Author Topic: 68 coil spring installation problem ! Need help !!!  (Read 1210 times)

Offline mhubert89

68 coil spring installation problem ! Need help !!!
« on: June 23, 2016, 08:07:06 PM »
Hi ,

Oki i will try to explain the best i can myself ( i am french speaking ) . I install my coil spring on passager side. Now i try to install my driver side.. The coil when i loose the installing tool finish alway by popping for the upper lips. I try to put the rubber before , i try with tape on it .... I try with the suspension as is lower and i try to jack the lower control arm ... I try everything and finish alway by popping for upper back edge !!! What i do that is the mistake ??

Always popping where is the brown tape at left on the first picture !!
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 68 coil spring installation problem ! Need help !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 08:14:18 PM »
You have the wrong spring compressor. Mustangs use a specific compressor that when used, you'll avoid all of the problems you are having. Somebody should have a picture of one that they can easily post they will chime in shortly I'm sure.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 10:05:32 PM »
So you think its the tool the problem ?

I compress the spring, but in place , start to loose the tool and after une couple turn , the top of the spring start sliding from the top insulator and just not staying at is place in the too insulator !
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 12:29:02 AM »
Here's a home made spring compressor that works on Mustangs. The threaded rod is 5/8-18; the upper round disc is 3/8 inch thick, 5 1/2 inch dia, there's a spacer welded to it; the bottom bar is 3/8 thick, 2 X 5 inches, with four 1/4-20 tapped holes with washers and nuts to  match the bottom angle of the spring and retain it; the bottom nuts are a standard hex and a hex jam nut (the bottom one was a nylock type but I upgraded) that need to be very tight; the upper nut is a coupler nut to spread the load; several washers with grease between the coupler nut and the upper disc act as bearings. It's not an over kill design.
The bottom picture is from a Ford Shop Manual showing what Ford uses. Snap-On Tools makes a similar version but for MacPherson strut springs - $261.00.
All I can say is mine works. I made two of my version, kept one. On the first "public" demonstration, I took the LH spring off with mine in less than five minutes, walked around to the RH side where the claw type was being used and waited - and waited. We finally removed the claw and used my tool on the RH spring.
I cannot stress that the coil springs can come loose and can do SERIOUS injury.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 06:09:47 AM »
There are several other threads on this subject but of the ones I just reviewed, this looks to be the most comprehensive.
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9030.msg52718#msg52718

Hope it helps.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 08:09:57 PM »
Finally put in place ! Use my compressor put i put the fork on the top of the shock tower ! Use another set of compressor for outside to put the spring in shock tower and lift them with the other compressor ! Thanks everyone for your help !
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed