Author Topic: 67 Convenience Group, EARLY version: Solenoid wire taped? (yes or no)  (Read 4721 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Early 67 Mustangs with the Convenience Control Panel, have a wire running from between the under-shock tower braces, (under hood, middle of the cowl), along the pinch weld of the LH side of the cowl, through a clip near the brake booster, then drops downwards and runs alongside the headlight wiring harness and on to the starter solenoid (connected to the STARTER cable post).
NOTE: Later versions & 68 versions have this wire running along the RH strut brace...These are DIFFERENT and this type is indicated in the '67 Osborne Assembly manual with a revision date of circa January, 1967)

QUESTION: Is this single wire taped onto the headlight harness on original examples or is it loosely hanging in the same harness straps alongside the headlight harness?

It sure would be great to see an unrestored example of this wire and or wiring. Like my example, many of these have already been tampered with.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 11:56:36 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

1967 eight barrel

They are taped to the headlamp harness. The solenoid feed is also used for vehicles with factory cruise control. Just got my eyes on an 11/66 1967 coupe with the SCG that has about 33,000 original miles.

-Keith

Offline 67gta289

Keith, some pictures would be great if possible.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

Keith, some pictures would be great if possible.

John! Good to hear from you again! I was rather hoping you had a few examples to share too since you have scrounged a few wrecking yards around the country for such parts & details. Always easier with such rare options, to have as many examples to source the "usual pattern" from. Better if we could see Dearborn & New Jersey versions too! The assembly manual really fails to help out at all on what workers ACTUALLY did on the assembly line and in my opinion, the cars typically found on the show field (restored cars) are not any better source of "truth" as my own example is...Just hoping to confirm what I suspect as truth while possibly helping others to improve on their example as well.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

Richard, yes I've been very busy the last three months.  In a week or so I can go through my pictures.  I do recall that the last car that served as a donor (early Dearborn) unfortunately had that wire go through a meltdown.  Fortunately everything else was near perfect, even the sending unit. 
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

1967 eight barrel

Remember, the early feed wire from the solenoid is the same used for vehicles with Cruise Control. They are taped according to information supplied from where the vehicle is at about a 12-14" interval with 3/4" cloth tape.  Where it crosses the cowl over the booster/master there is a clip on the cowl. I am trying to get pictures of that detail being I didn't think to ask for them when the other pictures were sent.
I think I know what clip was used to hold the wiring across the firewall, but I will wait on pictures or conformation.

-Keith

Offline 67gtasanjose

Remember, the early feed wire from the solenoid is the same used for vehicles with Cruise Control. They are taped according to information supplied from where the vehicle is at about a 12-14" interval with 3/4" cloth tape.  Where it crosses the cowl over the booster/master there is a clip on the cowl. I am trying to get pictures of that detail being I didn't think to ask for them when the other pictures were sent.
I think I know what clip was used to hold the wiring across the firewall, but I will wait on pictures or conformation.

-Keith

Cool! Pics are also worth a million words if not too much trouble ;) I like that this one is unmolested!

For what it's worth, I looked at Speed Control Option installation (site Library under 1967) and in the Osborne Assembly manual...The tape is not mentioned either location.

Now, CONVERTIBLE TOP FEED WIRE shows about 12 inch intrevals with 3/4 inch tape so it would only make sense that this single wire would be secured the same way (maybe the same time on a convertible with Convenience Group.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 07:55:29 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

...  Where it crosses the cowl over the booster/master there is a clip on the cowl. I am trying to get pictures of that detail being I didn't think to ask for them when the other pictures were sent.

-Keith

This clip?
Richard Urch

1967 eight barrel

C3SB-14A163-A is the part number.  These are not reproduced. As a matter of fact, the fuel tank sender wire on my Shelby uses one in place of the 372046-S100 that is shown in the assembly manual.
                                                                                 -Keith
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 10:20:27 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Looked through my pictures for 1967 eight barrel last week and could not find any visible evidence of a separate wire in the solenoid area on cars with this option

For what it's worth, I looked at Speed Control Option installation (site Library under 1967) and in the Osborne Assembly manual...The tape is not mentioned either location.

Consider that the instructions often related to the installation of the option by dealers not the assembly plant. Would expect to find differences in routing and other small details when comparing the two installations.

Just a thought  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

Re: 67 Convenience Group, EARLY version: Solenoid wire taped? (yes or no)
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 08:59:53 PM »
Looked through my pictures for 1967 eight barrel last week and could not find any visible evidence of a separate wire in the solenoid area on cars with this option

Consider that the instructions often related to the installation of the option by dealers not the assembly plant. Would expect to find differences in routing and other small details when comparing the two installations.

Just a thought  ;)

Jeff is on the money! If you look in the  Electrical assembly manual on page 57, you'll note it's a revision 16 Jan 67, which superseded 28 Sept 66.
The clip is different on the long version of the solenoid to dash feed. I'm working on other pictures from the 33K unmolested vehicle now for reference.

-Keith

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 07:05:08 AM »
C3SB-14A163-A is the part number.  These are not reproduced. As a matter of fact, the fuel tank sender wire on my Shelby uses one in place of the 372046-S100 that is shown in the assembly manual.
                                                                                 -Keith

I bumped into this clip over at AMK site this morning:
http://www.amkproducts.com/bulk3.asp?part=B%2D13969

Looks much the same as the one I pictured earlier (one pictured earlier believed +95% came from an original example) I would need to take measurements to confirm but at a glance, looks spot-on.
Richard Urch

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 04:05:26 PM »
Jeff,
Something just came to mind. The vehicle in reference has the factory hood turn signal indicators. With that said, is there a clip that was used that held the hood wiring in place on the cowl? I didn't think about that.

-Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 04:56:50 PM »
Jeff,
Something just came to mind. The vehicle in reference has the factory hood turn signal indicators. With that said, is there a clip that was used that held the hood wiring in place on the cowl? I didn't think about that.

In conjunction with the ground on the drivers side there was a plastic "T" shaped retainer that was tapped to the loom at the lower end of the loom before ti attaches to the main loom near the master cylinder

The tap no longer holds this loom to the retainer in this example

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 05:13:59 PM »
In conjunction with the ground on the drivers side there was a plastic "T" shaped retainer that was tapped to the loom at the lower end of the loom before ti attaches to the main loom near the master cylinder

The tap no longer holds this loom to the retainer in this example

This feature of the hood turn light loom being taped to this plastic retainer, (as pictured, and as mentioned,it is pulled loose) on certain applications with the louvered hood option is NOT even on all 67-68 models....Another detail to iron out possibly with more "unrestored" data ;) Nonetheless, this detail is entirely unrelated to the "S" clip needed on the early version Convenience Panel Wire.

Keith, I've looked close at the pictures you provided and though I did not enhance the image, the clip I see the silhouette of looks like the ones I have pictured. Just a kind suggestion, buy one from AMK, I think you'll find it is correct...Better yet, buy two and send me one. :)  I'll lay them side-by-side to my original and upload pictures. Mine has a rubbed edge and I was wondering if I should replace it or not ;)
Richard Urch