Author Topic: '68 GT/CS tail light wiring harness restoration...  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Oz390

'68 GT/CS tail light wiring harness restoration...
« on: June 27, 2016, 04:17:07 PM »
Picked up a set of the T-bird tail light buckets with the OEM wiring intact and in "good" shape.

Restoring the buckets and reflective interior is easy.  The wiring is another story.  Does anyone have some tips on:

1. removing the sockets and somehow replacing corroded springs on the contacts?  Cut and replace and reattach the contact tips?  Source for the springs?

2. replacing the rubber/plastic "boots" over the end of the wire at the socket.

3. replacing the woven covering (think this needs to be done prior to adding the plug ends, but figured I'd ask anyway...) 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 04:21:53 PM by Oz390 »
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline ruppstang

Re: '68 GT/CS tail light wiring harness restoration...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 05:17:45 PM »
Buy a new set from Pete Disher @ the corralsnake.com

Offline Oz390

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 05:37:45 PM »
Have bought a lot of wiring from Pete, and have some of those, very nice parts... but hoping to restore the OEM...

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 11:55:24 PM »
Picked up a set of the T-bird tail light buckets with the OEM wiring intact and in "good" shape.

Restoring the buckets and reflective interior is easy.  The wiring is another story.  Does anyone have some tips on:

1. removing the sockets and somehow replacing corroded springs on the contacts?  Cut and replace and reattach the contact tips?  Source for the springs?

2. replacing the rubber/plastic "boots" over the end of the wire at the socket.

3. replacing the woven covering (think this needs to be done prior to adding the plug ends, but figured I'd ask anyway...)
If the wiring needs all of that to be usable or restored it is in less then good shape. The boot end of the receptacle and spring once separated are very difficult to get back together with a reasonable appearance. It is better to start out with a receptacle that doesn't need that extensive of attention. The weave material is another thing there are those that do it but it doesn't have the appearance of the originals. If restoring these units you are faced with compromises. "That is just the way it is "  as a southern Indiana friend likes to say.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 03:15:11 PM »
Bob, Sounds like something Rich from Mustangs to Fear would say....

-Keith

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 03:24:20 PM »

-Keith

...and somebody who is "Special"too ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Oz390

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 07:08:23 PM »
Well, it was just a query to see about taking some "hobby time" to play around and fix up a hard to find and original part. 

Kinda odd the only path seems to be "buy a repro" or to go find the apparently readily available NOS 50 year old part!  ;)

They are in "OK" shape, and work.  All connectors in place, no cut wires or significant damage/wear other than the bad springs in the sockets. So I'll be playing around with them.  If any process comes of it that works to fix 'em up a it I'll post info in case anyone is interested...

Thanks for the replies.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 08:08:57 PM »
Well, it was just a query to see about taking some "hobby time" to play around and fix up a hard to find and original part. 

Kinda odd the only path seems to be "buy a repro" or to go find the apparently readily available NOS 50 year old part!  ;)

They are in "OK" shape, and work.  All connectors in place, no cut wires or significant damage/wear other than the bad springs in the sockets. So I'll be playing around with them.  If any process comes of it that works to fix 'em up a it I'll post info in case anyone is interested...

Thanks for the replies.
As I wrote ,it can be done but not really worth the effort given the typical results. No reason for the sarcasm on the repro to NOS part extreme as I was only giving you the advantage of knowing the general conscience of opinion on what you are trying to do (mistakes I and others have made) and not trying to demean your effort.  I understand it is a lot easier here in the states to find a nice original alternative then down under but hate for any of us to waste our time typically which was my intent to save you from.  Best of luck on your effort.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 10:19:29 PM »
If you need any piece parts internal to the sockets, I can probably provide them.  I even have some GT/CS tail harnesses in stock but haven't looked at them closely to determine their condition other than they are not pristine.

Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Oz390

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 07:58:48 PM »
Bob, I don't put a dollar value on my hobby/tinker time.  How much is enjoying what you do worth to pay to not do it?  :) Question was on how to repair, not if folks thought it had a financial ROI, or if they would make the effort... I have the time and interest, and like fixing things instead of tossing them.  IMHO every old part you toss is one less original to use.

Thanks Randy... I've got the disassembly part figured out and am pretty sure I can get them back together in working condition, just need to see if I can the right springs locally.  I'll just leave the existing boots, as the heat sealed ends make removal very hard and it appears no repros are available.  So they stay and just get cleaned up.  If I get stuck or have questions I'll ping you. 

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 08:53:55 PM »
I'd be interested in how you took apart those sockets...I've tried without success.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 09:03:41 PM »
Bob, I don't put a dollar value on my hobby/tinker time.  How much is enjoying what you do worth to pay to not do it?  :) Question was on how to repair, not if folks thought it had a financial ROI, or if they would make the effort... I have the time and interest, and like fixing things instead of tossing them.  IMHO every old part you toss is one less original to use.

Thanks Randy... I've got the disassembly part figured out and am pretty sure I can get them back together in working condition, just need to see if I can the right springs locally.  I'll just leave the existing boots, as the heat sealed ends make removal very hard and it appears no repros are available.  So they stay and just get cleaned up.  If I get stuck or have questions I'll ping you.
You must have misinterpreted my post because I didn't mention dollars or put a dollar value on anything ? You seem to be mean spirited towards me in your reply to my post even with your  :)  and your sermon after.  I don't like people making erroneously statements in my regard and I am calling you on yours in regards to my post. I did say it wasn't "really worth the effort given the typical results" . I am used to getting results for my effort comparable to what a new part performs and looks like and it is reasonably to assume so do others. Your interpretation of the "good condition" was not what most people who use those parts would consider good . I assumed you were unfamiliar with the alternatives because of your statements. I have used a lot of the taillight buckets and wiring on the many Shelby's I have owned ,worked on or provided buckets for others.  Others reading may also get the wrong idea from your less then accurate evaluation of what is "good" based on the description you gave.   I have rusty and pitted parts that I could repair but they would not be good enough to put on any of my cars. If you can make it work and you are satisfied with your work and have time on your hands more power to you. I was trying to be helpful to you and to those who may be reading now in the future. If you don't think that was my intent then you are mistaken. Your snarky commentary is not appreciated or appropriate here . 

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 04:40:43 PM »

That was my first thought as well, sounds like Rich.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 05:08:22 PM »
That was my first thought as well, sounds like Rich.
Actually it a  Ed ism  from "special Ed" Meyer .

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 05:33:09 PM »
...and somebody who is "Special"too ;)

:D
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments