  There is no need at all for it as related to the build process of the car.  Cars would be scheduled for build based on availability of parts and priority.  A buck tag is a "helper" plate that called out options.  Not all assembly plants used it, so maybe Metuchen had a quality control problem where buck tags were used. 

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 10:41:58 AM »
Cars would be scheduled for build based on availability of parts and priority.

I agree with this statement, and it's the basis for taking another look at the whole c/o and D issue. Ford was in the car-building business to make money. Therefore, the highest priority for them is a "sold" car - as it immediately generates cash flow as soon as the customer takes delivery. A "sold" car is likely to receive priority over a stock vehicle. It still is today:
http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f61/ford-dealer-discusses-orders-allocation-19747/ The buck tag might simply have reinforced that message (the car was already sold) to line works, to expedite the build/sale process.

However, if you've seen Marti Reports where the c/o on the buck tag has a 2 on the build sheet, or the D on the buck tag has a 1 on the build sheet, then that would shoot down my theory and I'll have to re-think it!  ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 12:40:23 PM »
From a factory line worker's perspective, it would make no difference to them.  It would be the responsibility of plant management to schedule the build of cars.  While sold cars may have had priority, I don't think it was as important.  Just last year I helped a friend in Germany order a new F150.  It took over 2 months for it to get built and delivered.  It was a $50k truck too.

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 01:13:49 PM »
It sure is exasperating! Just when you think you have a little piece of Ford figured out, they go and do something totally illogical.  ::)

Well, perhaps the link I provided will give you some insight on how dealer allocation might explain a two month lead time on a new F-150.

I'm sure the hot selling streak that the early Mustangs produced would have strained Ford distribution systems to the max!

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 07:15:11 AM »
However, if you've seen Marti Reports where the c/o on the buck tag has a 2 on the build sheet, or the D on the buck tag has a 1 on the build sheet, then that would shoot down my theory and I'll have to re-think it!  ;)

I thought I'd update this thread. I now have in my possession two photos concerning a Metuchen April built Fastback - one is of the buck tag and one is of the build sheet. The buck tag shows a "D" while the build sheet shows a "1" (which stands for customer order). This proves to me that the "D" does not stand for dealer. I'm still unsure at this point what the significance of the "c/o" and "D" were.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 11:38:24 AM »

I thought I'd update this thread. I now have in my possession two photos concerning a Metuchen April built Fastback - one is of the buck tag and one is of the build sheet. The buck tag shows a "D" while the build sheet shows a "1" (which stands for customer order). This proves to me that the "D" does not stand for dealer. I'm still unsure at this point what the significance of the "c/o" and "D" were.

Myself and others have been trying to tell folks that for years now.  Glad you are convinced, now we have another one on our side!  ;-)

Would encourage you to keep looking into it, you might find something we all missed and be able to solve the meaning of the codes.